Revisit: "Open With" broken in context menu

hi all,

just a post (couldn't reply via google after 30days of post hence the
new one) to add some more possibly helpful info to these posts:

>------------------
> mschatzleinmd wrote: Jul 4, 11:17 am
>
> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
>
> The only option available after right-cliking on an image file and selecting
> "Open With" is another "open with" that doesn't do anything. Nothing in the
> kb, and nothing seems to be wrong with the context menu handlers in the
> registry. Does anybody have an idea as to how to fix?
>
>------------------
> Wesley Vogel wrote:
>
> Open-with list is collapsed; No items listed in the open-with menu
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/openwithissue.htm
>
> If that looks like the problem, see this..
>
> Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm

Wes's link let me find this tool here:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

which allowed me to step by step disable Shell extensions to find the
problem.

I too, was experiencing this "Open With" context menu opening another
"Open With" sub menu which did nothing and rendered "open with" useless
on my XP SP2 system. I have been searching for months for the solution
and finally figured it out using this tool from the link above here.

It turned out to be a shell extension installed by the Stuffit
archiving software which caused the problem for all extensions. It was
the culprit that ruined Open With in this circular fashion making it
useless. Disabling the 2 Stuffit shellexts restored Open With - (so I
also uninstalled Stuffit just to be safe). I'm just posting in the
event someone else out there has the same problem as me and wants to
fix it as all the other "Open With" fixes (at Kelly's Korner etc) did
nothing to this particular circular Open With followed by another Open
With submenu.

it was a bitch to figure out - but thankfully it turned out to be
simple and not some really messed up registry. Thanks Wes for your help
in tracking it down! :)

cdude

Thanks for the feedback cdude. Stuffit Compress Menu is known to cause this
problem:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ * \ shellex \ ContextMenuHandlers \ Stuffit Compress
Menu
@="{3FBFD0B0-EB46-4797-9101-615610E87DA6}"

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"cdude" <Creative.Dude@gmail.com> wrote in message
> hi all,
>
> just a post (couldn't reply via google after 30days of post hence the
> new one) to add some more possibly helpful info to these posts:
>
>>------------------
>> mschatzleinmd wrote: Jul 4, 11:17 am
>>
>> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
>>
>> The only option available after right-cliking on an image file and
>> selecting
>> "Open With" is another "open with" that doesn't do anything. Nothing in
>> the
>> kb, and nothing seems to be wrong with the context menu handlers in the
>> registry. Does anybody have an idea as to how to fix?
>>
>>------------------
>> Wesley Vogel wrote:
>>
>> Open-with list is collapsed; No items listed in the open-with menu
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/openwithissue.htm
>>
>> If that looks like the problem, see this..
>>
>> Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
>>

> Wes's link let me find this tool here:
> http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html
>
> which allowed me to step by step disable Shell extensions to find the
> problem.
>
> I too, was experiencing this "Open With" context menu opening another
> "Open With" sub menu which did nothing and rendered "open with" useless
> on my XP SP2 system. I have been searching for months for the solution
> and finally figured it out using this tool from the link above here.
>
> It turned out to be a shell extension installed by the Stuffit
> archiving software which caused the problem for all extensions. It was
> the culprit that ruined Open With in this circular fashion making it
> useless. Disabling the 2 Stuffit shellexts restored Open With - (so I
> also uninstalled Stuffit just to be safe). I'm just posting in the
> event someone else out there has the same problem as me and wants to
> fix it as all the other "Open With" fixes (at Kelly's Korner etc) did
> nothing to this particular circular Open With followed by another Open
> With submenu.
>
> it was a bitch to figure out - but thankfully it turned out to be
> simple and not some really messed up registry. Thanks Wes for your help
> in tracking it down! :)
>
> cdude

TRENDING THREADS