Really slow after upgrade to XP Pro

I recently upgraded a computer from Win 98 to Win XP Pro. The system is a
Pentium 3, 736 MHz with 384 MB RAM. Some software is fine (Excel 2003,
Outlook 2003, Internet Explorer) and some is incredibly slow to load (Word
2003). I also am having trouble getting Norton Antivirus 2005 to load. I
can't seem to uninstall it to run it again and possibly fix any corrupt files
that may be causing the problem. I have gone into system and selected run to
optimum performance for software. I have defragged it, run Adaware and
Spybot. It seems that there is enough RAM to handle most of the applications
- any suggestions as to why I am having problems with select programs? It
just seems to hang forever, then finally comes up about half the time. It
also seems that the shortcuts aren't working properly for the problem
software, even though I have redone them to ensure a proper link. I
apologize if I have left out any important info and I'll be happy to provide
it should it help you brainstorm my issues.
9 answers Last reply
More about really slow upgrade

    Youre at just about min in ram for xp,however,did you run disk clean up and
    deleted extra 98 files,then defrag the hd...98 runs in FAT32 file system xp
    should be in ntfs,try converting-start,run,type:cmd In cmd type:CONVERT C:
    /FS:
    ntfs

    "Monro_Nine" wrote:

    > I recently upgraded a computer from Win 98 to Win XP Pro. The system is a
    > Pentium 3, 736 MHz with 384 MB RAM. Some software is fine (Excel 2003,
    > Outlook 2003, Internet Explorer) and some is incredibly slow to load (Word
    > 2003). I also am having trouble getting Norton Antivirus 2005 to load. I
    > can't seem to uninstall it to run it again and possibly fix any corrupt files
    > that may be causing the problem. I have gone into system and selected run to
    > optimum performance for software. I have defragged it, run Adaware and
    > Spybot. It seems that there is enough RAM to handle most of the applications
    > - any suggestions as to why I am having problems with select programs? It
    > just seems to hang forever, then finally comes up about half the time. It
    > also seems that the shortcuts aren't working properly for the problem
    > software, even though I have redone them to ensure a proper link. I
    > apologize if I have left out any important info and I'll be happy to provide
    > it should it help you brainstorm my issues.

    Hi, Monro_Nine,
    Concerning MS Word being slow to load, it has so many bells and whistles
    that I believe it is slow for most everyone. At least, it is for me.
    About Norton AntiVirus, please see if you can find help here:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/5faa3ca6df6f549888256edd0061c0a4/7ceb3503648530e188256efd00687259?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam
    Hope this helps,
    rosebeauty

    P.S.: same destination; much shorter url: http://tinyurl.com/6d2yg

    "rosebeauty" wrote:

    > Hi, Monro_Nine,
    > Concerning MS Word being slow to load, it has so many bells and whistles
    > that I believe it is slow for most everyone. At least, it is for me.
    > About Norton AntiVirus, please see if you can find help here:
    > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/5faa3ca6df6f549888256edd0061c0a4/7ceb3503648530e188256efd00687259?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam
    > Hope this helps,
    > rosebeauty
    >
    > "Monro_Nine" wrote:
    >
    > > I recently upgraded a computer from Win 98 to Win XP Pro. The system is a
    > > Pentium 3, 736 MHz with 384 MB RAM. Some software is fine (Excel 2003,
    > > Outlook 2003, Internet Explorer) and some is incredibly slow to load (Word
    > > 2003). I also am having trouble getting Norton Antivirus 2005 to load. I
    > > can't seem to uninstall it to run it again and possibly fix any corrupt files
    > > that may be causing the problem. I have gone into system and selected run to
    > > optimum performance for software. I have defragged it, run Adaware and
    > > Spybot. It seems that there is enough RAM to handle most of the applications
    > > - any suggestions as to why I am having problems with select programs? It
    > > just seems to hang forever, then finally comes up about half the time. It
    > > also seems that the shortcuts aren't working properly for the problem
    > > software, even though I have redone them to ensure a proper link. I
    > > apologize if I have left out any important info and I'll be happy to provide
    > > it should it help you brainstorm my issues.

