Sign in with
Your question

Gigabit Ethernet??

Last response: in Components
March 30, 2003 7:54:07 PM

I will be replacing all of my old computers with new ones for a network consisting of 3 workstations and one server, and I am thinking of using Gigabit ethernet. I am unfamiliar with it though. The current network uses 10/100, netbuei, cat 5. I was wondering?
1. will I need to upgrade my ethernet cable and hub?
2.what transport protocol should I use?
3. will it really increase my network performance for accessing a database over the network?
4. anything else I should know?

thanx

A7n8x deluxe
xp1800 thoroughbred
2x256 pc 3200 generic
GF4 4800Ti

More about : gigabit ethernet

March 30, 2003 8:58:58 PM

you need a gigabit hub and gigabit nics. you can run it over cat5 but cat5e is preferable. you wont see that big of an increase in performance

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!
March 30, 2003 9:09:58 PM

as long as the ends are done corectly to the nextest standard, you can run gigabit over copper. While the network cards aren't that much more expensive (i have an Intel pro/1000 MT, and it was under $60) The new switch will run atleast $25 a port depending on the manufacturer. If you're not moving a lot of big files between the server and the workstations, you're not going to see a huge advantage in gigabit.
Related resources
April 19, 2003 9:13:09 PM

Also remember that gigabit puts a heavy load on your system. While a little extreme it's usual to say that you should have 1Hz of processing power per 1 bit/s. That means 1GHz just for the communication if you fully utilize the link...
Gagabit is either a waste of money, but if you need/want it it's certainly good, even just for the "cool" factor

Dev

Poor windows was not a brave soul. Threatened by the force of General Protection and Major Problem the little OS committed suicide by hanging.
May 3, 2003 5:17:34 PM

it will work with 5, but not as well as 5e

<font color=red> black </font color=red> <font color=green> white </font color=green> <font color=blue> yellow </font color=blue> <font color=orange> purple </font color=orange> <font color=black> red </font color=black> <font color=yellow> green </font color=yellow> <font color=purple> blue </font color=purple>
May 6, 2003 12:05:55 PM

Hi

For home PC's (10/100) I was getting sustained transfer rates between 8-9mb/s.
I changed Nic's and switch to Giga and now get 30-35mb/s with the CPU usage close to the same 30-35%, so is it worth it to you?

You cant really expect a home PC's to get much higher without them all having RAID0 as hard drives are approaching there max transfer rate.
August 28, 2003 7:15:01 PM

One of your computers had to be badly configured to go that slow on a 100 mbit ethernet connection.
September 19, 2003 6:34:48 AM

8-9MB/s is a little low, but its still >70% so not too bad. Having a few active hosts on a hub or frequent broadcasts will easily lower the bandwidth. In networking 60% sustained bandwidth utilization is considered a congested network. 80% is the practical limit. Yes, in theory you could get 12.5MB/s but interference, collisions, packetloss and less than pristine media and hardware will quickly take a toll.

Dev

---
My Sig:
))
(( ___________________
|||_____________|_____|
November 28, 2003 1:44:44 AM

Those are pretty significant gains. Even something close to that 30-35 MB/s would tempt me to try hosting my A/V files from a central server and editing them from different PC's around the house - say, try a working cut of a video or audio track on my TV and HT audio system and tweak it from the HTPC.

Can anyone suggest good Gigabit routers (also need to share Internet)? Any with wireless also?
!