Internet Explorer - enormously high memory usage

Hello,
I'm having problems with my IE. For a few days now it's been acting in a
strange way. After working for a few hours links are opened in a semi -
proper window (without File, Edit, View etc and other regular menus) and pop
ups can not be opened at all. Error in the status bar says "not enough
storage is available to complete this operation". When checking in Task
Manager IEXPLORE.EXE takes around 62,220 KB!!!
After quitting the browser completely and re-opening it works OK again but
memory usage grows up every minute.
My computer is clean of viruses and spywares. Nothing of that. 512 MB RAM
present and PF memory is managed by the system Windows XP.
Anyone has an idea what could be the reason for this problem to occur? Could
add - on be the problem?
How to solve that annoyance?

Thanks.
6 answers Last reply
More about internet explorer enormously high memory usage

    Get rid of the spyware that you still have on your computer.

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    "Injust" <Injust@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I'm having problems with my IE. For a few days now it's been acting in a
    > strange way. After working for a few hours links are opened in a semi -
    > proper window (without File, Edit, View etc and other regular menus) and
    pop
    > ups can not be opened at all. Error in the status bar says "not enough
    > storage is available to complete this operation". When checking in Task
    > Manager IEXPLORE.EXE takes around 62,220 KB!!!
    > After quitting the browser completely and re-opening it works OK again but
    > memory usage grows up every minute.
    > My computer is clean of viruses and spywares. Nothing of that. 512 MB RAM
    > present and PF memory is managed by the system Windows XP.
    > Anyone has an idea what could be the reason for this problem to occur?
    Could
    > add - on be the problem?
    > How to solve that annoyance?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I don't have any. That's the point.

    "Ted Zieglar" wrote:

    > Get rid of the spyware that you still have on your computer.
    >
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar
    > "You can do it if you try."

    Injust <Injust@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I don't have any. That's the point.

    What specific anti-spyware products did you use?

    There is no single anti-spyware product that will fully clean a badly
    infected system. Most cleanups require a combination of at least 3
    different programs.

    And there are a number of purported anti-spyware programs that are in
    fact spyware themselves. A list of the known culprits in this regard
    is at http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Microsoft anti - spyware, Ad-Aware + Spybot.
    I'm checking every installation on my computer and always try to control my
    web - surfing. There is simply no chance that the problem is caused by
    spyware. The only changes that were done to the system is installation of
    Trixied add -on script and tiny Compaq keyboard utility. Still, it's hard to
    believe this could be the reason of the problem. I had the same problem on my
    previous computer month before it crashed. But this is a brand new
    workstation. No hardware or software problems, trojans or spywares.

    "Ron Martell" wrote:

    > What specific anti-spyware products did you use?
    >
    > There is no single anti-spyware product that will fully clean a badly
    > infected system. Most cleanups require a combination of at least 3
    > different programs.
    >
    > And there are a number of purported anti-spyware programs that are in
    > fact spyware themselves. A list of the known culprits in this regard
    > is at http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm
    >

    > Good luck

    Too much of a coincidence...If you had the same problem on a previous
    computer, you need to determine the common denominator of what was running
    or installed. Were Trixied add -on script and tiny Compaq keyboard utility
    also installed on the previou computer?

    Tom
    | Microsoft anti - spyware, Ad-Aware + Spybot.
    | I'm checking every installation on my computer and always try to control
    my
    | web - surfing. There is simply no chance that the problem is caused by
    | spyware. The only changes that were done to the system is installation of
    | Trixied add -on script and tiny Compaq keyboard utility. Still, it's hard
    | believe this could be the reason of the problem. I had the same problem on
    my
    | previous computer month before it crashed. But this is a brand new
    | workstation. No hardware or software problems, trojans or spywares.
    |
    | "Ron Martell" wrote:
    |
    | > What specific anti-spyware products did you use?
    | >
    | > There is no single anti-spyware product that will fully clean a badly
    | > infected system. Most cleanups require a combination of at least 3
    | > different programs.
    | >
    | > And there are a number of purported anti-spyware programs that are in
    | > fact spyware themselves. A list of the known culprits in this regard
    | > is at http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm
    | >

    | > Good luck

    No, they were not. This is the 1st time i've installed them.
    Someone just told me there was a Windows Update for this problem (IE high
    CPU usage). Does anyone know about such update?

    "Tom Pepper Willett" wrote:

    > Too much of a coincidence...If you had the same problem on a previous
    > computer, you need to determine the common denominator of what was running
    > or installed. Were Trixied add -on script and tiny Compaq keyboard utility
    > also installed on the previou computer?

Memory Usage Internet Explorer Windows XP