Can I use currant upgrade on new board???

Story

For a new build I used a harddrive with an oem version of Win-7 on it. I got a upgrade version of Win-7 ( clean install ) and the activation went perfect.

Now the question: If I change my board will my currant version of Win-7 be transferable? I know that OEM versions aren't but now that I'm using an upgrade version is it still treated as a oem? :sweat:

I can't find a clear answer.

I need help, quick!!!

Solution
To clarify, to be strictly legit you would need to own a full retail licence of XP, Win 2000 or Vista to be able to use your upgrade of W7 to migrate it to a new pc, as the oem you have is locked to the original pc. Changing the board is considered by Microsoft to be a new pc, except when replacing the faulty board by one the same or similar to it.
However Microsoft have left the door open allowing a clean install with the upgrade disk. A lot of people have used this option to save money, rather then buying a full version.
So after replacing the board you reinstall W7 and phone Microsoft to reactivate and tell them you are replacing a faulty board and you only have it installed on one pc.

Jonmor68

Distinguished
Microsoft consider a new motherboard as a new pc for the purpose of the licence agreement.
However they are fairly flexible when replacing a failed board, but a phone call will be required to reactivate. Tell that you are only using it on one pc.
The licence terms from the original instalation apply, which is your oem and as such is locked into the original pc and is not transferable.
You can reuse the upgrade on a preinstalled XP or Vista system.

Huh? I plan on doing a clean install anyway. So, If I reinstall and activate over the phone I'll be okay? :heink:

Could be hit or miss. I had a friend who swapped boards on a W7 build and had no problems. I swapped a board with XP and got jammed up with the BS. Perhaps because I did it twice. The first one may have been ok but I swapped another board and that being the second time it may have hampered the process. ( trying to determine problem hardware )

Jonmor68

Distinguished

A clean install does not change the licence conditions.
You asked "Now the question: If I change my board will my currant version of Win-7 be transferable?"
That's what I replied to. As stated the upgrade is transferable the oem version is not and the upgrade requires a previous instalation to be legit.

(Sorry I'm a little slow.)
So you mean that I could install over what I'm using if I'm forced to reinstall with the board change, and have a still useable licence?

To be clearer: I don't have to buy any thing right? Explaining the ordeal to the phone activation lady is all I need right?

Jonmor68

Distinguished
To clarify, to be strictly legit you would need to own a full retail licence of XP, Win 2000 or Vista to be able to use your upgrade of W7 to migrate it to a new pc, as the oem you have is locked to the original pc. Changing the board is considered by Microsoft to be a new pc, except when replacing the faulty board by one the same or similar to it.
However Microsoft have left the door open allowing a clean install with the upgrade disk. A lot of people have used this option to save money, rather then buying a full version.
So after replacing the board you reinstall W7 and phone Microsoft to reactivate and tell them you are replacing a faulty board and you only have it installed on one pc.

Solution

Thank you so much for a clear answer!!!!

That's gonna save me a lot of money to buy a better new board!!!!!!!! :bounce: