CPU utilization 100% When Connected to ISP via modem

August 10, 2005 8:08:16 AM

Hello, I have had an issue just crop up on my dell dimension 4550
running xp pro, 2.53 p4 with 1 gig of ram. Seems that everything is
fine until I connect to a web page. I can start IE, and everything is
fine, utilization is 0-20%, but once I type in a url and hit go, cpu
goes to 100%, eventually the web page loads after a few minutes or
more(on dial up, 56k) where this only took seconds in the past. Have
current virus defintions, running ms antispyware also current. If I
finally disconnect from the internet, and close IE, cpu utilization
goes back down. I gave up and restored from a ghost image from a month
ago back when i know it was working, and it still is doing the same
thing and it has me stumped. I was thinking maybe its having hard drive
issues, but it works fine unless I connect to the internet. Also, I can
simply bring up IE and it works fine, no pegged CPU, but as soon as I
connect to my isp and try to load a web page, cpu goes to 100% and does
not recover. Looking at task mngr, ieexplorer and explorer.exe are
really the only things that are taking all the cpu time....any clues
out there?
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 1:05:42 PM

Hi abeljda,
Are you sure your system isnt infected with adware and spyware? Install
something like Adaware and Spybot search and destroy too. I think IE
isnt the best choice for a browser either. Also hope you do your
regular maintenance stuff like disk cleanup and defrag.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 1:27:55 PM

Check your graphics card drivers:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=175148

Michael

"abeljda" <abeljda@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I have had an issue just crop up on my dell dimension 4550
> running xp pro, 2.53 p4 with 1 gig of ram. Seems that everything is
> fine until I connect to a web page. I can start IE, and everything is
> fine, utilization is 0-20%, but once I type in a url and hit go, cpu
> goes to 100%, eventually the web page loads after a few minutes or
> more(on dial up, 56k) where this only took seconds in the past. Have
> current virus defintions, running ms antispyware also current. If I
> finally disconnect from the internet, and close IE, cpu utilization
> goes back down. I gave up and restored from a ghost image from a month
> ago back when i know it was working, and it still is doing the same
> thing and it has me stumped. I was thinking maybe its having hard drive
> issues, but it works fine unless I connect to the internet. Also, I can
> simply bring up IE and it works fine, no pegged CPU, but as soon as I
> connect to my isp and try to load a web page, cpu goes to 100% and does
> not recover. Looking at task mngr, ieexplorer and explorer.exe are
> really the only things that are taking all the cpu time....any clues
> out there?

August 12, 2005 11:40:38 AM

Hello there, yes I run diskeeper 9.0 regular, like I mentioned above I
run current norton antivirus, and microsoft spyware, it really seems
like I do have a virus but nothing is getting picked up. Also
everything works great...untile I Try to connect to my isp....
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 11:42:02 AM

hello, what would make you think the graphics card drivers would be
suspect? Everything works fine as long as I do not try to go to a web
page, I can use all my other apps just fine, thanks!!
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 3:08:53 PM

Is it when you connect or when you use IE that the CPU runs at 100%? Try to:
1. Update IE - there was a problem with a recent update and now it's
"fixed."
2. Use Firefox instead of IE - it would take a few minutes if you can
download it with that machine.
3. Might be Norton vs. ISP connection. If you can effectively disable
Norton, give it a try; otherwise, install XP on another drive/partition but
don't install Norton and connect to ISP.
4. Might also be some other service or app that hangs - check in Device
Manager and in Event Viewer for problem devices.
5. Delete the connection in Network Connection and redo it correctly.
Reinstall modem drivers, too.
6. Disable unnecesary programs in msconfig.
7. That nothing gets picked up by your antiwhatever means... little. Clean
install XP.
8. Dial up is obsolite - a torture invented in the Dark Ages of networking,
I'd say :)
Michael

Mmm, I'd look at Norton vs. ISP connection. Try to connect to ISP without
using Norton - install XP on another hard drive for testing purposes and
connect to ISP.
> Hello there, yes I run diskeeper 9.0 regular, like I mentioned above I
> run current norton antivirus, and microsoft spyware, it really seems
> like I do have a virus but nothing is getting picked up. Also
> everything works great...untile I Try to connect to my isp....

Anonymous
August 12, 2005 5:04:03 PM

It might (or it might not) be the case that you run on default vga drivers
instead of your graphic cards' manufacturer drives - XP is like that... it
switches to default drivers sometimes :)
If you run on XP default vga drivers, web page rendering in IE *might* slow
down - pending BIOS or Display Properties settings. Check Display Adapters
in Device Manager or Dispaly Properties/Settings/Advanced....
This is one possible cause why only IE surfing is slow. There might be many
others, of course.

!