Sign in with
Your question

Do any of these game types exist anywhere anymore?

Last response: in Video Games
August 5, 2003 4:01:19 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for two game recommendations. First of all, I am after a game like Full Throttle or Broken Sword. Man, Full Throttle is still my favourite game, even today, something like 9 years after it was released...

I am not sure what kind of genre comes under, however there seem to be less and less of these, in fact Broken Sword and Full Throttle are the only two in that type of genre that I have played.

Are there any, old or new, that you can suggest and name? That way I can raid my local computer shop and see which of the ones listed he stocks. The fun I had with Full Throttle was amazing! Broken Sword was fantastic too...

Second of all, I can't remember what it was called, but there was this game I played on the Sega Genesis years ago. It was a realistic RPG type of game - no spells or powers - in a birds eye sort of view.

You could stay overnight at inns, approach beggers begging for alms, cross rivers by standing on turtles, and depending on your age, it would say, for example: "Jacob has died at the tender age of 23.". Another classic.

You probably have no idea of the game, but are there any good realistic RPG type games you can suggest, old or new, which plays in a similar way? I am sick of sports games, which is why I am looking at those genres for a change.

Wow, I can write a LOT sometimes! Anyway, your lists are appreciated - it just gives me some games to mention to the guy at my local PC shop - he should be able to order in at least one of the ones mentioned.

Thanks heaps,

Matthew Sheehan.

For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord.
August 5, 2003 4:57:05 AM

Oregon Trail! Jebediah has died of a snake bite!

On a serious note, I really have no idea what kind of game you're looking for. I could reccommend any one of a hundred different great RPG's. Maybe someone will know more about those older games, or you could describe them a little more.
August 5, 2003 5:03:44 AM

Haha, I was thinking people wouldn't know what RPG game I was after, so I'll ditch that part and just ask about the "point and click" genre recommendations. Thanks!

Related resources
August 6, 2003 1:04:36 AM

Maybe Neverwinter Nights or Dungeon Siege. If you haven't played Diablo 2 it is of course a must-play (I know I'm just clicking over and over, but I can't stop...). Morrowind is a great newer RPG played in first person perspective.
August 6, 2003 2:13:08 AM

Diablo (one of my personal favorites) and Diablo II and both really good point and click games (we're talking lots of clicking here) as is Dungeon Siege (a little less clicking). Another worthy mention would be Baldur's Gate II, it's my favorite RPG and would highly recommend it. Also, Morrowind is pretty darn good, its a first person RPG with open gameplay. There is a central story line, but you can spend countless hours just wandering the land finding your own adventures.
August 6, 2003 5:54:31 AM

Diablo 2 is just great, in my opinion.
August 6, 2003 12:17:58 PM

Diablo 2 is ok if you want mouse pounding action....whilst its not strictly a point and click. Baldurs Gate 2 is quite simply the biggest and best RPG's of all time.

<i>"We have always been here." - Koch
Mmm Dawn AND Eve Drroooooolllll
--------------------------------------------------
<b>XP2100+, 1Gb RAM, ASUS A7N8X, PNY 64Mb Ti4200. :cool:
Anonymous
August 6, 2003 5:25:15 PM

"Baldurs Gate 2 is quite simply the biggest and best RPG's of all time."

-True dat.

I'm in the second to last chapter of Icewind Dale II, a clone of the Baldurs Gate series. It's taken me a good 9 months to make it that far.

<font color=red>The difficult thing about doing nothing, is that you never know when you're done. </font color=red>
<A HREF="http://www.tylersite.8k.com/photo.html " target="_new">http://www.tylersite.8k.com/photo.html </A>
August 7, 2003 9:58:40 PM

Elders Scroll III: Morrowind is a really good game and is pretty realistic. You kill someone you become a criminal and you have to pay off a bounty. When you take something it will stay taken forever (aka it wont reset itself) and you become known as a theif. You join clans and what not The game world is gigantic. Though it would be a lot better if it had some multiplayer aspects in it. This game takes months to fully complete or you can just do the main quest and be done in a few hours.

There are monsters and magic though. Plus you never have to eat (if you dont want to.) You should check out some reviews of the game at some websites that deal with games. They will tell you the pros and cons of this game.

