SMS message

I am trying to use an application that was developed in house to send SMS
messages to a persons cell phone. For Sprint PCS users it sends an e-mail to
phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com

I have tries sending an e-mail to phonenumber@vtext.com for Verizon cell
users but the recipient never
gets the message. Is there a special format for the message?

--
Ron Harter | Tongue, Tied and Twisted
rharter@pobox.com | Just an earth bound misfit ... I

Ron Harter wrote:
> I am trying to use an application that was developed in house to send
> SMS messages to a persons cell phone. For Sprint PCS users it sends
> an e-mail to phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com
>
> I have tries sending an e-mail to phonenumber@vtext.com for Verizon
> cell users but the recipient never
> gets the message. Is there a special format for the message?

May be a REAL good thing.. Spammers are sending SMS messages to cell phones
now (costing the person with the phone 2 cents to get spammed!!), and some
people (and cell providers) are turning them off by default unless you are
on an approved list for that phone.

Have to ask, are you a spammer? Why do you want to send stuff to cell phones
where it will cost the cell owner money to get the SMS message?

If you have a legit reason, the cell phone owner can allow them for certain
senders

(sorry, I got zapped a bunch of bucks for some idiot spammer sending SMS
messages to my handset ((no laws against spam messages to cell phones, you
can't call, but you can spam!)).

For verizon users, also depends if they are on a verizon native system or on
extended networks (for instance, my stepmother and uncle both have verizon
cell phones, but are on the Alltel extended network, and SMS messages don't
go to them)

Peter Pan wrote:

> (sorry, I got zapped a bunch of bucks for some idiot spammer sending SMS
> messages to my handset ((no laws against spam messages to cell phones, you
> can't call, but you can spam!)).

Not true anymore! As I understand it, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act of
1991, 47 USC 227, has recently been interpreted to apply to spam messages sent
via SMS. This is the law that bans unsolicited junk faxes and restricts
telemarketers. Problem is, there's so little identifying info sent with an SMS
message that it may be troublesome to track down the perp and sue them (the law
includes a right of civil action for up to $1500 per violation).

> For verizon users, also depends if they are on a verizon native system or on
> extended networks (for instance, my stepmother and uncle both have verizon
> cell phones, but are on the Alltel extended network, and SMS messages don't
> go to them)

In general, don't expect stuff like SMS to work on networks other than your
carrier's own, no matter who your carrier is. Some carriers do have features
integrated pretty well with each other, but don't assume that's the case.

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)

Rich

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 20:35:13 +0000, Ron Harter wrote:

> I have tries sending an e-mail to phonenumber@vtext.com for Verizon cell
> users but the recipient never
> gets the message. Is there a special format for the message?

No special format that I know of. I use this often to send messages
automatically to my phone and have had no problems. Maybe make sure
you include the area code and no dashes? The phone number I use is
like nnnnnnnnnn@vtext.com, I don't know if other variations work or not.

good luck.

rich