Newbie - how to use key?

I've just started EQ tonight. Am in the tutorial. I graduated and was
given a key. I found myself in a room with some oddball monsters that I
gather I am to release.

My inventory shows me a key that Arabeth (?) gave me. The door says I
need a special key to open it.

OK, how do I use this key? I can't seem to equip it in the inventory
window. Dragging it from the backpack to the door didn't work. I've
clicked and dragged everything I can think of and the door remains
locked.

I am assuming this is not a 'bash' door since I was given a key. What
is the trick to using the key?

--
- Burt Johnson
MindStorm, Inc.

chrisb

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2004

Burt Johnson wrote:

> I've just started EQ tonight. Am in the tutorial. I graduated and was
> given a key. I found myself in a room with some oddball monsters that I
> gather I am to release.
>
> My inventory shows me a key that Arabeth (?) gave me. The door says I
> need a special key to open it.
>
> OK, how do I use this key? I can't seem to equip it in the inventory
> window. Dragging it from the backpack to the door didn't work. I've
> clicked and dragged everything I can think of and the door remains
> locked.
>
> I am assuming this is not a 'bash' door since I was given a key. What
> is the trick to using the key?

This newsgroup discusses two games, Everquest and Everquest 2. Since
Everquest was here first, the consensus was that if there wasn't a lable
you are talking about Everquest. Personally, I'd prefer all headers
with either EQ or EQ2 in them, but that is just me.

I've never recieved a key in the Everquest tutorial. So either I've
never recieved a key because I've never run a rogue through the tutorial
or you are refering to EverQuest 2 which I've never played. Either way,
I am unable to help. Good luck. With my EverQuest rogue I had to have
the lockpick "in hand" when opening a door, perhaps?

burt@mindstorm-inc.com (Burt Johnson) wrote:
] My inventory shows me a key that Arabeth (?) gave me. The door says I
] need a special key to open it.
]
] OK, how do I use this key? I can't seem to equip it in the inventory

The voice over and the text in the chat tells you how to use it.

JimP.
--
djim70 at tyhe cableone dot net. Disclaimer: Standard.
http://crestar.drivein-jim.net/new.html AD&D Dec 29, 2004

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 08:40:37 -0600, ChrisB <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>Burt Johnson wrote:
>
>> I've just started EQ tonight. Am in the tutorial. I graduated and was
>> given a key. I found myself in a room with some oddball monsters that I
>> gather I am to release.
>>
>> My inventory shows me a key that Arabeth (?) gave me. The door says I
>> need a special key to open it.
>>
>> OK, how do I use this key? I can't seem to equip it in the inventory
>> window. Dragging it from the backpack to the door didn't work. I've
>> clicked and dragged everything I can think of and the door remains
>> locked.
>>
>> I am assuming this is not a 'bash' door since I was given a key. What
>> is the trick to using the key?
>>

>This newsgroup discusses two games, Everquest and Everquest 2. Since
>Everquest was here first, the consensus was that if there wasn't a lable
>you are talking about Everquest. Personally, I'd prefer all headers
>with either EQ or EQ2 in them, but that is just me.
>
>I've never recieved a key in the Everquest tutorial. So either I've
>never recieved a key because I've never run a rogue through the tutorial
>or you are refering to EverQuest 2 which I've never played. Either way,
>I am unable to help. Good luck. With my EverQuest rogue I had to have
>the lockpick "in hand" when opening a door, perhaps?

I think this is for the new(er) EQ1 tutorial. After killing the kobald
and looting the key, give the key to the NPC behind the gate if he is
Arias. Otherwise I'm not sure what gate you are talking about.

--
Wulfbones Gnome Cleric Qeynos Antonia Bayle
Wulfrunner Gnome Predator Qeynos Antonia Bayle

Wulfbones

Burt Johnson wrote:
> I've just started EQ tonight. Am in the tutorial. I graduated and was
> given a key. I found myself in a room with some oddball monsters that I
> gather I am to release.
>
> My inventory shows me a key that Arabeth (?) gave me. The door says I
> need a special key to open it.
>
> OK, how do I use this key? I can't seem to equip it in the inventory
> window. Dragging it from the backpack to the door didn't work. I've
> clicked and dragged everything I can think of and the door remains
> locked.
>
> I am assuming this is not a 'bash' door since I was given a key. What
> is the trick to using the key?

You give the key to the prisoner, assuming I correctly understand where you are
in the tutorial. Pick up the key from your inventory and click on him with the
"key" cursor.

ChrisB <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

> This newsgroup discusses two games, Everquest and Everquest 2. Since
> Everquest was here first, the consensus was that if there wasn't a lable
> you are talking about Everquest. Personally, I'd prefer all headers
> with either EQ or EQ2 in them, but that is just me.
>
> I've never recieved a key in the Everquest tutorial. So either I've
> never recieved a key because I've never run a rogue through the tutorial
> or you are refering to EverQuest 2 which I've never played. Either way,
> I am unable to help. Good luck. With my EverQuest rogue I had to have
> the lockpick "in hand" when opening a door, perhaps?

Sorry, I didn't know there were two games. The CD I have says
"Everquest: Neverwinter Nights". I therefore assume it is EQ?

