Really slow after upgrade to XP Pro

August 6, 2005 12:43:15 AM

I recently upgraded a computer from Win 98 to Win XP Pro. The system is a
Pentium 3, 736 MHz with 384 MB RAM. Some software is fine (Excel 2003,
Outlook 2003, Internet Explorer) and some is incredibly slow to load (Word
2003). I also am having trouble getting Norton Antivirus 2005 to load. I
can't seem to uninstall it to run it again and possibly fix any corrupt files
that may be causing the problem. I have gone into system and selected run to
optimum performance for software. I have defragged it, run Adaware and
Spybot. It seems that there is enough RAM to handle most of the applications
- any suggestions as to why I am having problems with select programs? It
just seems to hang forever, then finally comes up about half the time. It
also seems that the shortcuts aren't working properly for the problem
software, even though I have redone them to ensure a proper link. I
apologize if I have left out any important info and I'll be happy to provide
it should it help you brainstorm my issues.

More about : slow upgrade pro

Anonymous
August 6, 2005 3:06:01 AM

Youre at just about min in ram for xp,however,did you run disk clean up and
deleted extra 98 files,then defrag the hd...98 runs in FAT32 file system xp
should be in ntfs,try converting-start,run,type:cmd In cmd type:CONVERT C:
/FS:
ntfs

"Monro_Nine" wrote:

> I recently upgraded a computer from Win 98 to Win XP Pro. The system is a
> Pentium 3, 736 MHz with 384 MB RAM. Some software is fine (Excel 2003,
> Outlook 2003, Internet Explorer) and some is incredibly slow to load (Word
> 2003). I also am having trouble getting Norton Antivirus 2005 to load. I
> can't seem to uninstall it to run it again and possibly fix any corrupt files
> that may be causing the problem. I have gone into system and selected run to
> optimum performance for software. I have defragged it, run Adaware and
> Spybot. It seems that there is enough RAM to handle most of the applications
> - any suggestions as to why I am having problems with select programs? It
> just seems to hang forever, then finally comes up about half the time. It
> also seems that the shortcuts aren't working properly for the problem
> software, even though I have redone them to ensure a proper link. I
> apologize if I have left out any important info and I'll be happy to provide
> it should it help you brainstorm my issues.
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 7:49:01 AM

Hi, Monro_Nine,
Concerning MS Word being slow to load, it has so many bells and whistles
that I believe it is slow for most everyone. At least, it is for me.
About Norton AntiVirus, please see if you can find help here:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/5faa3ca6df...
Hope this helps,
rosebeauty

"Monro_Nine" wrote:

> I recently upgraded a computer from Win 98 to Win XP Pro. The system is a
> Pentium 3, 736 MHz with 384 MB RAM. Some software is fine (Excel 2003,
> Outlook 2003, Internet Explorer) and some is incredibly slow to load (Word
> 2003). I also am having trouble getting Norton Antivirus 2005 to load. I
> can't seem to uninstall it to run it again and possibly fix any corrupt files
> that may be causing the problem. I have gone into system and selected run to
> optimum performance for software. I have defragged it, run Adaware and
> Spybot. It seems that there is enough RAM to handle most of the applications
> - any suggestions as to why I am having problems with select programs? It
> just seems to hang forever, then finally comes up about half the time. It
> also seems that the shortcuts aren't working properly for the problem
> software, even though I have redone them to ensure a proper link. I
> apologize if I have left out any important info and I'll be happy to provide
> it should it help you brainstorm my issues.
August 6, 2005 7:56:01 AM

P.S.: same destination; much shorter url: http://tinyurl.com/6d2yg

"rosebeauty" wrote:

> Hi, Monro_Nine,
> Concerning MS Word being slow to load, it has so many bells and whistles
> that I believe it is slow for most everyone. At least, it is for me.
> About Norton AntiVirus, please see if you can find help here:
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/5faa3ca6df...
> Hope this helps,
> rosebeauty
>
> "Monro_Nine" wrote:
>
> > I recently upgraded a computer from Win 98 to Win XP Pro. The system is a
> > Pentium 3, 736 MHz with 384 MB RAM. Some software is fine (Excel 2003,
> > Outlook 2003, Internet Explorer) and some is incredibly slow to load (Word
> > 2003). I also am having trouble getting Norton Antivirus 2005 to load. I
> > can't seem to uninstall it to run it again and possibly fix any corrupt files
> > that may be causing the problem. I have gone into system and selected run to
> > optimum performance for software. I have defragged it, run Adaware and
> > Spybot. It seems that there is enough RAM to handle most of the applications
> > - any suggestions as to why I am having problems with select programs? It
> > just seems to hang forever, then finally comes up about half the time. It
> > also seems that the shortcuts aren't working properly for the problem
> > software, even though I have redone them to ensure a proper link. I
> > apologize if I have left out any important info and I'll be happy to provide
> > it should it help you brainstorm my issues.
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 4:54:02 PM

It seems that I now have my Antivirus issues worked out, thank you
Rosebeauty! Fixing that seems to also have taken care of my Word 2003
problem. I'm not quite sure how, but I won't question a good thing. I will
experiment a little further to ensure that all is well. Thank you all so
much for your help - it is much appreciated!

