Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to be able to send a JPG to Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
by using Send To. I know that it can be done more directly, but I
won't waste the space trying to explain why I want to do it this way.

I've created a shortcut in the Send To folder. The Target of the
shortcut is . . .

%SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe
%SystemRoot%\System32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen

When I double click on the shortcut itself, it starts the Viewer, so
the shortcut is working. When I try to send a JPG to it using Send To,
it doesn't work. Does anybody know how I might get this to work? Any
advice would be much appreciated.

Ken

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:10:29 -0400, kjk wrote:

> From: kjk <kjk@usa.com>
> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
> Subject: Send To shortcut doesn't work
> Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:10:29 -0400
>
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm trying to be able to send a JPG to Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
> by using Send To. I know that it can be done more directly, but I
> won't waste the space trying to explain why I want to do it this way.
>
> I've created a shortcut in the Send To folder. The Target of the
> shortcut is . . .
>
> %SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe
> %SystemRoot%\System32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen
>
> When I double click on the shortcut itself, it starts the Viewer, so
> the shortcut is working. When I try to send a JPG to it using Send To,
> it doesn't work. Does anybody know how I might get this to work? Any
> advice would be much appreciated.
>
> Ken

The shortcut will need to use DDE more than likely insert
a "%1" statement after the shimgview.dll and before the
ImageView_Fullscreen. The line may look like:
%SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe
%SystemRoot%\system32\shimgvw.dll "%1", ImageView_Fullscreen
and your file you send would be inserted in place of the dde
message
--
Lester Stiefel
In Romans 1 there are qualities of Unregenerate man listed

Thanks for the suggestion, but that doesn't seem to work. It doesn't
even work if I use the pathname to a particular JPG, ie
"C:\Marina.jpg", either with quotes or without quotes.

Ken

--------------------------------

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 04:53:43 GMT, Lester Stiefel <les7954@verizon.net>
wrote:

>On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:10:29 -0400, kjk wrote:

>> From: kjk <kjk@usa.com>
>> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
>> Subject: Send To shortcut doesn't work
>> Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:10:29 -0400
>>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I'm trying to be able to send a JPG to Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
>> by using Send To. I know that it can be done more directly, but I
>> won't waste the space trying to explain why I want to do it this way.
>>
>> I've created a shortcut in the Send To folder. The Target of the
>> shortcut is . . .
>>
>> %SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe
>> %SystemRoot%\System32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen
>>
>> When I double click on the shortcut itself, it starts the Viewer, so
>> the shortcut is working. When I try to send a JPG to it using Send To,
>> it doesn't work. Does anybody know how I might get this to work? Any
>> advice would be much appreciated.
>>
>> Ken
>
> The shortcut will need to use DDE more than likely insert
>a "%1" statement after the shimgview.dll and before the
>ImageView_Fullscreen. The line may look like:
>%SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe
>%SystemRoot%\system32\shimgvw.dll "%1", ImageView_Fullscreen
>and your file you send would be inserted in place of the dde
>message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Ken,

I think there is a workaround for this. But, why're you so particular about
adding WPFV to the Send To?

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"kjk" <kjk@usa.com> wrote in message
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm trying to be able to send a JPG to Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
> by using Send To. I know that it can be done more directly, but I
> won't waste the space trying to explain why I want to do it this way.
>
> I've created a shortcut in the Send To folder. The Target of the
> shortcut is . . .
>
> %SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe
> %SystemRoot%\System32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen
>
> When I double click on the shortcut itself, it starts the Viewer, so
> the shortcut is working. When I try to send a JPG to it using Send To,
> it doesn't work. Does anybody know how I might get this to work? Any
> advice would be much appreciated.
>
> Ken

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Ramesh,

My wife has a Win2000 system at work. It has a shimgvw.dll file, but
her file doesn't seem to contain WPFV. WPFV doesn't appear in Open
With and her shimgvw.dll file properties don't indicate it.

