Sign in with
Your question

Unexplained Stuttering

Last response: in Video Games
February 24, 2012 3:20:15 PM

Hello,
I have been getting some awful stuttering in all games. It is not as noticeable in third person games such as Batman AC and Witcher 2. In First person games likes The Darkness II and Metro 2033 it is very evident. It seems to happen mostly during points of yellowish lights. When the setting is dark I get almost no stutter unless I turn very quickly. I am playing on a 42" 1080p LCD tv. The stutter is happening even on the lowest settings. The thing that stumps me is this is happening mostly when certain colors are present. when logging into Windows it even stutters when the Windows logo is loading. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Nvidia drivers. I've clean installed the drivers from the Zotac CD and did the same with each Beta driver. I've reinstalled Windows and have done clean installs. Tried both a 1TB seagate HDD and 64GB Crucial SSD. Uninstalled the Graphics Card and all drivers and installed intel drivers and still get the issue with the HD 3000. I moved the Card from PCIe 2 to PCIe 4 (both are X16x1) and still got the stutter but the sound also didn't work. I have no heat issues and stress tests have turned up no errors. I'm just going to post my specs and cross my fingers that someone has a solution to this.
Thanks in Advance.

i7 2700k
Asrock Gen3 Extreme 3
Gskill Sniper 8GB 11-11-11-30 2133 Mhz 1.612v
Zotac 560 Ti 448 Core
Thortech 850w PSU
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM 64MB
Crucial M4 64GB SSD (Boot)
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
Vtt Voltage is bumped to 1.103 to compensate for the RAM

More about : unexplained stuttering

February 24, 2012 5:30:09 PM

you know you should only be using 1.5V ram, and greater than that could damage the CPU, and that ram is slow.

what temps on cpu and gpu (cpu in particular given that bump), I know that these are 'odd' questions with your symptoms.
are you using virtus's software, have you disabled the onboard, i'm assuming you are plugged into the discrete card, and not the mobo.
m
l
February 25, 2012 2:14:43 AM

13thmonkey said:
you know you should only be using 1.5V ram, and greater than that could damage the CPU, and that ram is slow.

what temps on cpu and gpu (cpu in particular given that bump), I know that these are 'odd' questions with your symptoms.
are you using virtus's software, have you disabled the onboard, i'm assuming you are plugged into the discrete card, and not the mobo.

Yea I'm aware 1.5v is the recommend voltage. SB will handle 1.65v respectively and all the stress tests seem to validate the ram is running smooth. I raised the VTT voltage to 1.103v (Mobo does not have a 1.10v) to compensate the IMC. The CL is high on the RAM but that doesn't really mean anything on SB.

I'm plugged directly into the card and not the mobo...well except when I uninstalled the card and ran on the IGPU and still got the same issue. My temps are decent I ran Prime 95 for 8 hours last night and the higest temp was 53c. I'm Idling between 25c and 29c. I've never seen it go above 45c while gaming and that was in the witcher 2 for at least 4 or 5 straight hours. GPU peaks at about 60c.
m
l
Related resources
February 25, 2012 3:05:19 AM

What settings are you using in Metro 2033? A single 560ti is expected to get low frame rates in Metro 2033, especially when turning fast and low frame rates feel like stuttering. What is your FPS during these times?
m
l
February 25, 2012 4:12:04 AM

The Tv's refresh rate is 60hz and I've adjusted Nvidia control panel. Getting the stutter with or without Vsync and regardless of the game settings. I'm averaging 45-50fps on High and 35-40fps on very high. I'm starting to think it could be the TV. I emailed Asrock aand they want me to RMA the board so it looks like I may be doing that.
m
l
!