    It seems that I now have my Antivirus issues worked out, thank you
    Rosebeauty! Fixing that seems to also have taken care of my Word 2003
    problem. I'm not quite sure how, but I won't question a good thing. I will
    experiment a little further to ensure that all is well. Thank you all so
    much for your help - it is much appreciated!

    On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 23:06:01 -0700, Andrew E. <eckrichco@msn.com>
    wrote:

    > Youre at just about min in ram for xp,however,did you run disk clean up and
    > deleted extra 98 files,then defrag the hd...98 runs in FAT32 file system xp
    > should be in ntfs,try converting-start,run,type:cmd In cmd type:CONVERT C:
    >/FS:
    > ntfs

    This is *not* a good idea. First, FAT 32 is faster with <60Gb drives
    and converting could leave the OP with 512b allocation units and very
    slow performance.

    Best keep quiet and have people think you are stupid, than opening it
    and removing all doubt.

    --
    Cheers,

    Guy

    I'm pleased to hear that things are looking up for you. Good luck in the
    future!
    rosebeauty

    rosebeauty schreef:
    > Hi, Monro_Nine,
    > Concerning MS Word being slow to load, it has so many bells and whistles
    > that I believe it is slow for most everyone. At least, it is for me.
    > About Norton AntiVirus, please see if you can find help here:
    > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/5faa3ca6df6f549888256edd0061c0a4/7ceb3503648530e188256efd00687259?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam
    > Hope this helps,
    > rosebeauty
    >
    > "Monro_Nine" wrote:
    >

    >>I recently upgraded a computer from Win 98 to Win XP Pro. The system is a
    >>Pentium 3, 736 MHz with 384 MB RAM. Some software is fine (Excel 2003,
    >>Outlook 2003, Internet Explorer) and some is incredibly slow to load (Word
    >>2003). I also am having trouble getting Norton Antivirus 2005 to load. I
    >>can't seem to uninstall it to run it again and possibly fix any corrupt files
    >>that may be causing the problem. I have gone into system and selected run to
    >>optimum performance for software. I have defragged it, run Adaware and
    >>Spybot. It seems that there is enough RAM to handle most of the applications
    >>- any suggestions as to why I am having problems with select programs? It
    >>just seems to hang forever, then finally comes up about half the time. It
    >>also seems that the shortcuts aren't working properly for the problem
    >>software, even though I have redone them to ensure a proper link. I
    >>apologize if I have left out any important info and I'll be happy to provide
    >>it should it help you brainstorm my issues.

    hi there,

    did you look for the amount of programs that start with installing xp?
    since you did install xp and probely install ms words and ecxell it will
    probely startup together with xp.
    try to find an older version jv16 powertools or cacheman xp, it will
    tell you wath will startup, ccleaner also can do a good job, and search
    for blackviper and try to set your services as sharp as can be, services
    cost you ram and so if you can switch some services and some programs of
    when you start xp you realy will get an improvement of your system.

    gr dilbert

    Try some other antiviru program llike AVG Professional. Norton Antivirus
    is indeed a load on PCs.

    babarjahangir@gmail.com

    --
    Babar Jahangir
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    I suspect the reason that I was having issues opening Word 2003 is that it
    does a virus scan upon opening. Once I fixed Norton, the scan could complete
    without problems and Word now opens within a normal amount of time. The
    system is still running fine without any hangups or long waits for programs
    to load. Thanks again everyone, for your help!

    "Babar Jahangir" wrote:

    > Try some other antiviru program llike AVG Professional. Norton Antivirus
    > is indeed a load on PCs.
    >
    > babarjahangir@gmail.com
    >

    > --
    > Babar Jahangir