Format & Re-Install w/o disturbing OTHER partitions?

I know :-( it's a LAST resort before having a DSL Tech come out:

Your Throughput

Download = 57.91 kbps
Upload = 433.18 kbps

I have SBC DSL Pro and have been getting, generally, the above referenced
speeds; since last wednesday.

Updated and ran:

AVG7
Ad-Aware
Spywareblaster
SpyBot

Yes: I checked the "Windows Update" website. No new updates . . except
for the SP2, which I do NOT have.

No improvement. I then decided to try the SBC SpeedTest in "Safe Mode",
again--- no improvement.

SBCDirect has done a line test and I did a tracert, submitting that info
to them.

They now want to send a "tech" out, at a possible fee.

The LAST RESORT is to FORMAT only drive c: and reinstall XP Pro. Copying
everything from d:,e: & f: would require one hundred seventy-five (175)
CD's and a LOT of time.

Do I format from a cmd prompt? or with the CD? I ask, because on a
previous format (CD) - all partitions were removed. That was a
devastating: nightmare in hell. :-(

Thanks.

Why would you reinstall xp because of a DSL connection....If thier software
is installed,you might chk youre internet connection hardware and look for
updates from the mfg.DSL speed is increases in upload time,yet download
is about dial-up connection speed,youre figures are about right..

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 23:38:29 -0700, Andrew E. <eckrichco@msn.com>
wrote:

> Why would you reinstall xp because of a DSL connection....If thier software
> is installed,you might chk youre internet connection hardware and look for
> updates from the mfg.DSL speed is increases in upload time,yet download
> is about dial-up connection speed,youre figures are about right..

I doubt whether DSL download speeds are going to be 57kbps
(dialupspeed), while upload speeds are over 400kbps, unless one has a
sick system. I think perhaps you have confused "download" with
"upload" and vice versa.

Usually, DSL download speeds are 128kbps, 256kbps, 512kbps, 1024kbps,
1.5Mbps, while upload speeds are closer to 128kbps.

>"j_backer" wrote:
>
>> I know :-( it's a LAST resort before having a DSL Tech come out:
>>
>> Your Throughput
>>
>> Download = 57.91 kbps
>> Upload = 433.18 kbps

If these reflect your true download and upload speeds, your system is
sick. These times should be reversed. Perhaps you have confused the
words "download" and "upload", in which case the above figures would
be closer to normal DSL speeds.

>> I have SBC DSL Pro and have been getting, generally, the above referenced
>> speeds; since last wednesday.
>>
>> Updated and ran:
>>
>> AVG7
>> Ad-Aware
>> Spywareblaster
>> SpyBot
>>
>> Yes: I checked the "Windows Update" website. No new updates . . except
>> for the SP2, which I do NOT have.
>>
>> No improvement. I then decided to try the SBC SpeedTest in "Safe Mode",
>> again--- no improvement.
>>
>> SBCDirect has done a line test and I did a tracert, submitting that info
>> to them.
>>
>> They now want to send a "tech" out, at a possible fee.
>>
>> The LAST RESORT is to FORMAT only drive c: and reinstall XP Pro. Copying
>> everything from d:,e: & f: would require one hundred seventy-five (175)
>> CD's and a LOT of time.
>>
>> Do I format from a cmd prompt? or with the CD? I ask, because on a
>> previous format (CD) - all partitions were removed. That was a
>> devastating: nightmare in hell. :-(

When you are truly in need of reformatting, ask again, and we will
give you instructions. Reformatting and reinstalling would indeed be
a last resort, and I feel would solve nothing; though it might.
Sometimes these things clear up after doing a clean install of XP.
Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread
so that conversations may be kept in order

Found a "tutorial":

http://rcc.bgsu.edu/computing/xpformat/

I did copy "I386" to drive f:, as I seem to recall having several problems
with that folder previously.

j_backer schreef:
> I know :-( it's a LAST resort before having a DSL Tech come out:
>
> Your Throughput
>
> Download = 57.91 kbps
> Upload = 433.18 kbps
>
> I have SBC DSL Pro and have been getting, generally, the above referenced
> speeds; since last wednesday.
>
> Updated and ran:
>
> AVG7
> Ad-Aware
> Spywareblaster
> SpyBot
>
> Yes: I checked the "Windows Update" website. No new updates . . except
> for the SP2, which I do NOT have.
>
> No improvement. I then decided to try the SBC SpeedTest in "Safe Mode",
> again--- no improvement.
>
> SBCDirect has done a line test and I did a tracert, submitting that info
> to them.
>
> They now want to send a "tech" out, at a possible fee.
>
> The LAST RESORT is to FORMAT only drive c: and reinstall XP Pro. Copying
> everything from d:,e: & f: would require one hundred seventy-five (175)
> CD's and a LOT of time.
>
> Do I format from a cmd prompt? or with the CD? I ask, because on a
> previous format (CD) - all partitions were removed. That was a
> devastating: nightmare in hell. :-(
>
> Thanks.

try the free antispyware from microsoft, it could realy help.

gr, dilbert

I did the format and install and

931835 (Brecksville OH)
Your Throughput
Download = 1.960 Mbps
Upload = 438.93 kbps

on the FIRST speed test, but it went down--- real quick:

Chicago:

931840
Your Throughput
Download = 761.71 kbps
Upload = 435.58 kbps

and then Brecksville OH again:

931863
Your Throughput
Download = 983.89 kbps
Upload = 468.82 kbps

I have SBC DSL Pro: 1.5-3.0/512 and should receive nothing LESS than---
1.5 on DL's.

Yes, you are correct: Reformatting and reinstalling solved nothing. :-(

I have posted the results to SBC Direct and requested a 'technician
visit'.

Should have done that first. Slow internet access rarely has anything to do with Windows.

Ted Zieglar

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 01:13:30 -0400, Ted Zieglar wrote:

> Should have done that first. Slow internet access rarely has anything to
> do with Windows.
>
> Ted Zieglar

Ted:

Quote from OP:
"SBCDirect has done a line test and I did a tracert, submitting that info
to them.

They now want to send a "tech" out, at a possible fee."

END OF QUOTE

When Justin telephoned from ASI, he said "it is probably your computer and
if it is; there will be a charge for sending the tech out."

I wanted to know that it was [not my computer] before authorizing the tech
visit, as I, for one, do not have an--- abundance of money . . . to toss
away.

Johann

I didn't say "impossible", I said "rarely". ISPs IME never say it's their fault. And they use the threat of a truck roll for money against their subscribers.

Ted Zieglar

"Johann-Backer" <j_backerREMOVE@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:pan.2005.08.08.07.09.11.139000@prodigy.net...
> On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 01:13:30 -0400, Ted Zieglar wrote:
>
>> Should have done that first. Slow internet access rarely has anything to
>> do with Windows.
>>
>> Ted Zieglar
>
> Ted:
>
> Quote from OP:
> "SBCDirect has done a line test and I did a tracert, submitting that info
> to them.
>
> They now want to send a "tech" out, at a possible fee."
>
> END OF QUOTE
>
> When Justin telephoned from ASI, he said "it is probably your computer and
> if it is; there will be a charge for sending the tech out."
>
> I wanted to know that it was [not my computer] before authorizing the tech
> visit, as I, for one, do not have an--- abundance of money . . . to toss
> away.
>
> Johann

TRENDING THREADS