Exactly What Does System File Checker Do...???

Can someone tell me exactly what it is that System File Checker does? It's
easy to imagine what it might do on an unmodified, clean install of Windows
XP, but after you've spent a couple of months installing patches and updates,
what does SFC do then? Does it restore the original copies of the files?
Does it ignore MS update files? Thanks...

When updates are installed the \servicepackfiles and \dllcache folders are
updated with the new versions. SFC pulls from these.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/system_file_checker.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/system_file_protection.mspx

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Steve S" wrote:
| Can someone tell me exactly what it is that System File Checker does?
It's
| easy to imagine what it might do on an unmodified, clean install of
Windows
| XP, but after you've spent a couple of months installing patches and
updates,
| what does SFC do then? Does it restore the original copies of the files?
| Does it ignore MS update files? Thanks...

Dave: Thanks!

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> When updates are installed...

You're welcome.