Just built, installing Win7, partition strategy??

dyebroke

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I just finished putting my system together, and really havent put much thought into my Win7 loading strategy.
As a matter of fact I havent ever seen Win7, little lone installed it!

What is the general concensus on installing Win7 and partitioning for it?

I have a 500 GB Spinpoint SATA drive. I am looking for suggestions, I can further partition to suit later on cant I?

Thanks in advance! :hello:

hwy2hell

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
You will have to partition the HD at time of installation of 7. I suggest no partition at all with the 500gb you have now. Just by a cheap green HD for mass storage on sale at another time. But if you desire a partition, use 200 gb of you 500 and off you go.

One of little things that annoys me is that the Windows 7 installation will attempt to create a maintenance partition on a DIFFERENT hard drive if it can. The problem with that is that if you switch those other drives around then you can loose the ability to boot the system.

I prefer to have all of the system-related partitions on one physical drive, so that I only need that one drive working in order to boot. If there's a problem, I can easily restore the system drive from an image backup.

To get the partitions the way I want I disconnect all my other disks when doing the initial Windows 7 install.

gtpercy

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010

I am having issues with this partition business. When the thing installed, I used the recommended partition size and it named it C:\ now everything default loads to it and I have no space for the swap files. I would prefer no partition, simple. Any comments?

TRENDING THREADS