logan

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

My Nero Express tells me that my RW/DVD-ROM drive is not enabled for DMA. It
offers to use its own utility to enable DMA for the drive. But after
restarting the computer and invoking Nero again, it still has the same
message, i.e., it pops a message saying my drive is not DMA enabled.

I've tried resolving this using Windows Device Manager. However, I could
not find a "Enable DMA" checkbox in the properties window for the device.

How do I enable DMA for my RW/DVD-ROM drive?

DMA is supposed to be a setting in IDE. You need to install the correct
Ultra DMA drivers, which are normally part of the motherbaord chipset
drivers. However, if you are using a motherboard which is based on an Intel
chipset, Intel now uses their Intel Application Accerlator software to
provide DMA.

Also, when using DMA, you should be using an 80 wire/40 pins IDE cable. If
not, your PC may still use PIO mode to access the RW/DVD drive.

"Logan" <Logan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Nero Express tells me that my RW/DVD-ROM drive is not enabled for DMA.
> It
> offers to use its own utility to enable DMA for the drive. But after
> restarting the computer and invoking Nero again, it still has the same
> message, i.e., it pops a message saying my drive is not DMA enabled.
>
> I've tried resolving this using Windows Device Manager. However, I could
> not find a "Enable DMA" checkbox in the properties window for the device.
>
> How do I enable DMA for my RW/DVD-ROM drive?

The highest DMA setting available for DVD/CD drives is Ultra DMA Mode 2, a standard 40 wire cable is all that is needed. 80 wire cable is not needed unless the DVD/CD is on the same cable as a HDD which is capable of UDMA 5 or 6.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff