10/100 nic seen as 10Mb by switch :(

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A friend of mine has a Linksys wireless router w/4 port switch. He currently doesn't have an Internet connection, & uses the router as a DHCP server for his Compaq desktop pc & his Viewsonic Tablet PC.

When I plug his desktop into the switch, the 100Mb light doesn't light; Windows Me device manager tells me the nic is a Intel 10/100 device. I thought that maybe the cable was the problem, so I switched cables with the tablet but the same thing happens (i.e., the tablet is again correctly recognised at 100Mb, while the desktop continues to be shown as having a 10Mb connection).

I tried reloading the divers (& TCP/IP), but the issue persists. If I attempt to force the nic to run at 100Mb instead of "auto sense", WinMe refuses to boot normally & goes into safe mode.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

I amd innocent intel proven guilty

casiowatch

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2002
Ron Jeremy, nice name.

Could it be that the NIC is not working correctly? Try transfering some files and see if they exceed 10mbs. I don't know about nic's but i know that some aren't of good quality because they are so cheap.

See if the nic works on another computer. If it does, then it's a driver problems on your desktop. If it doesn't see if you can upgrade the firmware of the nic.

-----
<b>All the world's problems can be solved through COMMON SENSE<b>

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I found out that this particular nic found on board certain Compaq Presario's is really only a 10Mb device. Grrrrr.

Thanks for trying to help :)

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

I amd innocent intel proven guilty

sbolinger2

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
Look here:
Control Panel --> Network --> (Highlight your NIC) push 'properties' button --> click 'advanced' tab on top --> in the 'values' drop down menu on the right is a setting to hold a 10/100 card to 10Mbps. The setting could be '10Mbps', but should be 'half-duplex'. This is the only way I know of to manually force a 10/100 NIC to 10Mbps in a 100baseTX network. If it is already 'half-duplex', I'm not sure where else to look. Good luck!

casiowatch

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2002
Yeah you should, lol, but good info though. Sucks that he got a 10mb nic when 100mb nics are so popular and cheap to provide.

-----
<b>All the world's problems can be solved through COMMON SENSE<b>