Defragmenter won't work.

Hello

I have a RAID format (2x40GB) split into 2 partitions (10GB & 70GB) and I
want to defrag them. However, the program won't do so as the options are
greyed out. It will analyse them though.

I thought it might be because I had once installed Diskeeper (trial version)
and it had turned Windows XP's off. I've installed it again but that too has
the defragment option greyed out.

Both programs will analyse the drives. I have 4GB of free space on one and
27GB on the other. Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks for your attention and any advice you can give.

David
3 answers Last reply
More about defragmenter work

    Run disk clean up first,then open cmd prompt,type:Defrag C:

    "David" wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I have a RAID format (2x40GB) split into 2 partitions (10GB & 70GB) and I
    > want to defrag them. However, the program won't do so as the options are
    > greyed out. It will analyse them though.
    >
    > I thought it might be because I had once installed Diskeeper (trial version)
    > and it had turned Windows XP's off. I've installed it again but that too has
    > the defragment option greyed out.
    >
    > Both programs will analyse the drives. I have 4GB of free space on one and
    > 27GB on the other. Does anyone know what's going on?
    >
    > Thanks for your attention and any advice you can give.
    >
    > David

    Thanks for the advice, I have done what you have advised but unfortunately
    it did not work. After typing in defrag c: at the cmd prompt it stated that
    "windows cannot connect to the disk defragmenter engine" I'm going to see if
    I can reinstall the program using the XP disc. I don't know if this is
    possible or whether it will work if can but please let me know if you have
    any other ideas.Thank you, David.

    "Andrew E wrote:
    > Run disk clean up first,then open cmd prompt,type:Defrag C:
    >
    > "David" wrote:
    >
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> I have a RAID format (2x40GB) split into 2 partitions (10GB & 70GB) and I
    >> want to defrag them. However, the program won't do so as the options are
    >> greyed out. It will analyse them though.
    >>
    >> I thought it might be because I had once installed Diskeeper (trial
    >> version)
    >> and it had turned Windows XP's off. I've installed it again but that too
    >> has
    >> the defragment option greyed out.
    >>
    >> Both programs will analyse the drives. I have 4GB of free space on one
    >> and
    >> 27GB on the other. Does anyone know what's going on?
    >>
    >> Thanks for your attention and any advice you can give.
    >>
    >> David

    Just a quick note for anyone interested and that is, I've fixed the problem
    by finding this webpage:
    http://www.andreasroom.com/blog/archive/2004/01/18/defrag.aspx The Dos part
    didn't work for me and I couldn't find the Inf folder in Windows (I don't
    seem to have one) so I downloaded the dfrg.inf file to my Desktop and then
    installed it. The program seems to work now.

    "David" <thebluecarrot@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the advice, I have done what you have advised but unfortunately
    > it did not work. After typing in defrag c: at the cmd prompt it stated
    > that
    > "windows cannot connect to the disk defragmenter engine" I'm going to see
    > if
    > I can reinstall the program using the XP disc. I don't know if this is
    > possible or whether it will work if can but please let me know if you
    > have
    > any other ideas.Thank you, David.
    >
    > "Andrew E wrote:
    >> Run disk clean up first,then open cmd prompt,type:Defrag C:
    >>
    >> "David" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello
    >>>
    >>> I have a RAID format (2x40GB) split into 2 partitions (10GB & 70GB) and
    >>> want to defrag them. However, the program won't do so as the options are
    >>> greyed out. It will analyse them though.
    >>>
    >>> I thought it might be because I had once installed Diskeeper (trial
    >>> version)
    >>> and it had turned Windows XP's off. I've installed it again but that too
    >>> has
    >>> the defragment option greyed out.
    >>>
    >>> Both programs will analyse the drives. I have 4GB of free space on one
    >>> and
    >>> 27GB on the other. Does anyone know what's going on?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for your attention and any advice you can give.
    >>>
    >>> David

Defragment Windows XP