Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Internet Explorer - enormously high memory usage

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 3:35:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Hello,
I'm having problems with my IE. For a few days now it's been acting in a
strange way. After working for a few hours links are opened in a semi -
proper window (without File, Edit, View etc and other regular menus) and pop
ups can not be opened at all. Error in the status bar says "not enough
storage is available to complete this operation". When checking in Task
Manager IEXPLORE.EXE takes around 62,220 KB!!!
After quitting the browser completely and re-opening it works OK again but
memory usage grows up every minute.
My computer is clean of viruses and spywares. Nothing of that. 512 MB RAM
present and PF memory is managed by the system Windows XP.
Anyone has an idea what could be the reason for this problem to occur? Could
add - on be the problem?
How to solve that annoyance?

Thanks.
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 6:43:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Get rid of the spyware that you still have on your computer.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Injust" <Injust@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:540760B9-98E2-4B45-8BD1-80E19C56F54C@microsoft.com...
> Hello,
> I'm having problems with my IE. For a few days now it's been acting in a
> strange way. After working for a few hours links are opened in a semi -
> proper window (without File, Edit, View etc and other regular menus) and
pop
> ups can not be opened at all. Error in the status bar says "not enough
> storage is available to complete this operation". When checking in Task
> Manager IEXPLORE.EXE takes around 62,220 KB!!!
> After quitting the browser completely and re-opening it works OK again but
> memory usage grows up every minute.
> My computer is clean of viruses and spywares. Nothing of that. 512 MB RAM
> present and PF memory is managed by the system Windows XP.
> Anyone has an idea what could be the reason for this problem to occur?
Could
> add - on be the problem?
> How to solve that annoyance?
>
> Thanks.
>
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 6:43:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I don't have any. That's the point.

"Ted Zieglar" wrote:

> Get rid of the spyware that you still have on your computer.
>
> --
> Ted Zieglar
> "You can do it if you try."
Related resources
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 6:43:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Injust <Injust@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I don't have any. That's the point.
>

What specific anti-spyware products did you use?

There is no single anti-spyware product that will fully clean a badly
infected system. Most cleanups require a combination of at least 3
different programs.

And there are a number of purported anti-spyware programs that are in
fact spyware themselves. A list of the known culprits in this regard
is at http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm


Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 6:44:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Microsoft anti - spyware, Ad-Aware + Spybot.
I'm checking every installation on my computer and always try to control my
web - surfing. There is simply no chance that the problem is caused by
spyware. The only changes that were done to the system is installation of
Trixied add -on script and tiny Compaq keyboard utility. Still, it's hard to
believe this could be the reason of the problem. I had the same problem on my
previous computer month before it crashed. But this is a brand new
workstation. No hardware or software problems, trojans or spywares.

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> What specific anti-spyware products did you use?
>
> There is no single anti-spyware product that will fully clean a badly
> infected system. Most cleanups require a combination of at least 3
> different programs.
>
> And there are a number of purported anti-spyware programs that are in
> fact spyware themselves. A list of the known culprits in this regard
> is at http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm
>
>
> Good luck
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 6:57:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Too much of a coincidence...If you had the same problem on a previous
computer, you need to determine the common denominator of what was running
or installed. Were Trixied add -on script and tiny Compaq keyboard utility
also installed on the previou computer?

Tom
"Injust" <Injust@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:FA623D23-DA16-414B-B576-AF00E1D5952C@microsoft.com...
| Microsoft anti - spyware, Ad-Aware + Spybot.
| I'm checking every installation on my computer and always try to control
my
| web - surfing. There is simply no chance that the problem is caused by
| spyware. The only changes that were done to the system is installation of
| Trixied add -on script and tiny Compaq keyboard utility. Still, it's hard
to
| believe this could be the reason of the problem. I had the same problem on
my
| previous computer month before it crashed. But this is a brand new
| workstation. No hardware or software problems, trojans or spywares.
|
| "Ron Martell" wrote:
|
| > What specific anti-spyware products did you use?
| >
| > There is no single anti-spyware product that will fully clean a badly
| > infected system. Most cleanups require a combination of at least 3
| > different programs.
| >
| > And there are a number of purported anti-spyware programs that are in
| > fact spyware themselves. A list of the known culprits in this regard
| > is at http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm
| >
| >
| > Good luck
|
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 6:57:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

No, they were not. This is the 1st time i've installed them.
Someone just told me there was a Windows Update for this problem (IE high
CPU usage). Does anyone know about such update?

"Tom Pepper Willett" wrote:

> Too much of a coincidence...If you had the same problem on a previous
> computer, you need to determine the common denominator of what was running
> or installed. Were Trixied add -on script and tiny Compaq keyboard utility
> also installed on the previou computer?
>
!