She really likes WPFV as a way of viewing pictures (only during lunch
hour, of course), so I'm trying to find a way of adding it to her
system. At first, I considered just replacing her shimgvw.dll file
with my WinXP shimgvw.dll file, but I decided that I don't want to
take the chance of screwing up her office system, and it might not
show up in her Open With dialog anyway. That's when I started moving
in the direction of trying to add it to her Send To folder. I could
place my WinXP file in a separate location on her system and use that
file path in the shortcut.

Do you know if just replacing her shimgvw.dll would safely work?
What would your workaround be?

Thanks,

Ken

----------------------------

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 09:36:17 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
<ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote:

>Ken,
>
>I think there is a workaround for this. But, why're you so particular about
>adding WPFV to the Send To?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Ken,

I don't have a Windows 2000 system here to test with. BTW, are you sure that
Windows 2000 comes with a shimgvw.dll module?

--

> Ramesh,
>
> My wife has a Win2000 system at work. It has a shimgvw.dll file, but
> her file doesn't seem to contain WPFV. WPFV doesn't appear in Open
> With and her shimgvw.dll file properties don't indicate it.
>
> She really likes WPFV as a way of viewing pictures (only during lunch
> hour, of course), so I'm trying to find a way of adding it to her
> system. At first, I considered just replacing her shimgvw.dll file
> with my WinXP shimgvw.dll file, but I decided that I don't want to
> take the chance of screwing up her office system, and it might not
> show up in her Open With dialog anyway. That's when I started moving
> in the direction of trying to add it to her Send To folder. I could
> place my WinXP file in a separate location on her system and use that
> file path in the shortcut.
>
> Do you know if just replacing her shimgvw.dll would safely work?
> What would your workaround be?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken
>
> ----------------------------
>
> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 09:36:17 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
> <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>Ken,
>>
>>I think there is a workaround for this. But, why're you so particular
>>about
>>adding WPFV to the Send To?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Yes, it does, but the properties page doesn't say Windows Picture and
Fax Viewer, it says something else. She told me what, but I don't
remember. Assuming that we don't want to mess with her system files,
what would your workaround be? Thanks.

Ken

----------------------------------

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 19:02:55 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
<ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote:

>Ken,
>
>I don't have a Windows 2000 system here to test with. BTW, are you sure that
>Windows 2000 comes with a shimgvw.dll module?

--------------------------------

"kjk" <kjk@usa.com> wrote in message
> Ramesh,
>
> My wife has a Win2000 system at work. It has a shimgvw.dll file, but
> her file doesn't seem to contain WPFV. WPFV doesn't appear in Open
> With and her shimgvw.dll file properties don't indicate it.
>
> She really likes WPFV as a way of viewing pictures (only during lunch
> hour, of course), so I'm trying to find a way of adding it to her
> system. At first, I considered just replacing her shimgvw.dll file
> with my WinXP shimgvw.dll file, but I decided that I don't want to
> take the chance of screwing up her office system, and it might not
> show up in her Open With dialog anyway. That's when I started moving
> in the direction of trying to add it to her Send To folder. I could
> place my WinXP file in a separate location on her system and use that
> file path in the shortcut.
>
> Do you know if just replacing her shimgvw.dll would safely work?
> What would your workaround be?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken
>
> ----------------------------
>
> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 09:36:17 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
> <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>Ken,
>>
>>I think there is a workaround for this. But, why're you so particular
>>about adding WPFV to the Send To?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Ken,

My workaround is to place a shortcut to my VBScript in the SendTo folder.
This script then invokes the shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen and passes the
argument (the name of the file that's being sent to). This script works fine
(and launches WPFV) in my Windows XP system, not sure about Windows 2000.
'Ramesh Srinivasan
'Adds Windows Picture Viewer to SendTo
Set wshshell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
ViewerPath = "rundll32.exe " & _
WshShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%systemroot%")
ViewerPath = ViewerPath & _
"\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen "

Dim Validator
Validator = "Validate"
Set objArgs = WScript.Arguments
For I = 0 to objArgs.Count - 1
InspExt = lcase(right(objArgs(I),4))

