Defragmenter won't work.

August 11, 2005 11:15:07 PM

Hello

I have a RAID format (2x40GB) split into 2 partitions (10GB & 70GB) and I
want to defrag them. However, the program won't do so as the options are
greyed out. It will analyse them though.

I thought it might be because I had once installed Diskeeper (trial version)
and it had turned Windows XP's off. I've installed it again but that too has
the defragment option greyed out.

Both programs will analyse the drives. I have 4GB of free space on one and
27GB on the other. Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks for your attention and any advice you can give.

David

More about : defragmenter work

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 11:15:08 PM

Run disk clean up first,then open cmd prompt,type:D efrag C:

"David" wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have a RAID format (2x40GB) split into 2 partitions (10GB & 70GB) and I
> want to defrag them. However, the program won't do so as the options are
> greyed out. It will analyse them though.
>
> I thought it might be because I had once installed Diskeeper (trial version)
> and it had turned Windows XP's off. I've installed it again but that too has
> the defragment option greyed out.
>
> Both programs will analyse the drives. I have 4GB of free space on one and
> 27GB on the other. Does anyone know what's going on?
>
> Thanks for your attention and any advice you can give.
>
> David

August 13, 2005 1:30:49 AM

Thanks for the advice, I have done what you have advised but unfortunately
it did not work. After typing in defrag c: at the cmd prompt it stated that
"windows cannot connect to the disk defragmenter engine" I'm going to see if
I can reinstall the program using the XP disc. I don't know if this is
possible or whether it will work if can but please let me know if you have
any other ideas.Thank you, David.

"Andrew E wrote:
> Run disk clean up first,then open cmd prompt,type:D efrag C:
>
> "David" wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> I have a RAID format (2x40GB) split into 2 partitions (10GB & 70GB) and I
>> want to defrag them. However, the program won't do so as the options are
>> greyed out. It will analyse them though.
>>
>> I thought it might be because I had once installed Diskeeper (trial
>> version)
>> and it had turned Windows XP's off. I've installed it again but that too
>> has
>> the defragment option greyed out.
>>
>> Both programs will analyse the drives. I have 4GB of free space on one
>> and
>> 27GB on the other. Does anyone know what's going on?
>>
>> Thanks for your attention and any advice you can give.
>>
>> David

August 14, 2005 4:55:02 PM

Just a quick note for anyone interested and that is, I've fixed the problem
by finding this webpage:
http://www.andreasroom.com/blog/archive/2004/01/18/defr... The Dos part
didn't work for me and I couldn't find the Inf folder in Windows (I don't
seem to have one) so I downloaded the dfrg.inf file to my Desktop and then
installed it. The program seems to work now.

!