~I dont have one so I want it
August 7, 2003 11:31:45 PM

well, if you miss Full Throttle there is a sequal coming out pretty soon, if it is not already here. There are some trailers to check out at any site with videos from the E3 mess (e.g. dailyrush.dk). It seems (in my opinion) to have lost a lot of it's coolness.. and is more cartoonish, but then again I never checked out no. 2 Good luck

Otherwise stick to UFO: Enemy Unknown =)

Intel Pentium 4 - 400Mhz FSB - 2.4Ghz
- 1152mb pc-133 - Ati Radeon 9700 128Mb
August 15, 2003 9:19:28 PM

And if you have an ATI vid card, Morrowind is even more awesome...

<font color=blue>I don't have to be careful! I have a gun!</font color=blue>
<font color=green>Homer Simpson</font color=green>

TKS
August 16, 2003 3:05:54 AM

"The Dig" was a really cool Sci-fi game from LucasArts that will play quite similarly to Full Throttle. It was released in 1995 or 1996 and may be difficult to find.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!
August 16, 2003 3:09:13 AM

Sorry to dissapoint anyone, but I read a post in this forum that had a link to the LucasArts website that was a Press Release stating that development on Full Throttle: Hell on Wheels has been cancled.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!
August 21, 2003 7:48:33 AM

Hey, thanks to everyone who added in their lists. I'll be writing each game down and taking it into my store. If he can't get any in, I'll probably have to look at buying them second hand. Thanks heaps! :) 

August 24, 2003 12:23:47 PM

Grim Fandango is the best adventure game ever. I wish they would make another one of those. The longest Journey is good too.

These specs are here so I don't have to repeat them. P4 2.4c @ 3.0 ASUS P4P800 dx Geil pc4000 2.5,3,3,6 250FSB 1:1 Radeon 9500 non-pro 2 Maxtor 60gig 7200rpm 8mb cach in raid 0 SB Audigy 2
September 12, 2003 12:09:08 AM

Hey again, thanks to everyone who responded. Unfortunetly the local PC stores don't stock the games and cannot order them in, so I guess second hand is the way to go.

Sorry I haven't replied sooner - my hard drive is on the way out according to Seagate Diagnostics, however it seems perfectly fine in Windows XP. The warranty has expired, so I'm not sure what to do next...

Thanks again!

September 12, 2003 3:50:34 AM

Haven't played a lot of RPGs but I thought Fallout & Fallout 2 were good games.

Right now I'm playing an old FPS, System Shock 2, but it has a lot of RPG aspects. Great game with a good story line and lots of suspense.

I'm trying to complete it as a conventional shooter. I say "trying" because I'm finding it pretty challenging.

Later I'll try again using more of the psionic powers.

Even though the 3D engine is really old some nice new character models/meshes gave the game a fresher look. kind of creepy, actually. These hi-res models were done by a mod'er and they look great.

If anyone is interested the link below has the hi-res models with some screenshots. At the site click on Game Mods.

<A HREF="http://perso.wanadoo.fr/etienne.aubert/" target="_new">http://perso.wanadoo.fr/etienne.aubert/&lt;/A>

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>
September 14, 2003 4:56:19 PM

The whole Monkey Islad series it one of the best. Never played full.t, but i think il give it a try now

<font color=blue>Let's see, 500 posts a day, each day, for 30 days, and I will have more posts than Crashman!</font color=blue>
September 14, 2003 5:55:18 PM

monkey island 4 was horrible =(

Every played Hugo before? old-school!
September 14, 2003 8:18:25 PM

Really? I just stumbled upon my Monkey Island (1st one) disc. I don't think I ever played it. Perhaps I will.

I've been trying to run The 7th Guest but it crashes before anything is displayed. Plays about one note of music. That's all. I thought VDMSound would help but no luck so far. I never finished that game. Somewhere along the way I picked up the 11th Hour (sequel to The 7th Guest) for a couple bucks but I would like to play 7th Guest first. (I wonder if I will be any better at the puzzles after all these years).

September 14, 2003 9:24:25 PM

Look on Amazon.com for gamez. You can get used games there for cheap.

The 7th guest was a good game. It came out about the time win 95 first came out. I recently tried to play it again. It would not run in XP. Could not find any kind of support for this game. It's been forgotten I think. If you can get it working let me know how you did it. The 11nth hour sucked. You probably won't like it.