Select Case InspExt
Case ".bmp"
Case ".jpg"
Case ".gif"
Case "jpeg"
Case ".tif"
Case "tiff"
Case ".png"
Case ".wmf"
Case else Validator = "NoValidate"
end select

if Validator = "Validate" then
ViewImg = ViewerPath & objArgs(I)
WshShell.Run ViewImg, 1,True
else
msgbox "Unsupported file type for WPFV"
end if
Next
======================================

Copy the above contents to a Notepad, and save as "wpfv.vbs". Save this to
your Windows folder, and place a shortcut of this file in the Send To
folder. If the DLL is supported (i've not tested it in Win2000), then it
should display the picture.

--

> Yes, it does, but the properties page doesn't say Windows Picture and
> Fax Viewer, it says something else. She told me what, but I don't
> remember. Assuming that we don't want to mess with her system files,
> what would your workaround be? Thanks.
>
> Ken
>
> ----------------------------------
>
> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 19:02:55 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
> <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>Ken,
>>
>>I don't have a Windows 2000 system here to test with. BTW, are you sure
>>that
>>Windows 2000 comes with a shimgvw.dll module?
>
> --------------------------------
>
> "kjk" <kjk@usa.com> wrote in message
>> Ramesh,
>>
>> My wife has a Win2000 system at work. It has a shimgvw.dll file, but
>> her file doesn't seem to contain WPFV. WPFV doesn't appear in Open
>> With and her shimgvw.dll file properties don't indicate it.
>>
>> She really likes WPFV as a way of viewing pictures (only during lunch
>> hour, of course), so I'm trying to find a way of adding it to her
>> system. At first, I considered just replacing her shimgvw.dll file
>> with my WinXP shimgvw.dll file, but I decided that I don't want to
>> take the chance of screwing up her office system, and it might not
>> show up in her Open With dialog anyway. That's when I started moving
>> in the direction of trying to add it to her Send To folder. I could
>> place my WinXP file in a separate location on her system and use that
>> file path in the shortcut.
>>
>> Do you know if just replacing her shimgvw.dll would safely work?
>> What would your workaround be?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ken
>>
>> ----------------------------
>>
>> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 09:36:17 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
>> <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote:
>>
>>>Ken,
>>>
>>>I think there is a workaround for this. But, why're you so particular
>>>about adding WPFV to the Send To?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Ramesh,

I like that! I was thinking along the script line myself, but I don't
know anything about scripts except that they're something like the DOS
batch files that I used to write. If we reached a dead end here, my
how I can get it to work in Win2000. Thanks for your help.

Ken

--------------------------------------

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 20:46:28 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
<ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote:

>Ken,
>
>My workaround is to place a shortcut to my VBScript in the SendTo folder.
>This script then invokes the shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen and passes the
>argument (the name of the file that's being sent to). This script works fine
>(and launches WPFV) in my Windows XP system, not sure about Windows 2000.
>'Ramesh Srinivasan
>'Adds Windows Picture Viewer to SendTo
>Set wshshell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
>ViewerPath = "rundll32.exe " & _
>WshShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%systemroot%")
>ViewerPath = ViewerPath & _
>"\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen "
>
>Dim Validator
>Validator = "Validate"
>Set objArgs = WScript.Arguments
>For I = 0 to objArgs.Count - 1
> InspExt = lcase(right(objArgs(I),4))
>
>Select Case InspExt
> Case ".bmp"
> Case ".jpg"
> Case ".gif"
> Case "jpeg"
> Case ".tif"
> Case "tiff"
> Case ".png"
> Case ".wmf"
> Case else Validator = "NoValidate"
>end select
>
>if Validator = "Validate" then
> ViewImg = ViewerPath & objArgs(I)
> WshShell.Run ViewImg, 1,True
>else
> msgbox "Unsupported file type for WPFV"
> end if
>Next
>======================================
>
>Copy the above contents to a Notepad, and save as "wpfv.vbs". Save this to
>your Windows folder, and place a shortcut of this file in the Send To
>folder. If the DLL is supported (i've not tested it in Win2000), then it
>should display the picture.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Ken,

Though shimgvw.dll might be present in your Windows 2000 system, I'm unsure
if the entrypoint "ImageView_Fullscr­een" will be available. If that's the
case, the script/and the Preview won't work. BTW, what's the Version info of
the shimgvw.dll in your W2k system? If you're wanting to use the XP's
version, you may try placing it in C:\TestFolder, and change the paths in
the script accordingly. Again, the above info is untested by me yet.

