Network works at 10MBps but NOT 100MBps

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
I have an interestering and very annoying problem. I have a network lead running out to a shed in the back yard. Now this lead is somewhere between 25 and 30metres long. I havnt measured it exactly I just pulled it out of the box til I had enough. Now it works 100% at 10MBps. I have a 100MBps switch on the inside end and a 10MBps netork card on the other and it works fine. If I change it to a 100MBps netork card or a second 100MBps switch on the outside end it refuses to work at all. The lights on the switch(s) come on saying the connection is there but it cant talk to each other or ping even. But all I have to do is chang the connection at either end to a 10MBps hub or network card and it works perfectly. The other end can still have a 100MBps network card it doesnt care. As long as just 1 end is a max speed of 10MBps. I am using brand name stranded CAT5e cable. And 1 switch is a Soho brand Switch and the other is an XNet brand swtich both are 8 port switches. Also I am using realtek 8029 cards for the 10Megabit cards and realtek 8139 and also intel 100TX Pro cards for the 100MBps. I have tried a mixture. I have also tried a laptop with 2 cards both 10 and 10MBps. The nobrand 10 worked but the 100 Xircom realport 2 wouldnt. Anyone have any ideas?
AREA_51

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
unless you have multimode switches all devices on them must be the same (all 10 mbits or 100 mbits) you cant have a mixture. and are you sure they are switches and not hubs? even multimode hubs will only work with all the same nodes.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
You can have a mixture of 10MBps hubs and 100MBps switches. The side affect is though that you will have some parts of your network running at 100MBps and other parts at 10MBps. And I know they are proper 100MBps switches as not only did I buy them specificaly but I have also had them running inside fine. And as I said I can have either of the switches running inside or outside as long as the other end only has a 10MBps card or hub hooked up to it. (Limiting the outside line to 10mbps) It is only when I try and hook 100MBps hard up at both ends I have the problem. I am not a n00b at networking. I have my fair share of semi professional experiance. I am just looking for other people`s ideas.
AREA_51

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'

Duplex settings?
Device speed settings? (although they are 100Mbp/s, they may be set at 10Mbp/s)

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=324&s=58e94ba84a16bedfebbf0f416d5bac48" target="_new">Nice sig 81.</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
I would be happy if that were it. It would give me something sure to fix. But it is not duplex settings. It works 100% at 10MBps on 100MBps hardware but it doesnt work at all when I try at 100MBps.
AREA_51

sbolinger2

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
Just a thought; Did you make sure your network settings under tc/ip properties are set to half-duplex. It is possible they are set to 10Mbps.

:tongue: <font color=blue>My job is to polish</font color=blue> <font color=green>turds</font color=green><font color=blue>, I</font color=blue> <font color=red>love</font color=red> <font color=blue>my job.</font color=blue>

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
Yes I am sure. The laptop works fine at 100MBps when I take it inside. The computer as well. No it is something to do with the lead running out or something like that I think. I have eliminated everything else. Does anyone know the max length that can be used for 100MBps rj45 between repeaters??
Thanks
AREA_51

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
Ok that makes it even more interestering as I have nowhere near a hundred metres. More like 30. I will make up another lead and see what that does in the morning.
AREA_51

Bardic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
I don't know if you've gotten this fixed yet or not, but I would suspect that your cable is crimped wrong. It should be:

Type B (what most storebought cables are)

1 white/orange
2 orange
3 white/green-----the greean pair is seperated
4 blue
5 white/blue
6 green-----------the greean pair is seperated
7 white/brown
8 brown

Cables that are done

1 white/orange
2 orange
3 white/green
4 green
5 white/blue
6 blue
7 white/brown
8 brown

will work on 10MB but not 100MB. Here is a good site that expains all this. <A HREF="http://www.mplsgeeks.com/networkcables/cableprint.html" target="_new">http://www.mplsgeeks.com/networkcables/cableprint.html</A> (thanks camieabz)

edit: make it clickable :smile:
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Bardic on 03/28/03 04:18 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
Thanks. I hadnt worked it out. But that is proberly the answer. I have them all paired next to each other like in your second example. I will recrimp the cable later today and let you know how it goes.
Thanks
AREA_51

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
YOU BLOODY BEAUTY!!!!!!! IT WORKS NOW!!!! I cant thank you enough. I have spent the past 3 weeks trying to get it going. I am amazed it was something so simple.
Thanks again
AREA_51

Bardic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
I started work at a place and the guy before me crimped all his cables with the pairs next to each other. I used to think it was that way also because it is really tough to tell the difference between the white/blue and white/green on a cable from the store. So it looks like they are all together.

So all the businesses he networked have 10Mbit hubs because he couldn't get them to work with 100Mbit. Our own office was 10Mbit, but I have since recrimped the ends and put in a 100Mbit switch.

I've answered about 5 people in the last week both on THG and ExpertsExchange with the same problem. Glad to see it's helping :smile:

Owl

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2001
Thats a good link....
read it good

Stranded wire patch cables are often specified for cable segments running from a wall jack to a PC and for patch panels. They are more flexible than solid core wire. However, the rational for using it is that the constant flexing of patch cables may wear-out solid core cable--break it. I don't think this is a real concern in the average small network. For example, I have one solid core cable going to my work bench. It has probably flexed and average person's lifetime of flexes from the many many times I have connected customer computers to my network. Also, stranded cable is susceptible to degradation from moisture infiltration, may use an alternate color code, and should not be used for cables longer than 3 Meters (about 10 feet).

<font color=red>HOSED = Horrific operating system error detected</font color=red>

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
Yes I do know what stranded wire is usualy used for. But I used it because it was A LOT cheaper for me to get and everywhere I looked it is rated to 50Mtrs at 100MBps anyway. Solid I was told in this thread is 100Mtrs. But this stranded is working fine at 40mtrs at the moment at 100MBps. And I have tested the throughput too to make sure it is doing 100MBps.
AREA_51

Owl

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2001
vk2amv
that's fine.
i ment for me, i have used solid core wire all the time, and
this just hit me,
we all do what works,
and not what is the best..
ie what cat 5e or 6 cable can be used for in ground ?????
i have just used standerd cable, for runs of 100ft-300ft
is it the best or just ok, can i up grade later gig 1000mbs
?????
i have run line for 8 yrs and we are still learning new ways
to get more out a wan or lan...........

<font color=red>HOSED = Horrific operating system error detected</font color=red>
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Owl on 04/20/03 02:19 PM.</EM></FONT></P>