computer won't even boot up in Safe Mode

A friend is visiting from out of state, and his laptop (running Windows XP
Home Edition) has developed some problem so that he can't get it to boot up;
not even in Safe Mode. He doesn't have his installation disk with him, so
he's stuck with a dead computer.

Is there some utility that I can burn to CD-R that he can use to boot his
laptop from? Perhaps Disk Recovery?

rch427 wrote:
> A friend is visiting from out of state, and his laptop (running
> Windows XP Home Edition) has developed some problem so that he can't
> get it to boot up; not even in Safe Mode. He doesn't have his
> installation disk with him, so he's stuck with a dead computer.
>
> Is there some utility that I can burn to CD-R that he can use to boot
> his laptop from? Perhaps Disk Recovery?

Being a laptop, it was installed using an OEM CD - most likely. You may be
able to use a Generic OEM CD (if you have one) to boot up and repair it -
maybe.

If (at this point) you want to get the data off and then perhaps purchase
and install a different copy of Windows XP, you could try that.

Ultimate Boot CD
http://www.ubcd4win.com/

--
Shenan Stanley