Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

About to buy a new video card (Need advice please)

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Graphics Cards
  • Video Games
  • Product
Last response: in Video Games
Share
February 24, 2012 7:52:03 PM

Hello everyone!

I am about to purchase a new video card for my rig. I am playing BF3 and Skyrim mostly and am wanting to upgrade to DX11 graphics. I am not worried about running on "Max" settings per say, I just want the game to look good and run smooth. Do you Guys/Gals see any bottle necking problems with this setup or do you think it should be ok? I am thinking of purchasing the NVIDIA - GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 Graphics Card. Thank you so much for your time and responses! Here are my system specs:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: OEM
System Model: OEM
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4088MB RAM

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 260
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_05E2&SUBSYS_0FA919F1&REV_A1
Display Memory: 2664 MB
Dedicated Memory: 877 MB
Shared Memory: 1787 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1200 (32 bit) (59Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: Hanns.G HG281
Monitor Id: HSD1CF3
Native Mode: 1920 x 1200(p) (59.950Hz)

More about : buy video card advice

Best solution

February 24, 2012 8:52:41 PM

The 560ti is a good card capable of running bf3 on high at most resolutions but it might struggle at 1920x1200. At that point I would recommend a 6950 2gb, or the next price bracket up being the 6970 2gb/gtx 570 1.25gb.

With cost being a concern for a lot of people though, and your initial interest in the 560ti, I would say 2gb 6950 is on the money for you at this resolution. 560ti's 1gb just won't be enough all of the time.

On a side note, would recommend getting that i7 to 3ghz at least. Don't need to go crazy with it but a little more OC would be advisable.
Share
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2012 9:20:36 PM

2GB is a big benefit given similar levels of pixel pushing power.
Score
0
February 24, 2012 9:24:39 PM

I think a gtx 560ti or gtx 570 is a good choice. You should get ultra on skyrim with a 570 Thats what I have and it runs skyrim amazingly), and max or close to it with a 560ti depending on desired frame rate. I'm not sure about BF3 though. Same goes for the 6950/6970.
Score
0
February 24, 2012 9:26:52 PM

psychodegu said:
I think a gtx 560ti or gtx 570 is a good choice. You should get ultra on skyrim with a 570 Thats what I have and it runs skyrim amazingly), and max or close to it with a 560ti depending on desired frame rate. I'm not sure about BF3 though. Same goes for the 6950/6970.


His native resolution is the only factor really diminishing the value of the 560ti. 1920x1200 is getting into large territory.
Score
0
February 24, 2012 9:27:48 PM

13thmonkey said:
2GB is a big benefit given similar levels of pixel pushing power.


I run sky rim and every other modern game I own at 2500x1600 and that is with 1.25 GB on the gtx 570, And I never come close to maxing out that vram. Really at his resolution he is fine with anythin 1Gb or higher.
Score
0
February 24, 2012 9:32:39 PM

psychodegu said:
I run sky rim and every other modern game I own at 2500x1600 and that is with 1.25 GB on the gtx 570, And I never come close to maxing out that vram. Really at his resolution he is fine with anythin 1Gb or higher.


I just moved away from a 1920x1200 monitor specifically b/c at that resolution, BF3 can eat more than 1.45gb of vram. BF3 is one of the most vram hungry games I've ever seen.

Skyrim isn't very demanding. Moreso your CPU will lead to issues with shadows and towns than anything gpu related. My 570 ran it at 1920x1200 at literally maxed settings with lowest fps (before the new drivers) being 61 in town fps benchmark spots. I do have doubts that it would have maintained that performance at 2500x1600 though, even with the new optimizations and new driverset.
Score
0
February 25, 2012 7:00:25 AM

Thanks a lot for your responses! I (being the impatient person that I am) went ahead and got the 560ti. It is doing well most of the time as casualcolors said, but at times in large 64 player conquest games it does stutter at times. In smaller 16-24 player games it handles really well. Thanks again for the responses and for your time reading my post! :D 
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
February 25, 2012 7:38:39 AM

Get the 560ti and use the 260 for physix.
Score
0
February 25, 2012 8:00:27 PM

skullshots said:
Thanks a lot for your responses! I (being the impatient person that I am) went ahead and got the 560ti. It is doing well most of the time as casualcolors said, but at times in large 64 player conquest games it does stutter at times. In smaller 16-24 player games it handles really well. Thanks again for the responses and for your time reading my post! :D 



It really shouldn't be stuttering :s I run BF3 on a 550ti at medium and it never stutters, I would recommend lowering your settings. However it could be caused ( as said above ) by your large res. Then again I'm running it at 1920x1080.
Score
0
February 26, 2012 3:41:25 AM

das_stig said:
Get the 560ti and use the 260 for physix.
now you have me curious, I have a 580 coming in and I'm building new but I still have the rig I'm using now which has a qx9650 and gtx295. I couldn't use the 295 toward physx could I? I also have a gt9600 laying around lol.
Score
0
February 26, 2012 3:58:06 AM

jfizzle4321 said:
now you have me curious, I have a 580 coming in and I'm building new but I still have the rig I'm using now which has a qx9650 and gtx295. I couldn't use the 295 toward physx could I? I also have a gt9600 laying around lol.


As long as you have the power supply and pciex lanes for it.
Score
0
February 26, 2012 4:15:48 AM

casualcolors said:
As long as you have the power supply and pciex lanes for it.

I have a rampage IV coming in with a 1050 w so I'm good there. I just didn't realize that it was possible to use a dx10 and dx11 card simultaneously in something like BF3
Score
0
February 26, 2012 2:15:31 PM

jfizzle4321 said:
I have a rampage IV coming in with a 1050 w so I'm good there. I just didn't realize that it was possible to use a dx10 and dx11 card simultaneously in something like BF3


You can't, but that's because BF3 doesn't have physx.

I know that the 8800 has been a popular physx card for people during the dx11 era though. So there should be nothing wrong with yours.
Score
0
March 4, 2012 12:31:21 AM

So when you are using a second card for physics, do you have to bridge them together or just install it as a stand alone card. I am assuming that I would just dedicate its gpu for physics in the NVIDIA software?
Score
0
March 14, 2012 1:38:25 PM

Best answer selected by skullshots.
Score
0
!