This is on the Mac, if that makes any difference.

I have a Paladin. I completed the training portion or the tutorial, then
met with Arabeth (I think that was her name -- the princess in the south
room). When meeting her, we were attacked by 4 bad guys. It seemed
that the others in the room did most of the killing, though I got a blow
or two in.

After that intro battle, Arabeth took me aside, gave me a key and said
to free the four creatures in the room at the other end of the palace.
I found them, after a few "weak goblin" encounters and am standing in
front of one of four locked doors, each with an odd looking creature
behind them. There are no NPCs around -- they were all killed in the
training room where I finished off the goblins (dead before I got
there).

I actually bought this game about a year ago, but am just now getting
around to trying it, after reading so much about how good it is. I have
the CDs (I have a good filing system for those), but have no idea where
the manual is (scattered among literally hundreds of such manuals). I
was hoping the tutorial would be sufficient, but maybe I need to buy a
guide book or some such?

--

John Burton <john.burton@jbmail.com> wrote:

> You give the key to the prisoner, assuming I correctly understand where
> you are in the tutorial. Pick up the key from your inventory and click on
> him with the "key" cursor.

I don't remember seeing a prisoner, but I'll go back and look again.
Thanks.

So a Paladin can't open locks with a key? From the tutorial I thought
he could either use a lock or 'bash', with not all keys responding to
physical force?

--

D.J. <jolly73@boingcableone.net> wrote:

> burt@mindstorm-inc.com (Burt Johnson) wrote:
> ] My inventory shows me a key that Arabeth (?) gave me. The door says I
> ] need a special key to open it.
> ]
> ] OK, how do I use this key? I can't seem to equip it in the inventory
>
> The voice over and the text in the chat tells you how to use it.

I have voice over. I admit that I have been paying only partial
attention to the chat box in the lower left. I'll go try again and pay
more attention there. Thanks!

--

Burt Johnson wrote:
> John Burton <john.burton@jbmail.com> wrote:
>

>>You give the key to the prisoner, assuming I correctly understand where
>>you are in the tutorial. Pick up the key from your inventory and click on
>>him with the "key" cursor.
>

> I don't remember seeing a prisoner, but I'll go back and look again.
> Thanks.
>
> So a Paladin can't open locks with a key? From the tutorial I thought
> he could either use a lock or 'bash', with not all keys responding to
> physical force?

I think from you other comment this may not be the same game

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 21:14:02 GMT, burt@mindstorm-inc.com (Burt
Johnson) wrote:

>ChrisB <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> This newsgroup discusses two games, Everquest and Everquest 2. Since
>> Everquest was here first, the consensus was that if there wasn't a lable
>> you are talking about Everquest. Personally, I'd prefer all headers
>> with either EQ or EQ2 in them, but that is just me.
>>
>> I've never recieved a key in the Everquest tutorial. So either I've
>> never recieved a key because I've never run a rogue through the tutorial
>> or you are refering to EverQuest 2 which I've never played. Either way,
>> I am unable to help. Good luck. With my EverQuest rogue I had to have
>> the lockpick "in hand" when opening a door, perhaps?
>
>Sorry, I didn't know there were two games. The CD I have says
>"Everquest: Neverwinter Nights". I therefore assume it is EQ?
>
>This is on the Mac, if that makes any difference.
>
>I have a Paladin. I completed the training portion or the tutorial, then
>met with Arabeth (I think that was her name -- the princess in the south
>room). When meeting her, we were attacked by 4 bad guys. It seemed
>that the others in the room did most of the killing, though I got a blow
>or two in.
>
>After that intro battle, Arabeth took me aside, gave me a key and said
>to free the four creatures in the room at the other end of the palace.
>I found them, after a few "weak goblin" encounters and am standing in
>front of one of four locked doors, each with an odd looking creature
>behind them. There are no NPCs around -- they were all killed in the
>training room where I finished off the goblins (dead before I got
>there).
>
>I actually bought this game about a year ago, but am just now getting
>around to trying it, after reading so much about how good it is. I have
>the CDs (I have a good filing system for those), but have no idea where
>the manual is (scattered among literally hundreds of such manuals). I
>was hoping the tutorial would be sufficient, but maybe I need to buy a
>guide book or some such?

Everquest:NEVERWINTER NIGHTS ???
Aribeth ??? - Female NPC Paladin in Neverwinternights.
As far as I know Everquest and Neverwinternights are completly
different games,though both are not bad. :)

*looks confused*

Meldur

> Everquest:NEVERWINTER NIGHTS ???
> Aribeth ??? - Female NPC Paladin in Neverwinternights.
> As far as I know Everquest and Neverwinternights are completly
> different games,though both are not bad. :)
>
> *looks confused*

Duh! The sound you hear is my head smacking against the wall...

I have the Everquest CD jacket on my desk. The Neverwinter Nights CD is
sitting on top of it in no case, ready to be inserted in the computer
(though I created a dummy CD image yesterday and no longer need to do
that). I put them there before Christmas, intending to try them both.

Last night I forgot that was two games, and was reading the CD case to
make my comments.

I will now go sulk off in a corner and see if I can find a NWN group to
ask... :)