P4 2.4c @ 3.0 ASUS P4P800 dx Geil Golden Dragon PC4000 2.5,3,3,6 250FSB 1:1 Radeon 9800 non-pro 2 Maxtor 60gig 7200rpm 8mb cach in raid 0 SB Audigy 2 Antec True 480
September 15, 2003 12:27:07 AM

Thanks.

I downloaded a DirectX player for 7Th Guest. It was an old 1997 patch from the developer, Trilobyte. It works under Win98SE. I don't know about XP.

Sorry I lost the link (time to organize my favorites I guess) but just do a web search for DirectX and 7th guest or the file name which is, "v32tng.exe".

As for old games do a search for "abandonware". As the name implies they have been abandoned by the owner, generally defunct companies, and released to the general public. The games are free to download.

Here's one source.

<A HREF="http://www.freeoldies.com/" target="_new">http://www.freeoldies.com/&lt;/A>

September 15, 2003 7:43:47 AM

Whoa. Theres alot of games there. I was surprised to find doom, heretic, hexen, quake. If you don't mind the really outdated graphics. You could have all the games you want for free. I can't tell you how many hours I spent playing the above games. I don't know what else to download that I haven't already played. Alot of stuff I've never heard of.

P4 2.4c @ 3.0 ASUS P4P800 dx Geil Golden Dragon PC4000 2.5,3,3,6 250FSB 1:1 Radeon 9800 non-pro 2 Maxtor 60gig 7200rpm 8mb cach in raid 0 SB Audigy 2 Antec True 480
September 15, 2003 6:57:50 PM

All the games you mentioned have been revived with updated graphics. Doom, Heretic, and Hexen are all available as jDoom, jHeretic, and jHexen under the Doomsday OpenSouce project. You get a tidy Direct3D (maybe it's OpenGL) engine and you can run at any resolution you want with all the IQ control you would expect. The textures look like pure directX 7 but it's a lot better than the originals.

Even more work is in progress for Quake. Tenebrae Quake (also OpenSource) gets a modern (though very demanding) engine with high resolution textures and models. The first level is just about done and the project is committed to completing another three levels. It looks great.

For all the games you need the .WAD files from the original games. Commercial and shareware versions of the games both work.

I'm sorry to tell you but none of the games, not doom, heretic, hexen nor quake are abandonware.

In the game lists there's a little symbol next to them to indicate it's not abandonware. I'm not sure why they list such games at all. Perhaps too many people were requesting the games so they decided to indicate which ones weren't available.

You can find info on the aforementioned projects at <A HREF="http://www.sourceforge.net" target="_new">http://www.sourceforge.net&lt;/A>

Be warned, if you start playing those old games again you won't be able to stop. (I wish I could find my Quake and Doom discs d*mnit)

September 16, 2003 4:32:47 PM

Matthias -

Reaching back into my admittedly foggy memory, the only Sega Genesis game I can think of that featured the things you're talking about was Faerie Tale Adventure. You basically had three 'lives' being the three brothers. The oldest brother would go out and adventure around, you could get a device that let you call a sea turtle to ride around on, etc. Once you died, the next brother would come out and you'd explore around with him, and you could even find the corpse of the dead brother and get the equipment from it. No clue where to find it now though. At work so my access is kinda limited.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I've not seen any games that were quite like FTA since then. Admittedly, I lean towards sci-fi titles anyway. Fallout series was a good 'realistic' RPG though. Just stay away from Fallout:Tactics
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Horsework on 09/16/03 12:39 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 16, 2003 5:32:33 PM

Monkey Island 1&3 are the best. Mostly becasue of all the in jokes the make up and reply. HERMEN TOOTHROT! YOU FIGHT LIKE A DARY FARMer!

<font color=blue>Let's see, 500 posts a day, each day, for 30 days, and I will have more posts than Crashman!</font color=blue>
September 17, 2003 6:00:15 AM

Wow! That's the game I was talking about! Your memory isn't foggy if you can remember a game from all those years ago. Thanks for giving me the name of the title, I appreciate it!

I am just wondering if emulators or roms are illegal? I suppose I could download an emulator and possibly the ROM, but I don't want to break any laws and end up in prison...

Anyway, thanks again - you've named the mystery game! :) 

!