--

> Ramesh,
>
> I like that! I was thinking along the script line myself, but I don't
> know anything about scripts except that they're something like the DOS
> batch files that I used to write. If we reached a dead end here, my
> how I can get it to work in Win2000. Thanks for your help.
>
> Ken
>
> --------------------------------------
>
> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 20:46:28 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
> <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>Ken,
>>
>>My workaround is to place a shortcut to my VBScript in the SendTo folder.
>>This script then invokes the shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen and passes
>>the
>>argument (the name of the file that's being sent to). This script works
>>fine
>>(and launches WPFV) in my Windows XP system, not sure about Windows 2000.
>>===========================================================
>>'Ramesh Srinivasan
>>'Adds Windows Picture Viewer to SendTo
>>Set wshshell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
>>ViewerPath = "rundll32.exe " & _
>>WshShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%systemroot%")
>>ViewerPath = ViewerPath & _
>>"\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen "
>>
>>Dim Validator
>>Validator = "Validate"
>>Set objArgs = WScript.Arguments
>>For I = 0 to objArgs.Count - 1
>> InspExt = lcase(right(objArgs(I),4))
>>
>>Select Case InspExt
>> Case ".bmp"
>> Case ".jpg"
>> Case ".gif"
>> Case "jpeg"
>> Case ".tif"
>> Case "tiff"
>> Case ".png"
>> Case ".wmf"
>> Case else Validator = "NoValidate"
>>end select
>>
>>if Validator = "Validate" then
>> ViewImg = ViewerPath & objArgs(I)
>> WshShell.Run ViewImg, 1,True
>>else
>> msgbox "Unsupported file type for WPFV"
>> end if
>>Next
>>======================================
>>
>>Copy the above contents to a Notepad, and save as "wpfv.vbs". Save this to
>>your Windows folder, and place a shortcut of this file in the Send To
>>folder. If the DLL is supported (i've not tested it in Win2000), then it
>>should display the picture.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Ramesh,

Testing these ideas has been a slow process because the Win2K system
is my wife's system at work and I don't have access to it, so I have
to try to communicate the step by step instructions to her.

Re: Though shimgvw.dll might be present in your Windows 2000 system,
I'm unsure if the entrypoint "ImageView_Fullscreen" will be available.

You're right. When we tried to run:

%SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe %SystemRoot%\system32\shimgvw.dll,
ImageView_Fullscreen

. . . on the Win2K system, it returned:

"Error in C:\WINNT\sys32\shimgvw.dll missing entry: Image
View_fullscreen"

Re: If you're wanting to use the XP's version

I tested that by creating a CD with the following WinXP files:
1) rundll32.exe
2) shimgvw.dll
3) a shortcut with the following target:
D:\rundll32.exe D:\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen

When I clicked on the shortcut in my XP system, the viewer ran. There
was no picture in it, of course, but it did open. When my wife tried
the same thing on her 2K system, in returned:

"Entry point not found. The procedure entry point activateactcty
could not be found located in the dynamic link library kernel32.dll."

I'm not sure if she copied "activateactcty" correctly, but apparantly
the WinXP files won't run on the Win2K system.

Thanks again for your help.

Ken

---------------------------------------

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 21:59:08 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
<ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote:

>Ken,
>
>Though shimgvw.dll might be present in your Windows 2000 system, I'm unsure
>if the entrypoint "ImageView_Fullscr­een" will be available. If that's the
>case, the script/and the Preview won't work. BTW, what's the Version info of
>the shimgvw.dll in your W2k system? If you're wanting to use the XP's
>version, you may try placing it in C:\TestFolder, and change the paths in
>the script accordingly. Again, the above info is untested by me yet.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Ken,

You're welcome.