"Monro_Nine" wrote:

> I recently upgraded a computer from Win 98 to Win XP Pro. The system is a
> Pentium 3, 736 MHz with 384 MB RAM. Some software is fine (Excel 2003,
> Outlook 2003, Internet Explorer) and some is incredibly slow to load (Word
> 2003). I also am having trouble getting Norton Antivirus 2005 to load. I
> can't seem to uninstall it to run it again and possibly fix any corrupt files
> that may be causing the problem. I have gone into system and selected run to
> optimum performance for software. I have defragged it, run Adaware and
> Spybot. It seems that there is enough RAM to handle most of the applications
> - any suggestions as to why I am having problems with select programs? It
> just seems to hang forever, then finally comes up about half the time. It
> also seems that the shortcuts aren't working properly for the problem
> software, even though I have redone them to ensure a proper link. I
> apologize if I have left out any important info and I'll be happy to provide
> it should it help you brainstorm my issues.
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 5:53:36 PM

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 23:06:01 -0700, Andrew E. <eckrichco@msn.com>
wrote:

> Youre at just about min in ram for xp,however,did you run disk clean up and
> deleted extra 98 files,then defrag the hd...98 runs in FAT32 file system xp
> should be in ntfs,try converting-start,run,type:cmd In cmd type:CONVERT C:
>/FS:
> ntfs

This is *not* a good idea. First, FAT 32 is faster with <60Gb drives
and converting could leave the OP with 512b allocation units and very
slow performance.

Best keep quiet and have people think you are stupid, than opening it
and removing all doubt.

--
Cheers,

Guy

August 6, 2005 9:50:08 PM

I'm pleased to hear that things are looking up for you. Good luck in the
future!
rosebeauty

"Monro_Nine" wrote:

> It seems that I now have my Antivirus issues worked out, thank you
> Rosebeauty! Fixing that seems to also have taken care of my Word 2003
> problem. I'm not quite sure how, but I won't question a good thing. I will
> experiment a little further to ensure that all is well. Thank you all so
> much for your help - it is much appreciated!
>

> "Monro_Nine" wrote:
>
> > I recently upgraded a computer from Win 98 to Win XP Pro. The system is a
> > Pentium 3, 736 MHz with 384 MB RAM. Some software is fine (Excel 2003,
> > Outlook 2003, Internet Explorer) and some is incredibly slow to load (Word
> > 2003). I also am having trouble getting Norton Antivirus 2005 to load. I
> > can't seem to uninstall it to run it again and possibly fix any corrupt files
> > that may be causing the problem. I have gone into system and selected run to
> > optimum performance for software. I have defragged it, run Adaware and
> > Spybot. It seems that there is enough RAM to handle most of the applications
> > - any suggestions as to why I am having problems with select programs? It
> > just seems to hang forever, then finally comes up about half the time. It
> > also seems that the shortcuts aren't working properly for the problem
> > software, even though I have redone them to ensure a proper link. I
> > apologize if I have left out any important info and I'll be happy to provide
> > it should it help you brainstorm my issues.
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 3:14:11 PM

rosebeauty schreef:
> Hi, Monro_Nine,
> Concerning MS Word being slow to load, it has so many bells and whistles
> that I believe it is slow for most everyone. At least, it is for me.
> About Norton AntiVirus, please see if you can find help here:
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/5faa3ca6df...
> Hope this helps,
> rosebeauty
>
> "Monro_Nine" wrote:
>

>>I recently upgraded a computer from Win 98 to Win XP Pro. The system is a
>>Pentium 3, 736 MHz with 384 MB RAM. Some software is fine (Excel 2003,
>>Outlook 2003, Internet Explorer) and some is incredibly slow to load (Word
>>2003). I also am having trouble getting Norton Antivirus 2005 to load. I
>>can't seem to uninstall it to run it again and possibly fix any corrupt files
>>that may be causing the problem. I have gone into system and selected run to
>>optimum performance for software. I have defragged it, run Adaware and
>>Spybot. It seems that there is enough RAM to handle most of the applications
>>- any suggestions as to why I am having problems with select programs? It
>>just seems to hang forever, then finally comes up about half the time. It
>>also seems that the shortcuts aren't working properly for the problem
>>software, even though I have redone them to ensure a proper link. I
>>apologize if I have left out any important info and I'll be happy to provide
>>it should it help you brainstorm my issues.

hi there,

did you look for the amount of programs that start with installing xp?
since you did install xp and probely install ms words and ecxell it will
probely startup together with xp.
try to find an older version jv16 powertools or cacheman xp, it will
tell you wath will startup, ccleaner also can do a good job, and search
for blackviper and try to set your services as sharp as can be, services
cost you ram and so if you can switch some services and some programs of
when you start xp you realy will get an improvement of your system.

gr dilbert
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 5:33:00 PM

Try some other antiviru program llike AVG Professional. Norton Antivirus
is indeed a load on PCs.

babarjahangir@gmail.com

--
Babar Jahangir
August 8, 2005 10:33:03 AM

I suspect the reason that I was having issues opening Word 2003 is that it
does a virus scan upon opening. Once I fixed Norton, the scan could complete
without problems and Word now opens within a normal amount of time. The
system is still running fine without any hangups or long waits for programs
to load. Thanks again everyone, for your help!