BTW, ActivateActCtx is an entry-point found in Windows XP's kernel32.dll
only. (or above)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/sbscs/setup/activateactctx.asp

Requirements
ClientRequires Windows XP.
ServerRequires Windows Server 2003.
HeaderDeclared in Winbase.h; include Windows.h.
LibraryLink to Kernel32.lib.
DLLRequires Kernel32.dll.

--

> Ramesh,
>
> Testing these ideas has been a slow process because the Win2K system
> is my wife's system at work and I don't have access to it, so I have
> to try to communicate the step by step instructions to her.
>
> Re: Though shimgvw.dll might be present in your Windows 2000 system,
> I'm unsure if the entrypoint "ImageView_Fullscreen" will be available.
>
> You're right. When we tried to run:
>
> %SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe %SystemRoot%\system32\shimgvw.dll,
> ImageView_Fullscreen
>
> . . . on the Win2K system, it returned:
>
> "Error in C:\WINNT\sys32\shimgvw.dll missing entry: Image
> View_fullscreen"
>
> Re: If you're wanting to use the XP's version
>
> I tested that by creating a CD with the following WinXP files:
> 1) rundll32.exe
> 2) shimgvw.dll
> 3) a shortcut with the following target:
> D:\rundll32.exe D:\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen
>
> When I clicked on the shortcut in my XP system, the viewer ran. There
> was no picture in it, of course, but it did open. When my wife tried
> the same thing on her 2K system, in returned:
>
> "Entry point not found. The procedure entry point activateactcty
> could not be found located in the dynamic link library kernel32.dll."
>
> I'm not sure if she copied "activateactcty" correctly, but apparantly
> the WinXP files won't run on the Win2K system.
>
> Thanks again for your help.
>
> Ken
>
> ---------------------------------------
>
> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 21:59:08 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
> <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>Ken,
>>
>>Though shimgvw.dll might be present in your Windows 2000 system, I'm
>>unsure
>>if the entrypoint "ImageView_Fullscr­een" will be available. If that's the
>>case, the script/and the Preview won't work. BTW, what's the Version info
>>of
>>the shimgvw.dll in your W2k system? If you're wanting to use the XP's
>>version, you may try placing it in C:\TestFolder, and change the paths in
>>the script accordingly. Again, the above info is untested by me yet.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

I'm using XP SP2 at work. I have read a large number of the posts
containing shimgvw.dll, all of which are saying that 2K doesn't have
the ImageView_Fullscreen entrypoint.

I appear to be the only one who is getting the error "Error in
C:\WINNT\sys32\shimgvw.dll missing entry: ImageView_fullscreen" in XP.
The Photo Printing Wizard works as normal, and there is no association
for the Image Viewing Wizard as I have Office 2K3 which includes an
Image Viewer, the error message only comes up when I run

rundll32.exe shimgvw.dll,ImageView_FullScreen

from the command line. It doesn't make any difference whether I pass it
a picture or not (using a filename at the end, with or without "").

Any Ideas?

TIA

Dave

> > Re: Though shimgvw.dll might be present in your Windows 2000 system,
> > I'm unsure if the entrypoint "ImageView_Fullscreen" will be available.
> >
> > %SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe %SystemRoot%\system32\shimgvw.dll,
> > ImageView_Fullscreen
> >
> > . . . on the Win2K system, it returned:
> >
> > "Error in C:\WINNT\sys32\shimgvw.dll missing entry: Image
> > View_fullscreen"

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

PS the command I'm actually trying to use is:

rundll32.exe shimgvw.dll,ImageView_PrintTo /pt "%1" "%2"

(%1 = filename, %2 = printername)

That doesn't work either and doesn't return an error, whether I specify
%1, %2, neither, or both.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

It's ImageView_Fullscreen
not
ImageView_fullscreen

The parameter is case-sensitive.