EverQuest saved my life!

Y'know, I've seen so many bogus "EQ killed my child!" kind of claims, I
thought I'd put in an equally silly claim about how EverQuest saved my life
Friday night.

So, it's been snowing all day in Minnesota, our first serious snowstorm this
year. We have pretty good road crews, and they're usually right out there
plowing the snow off the freeways and laying down a layer of salt at the
same time. During continuous snowfalls like today, that means that the snow
gets cleared away and new snow is less likely to freeze and become slippery,
but it's still not the best of driving conditions.

So I'm driving home on the freeway, and it's been plowed with only a slight
layer of new snow on top of it. I'm going about forty, which is plenty fast
enough in these conditions and a bit faster than most other drivers. In fact
I've pulled away from the pack and there are no other cars within half a
mile of me. It's dark and I'm driving through an area of construction, which
means there are two lanes but no shoulders - just a concrete barrier.

Ahead of me, the freeway splits in two - one lane heads off towards an exit
on the right, the other two lanes take a moderate turn to the left. Two cars
are bearing to the right, towards the exit.

As I watch, the driver of one of the cars suddenly realizes he doesn't
actually want to take the exit. In a move which can only be attributed to
pure panic, he slams on the brakes. His car begins fishtailing badly. He
takes off the brakes and tries to accelerate to regain control. He jerks
forward and, realizing he's now heading directly for the concrete barriers
on the other side of the freeway, slams on the brakes again. He ends at
complete stop, perpendicular to the freeway, a hundred yards directly in
front of me.

My headlights illuminate the driver's side window quite nicely. I can
actually see him looking at me, his expression one of someone who has just
lost control over his destiny, fate heading directly towards him at forty
miles an hour.

So, I have two options (three if you want to include failing to react at all
and just plowing into him.) I can try to stop. On dry payment I think I
could stop in time, but under these conditions, I'm not so sure. Or I can
try to change lanes and get by him on the right. There's ample room to do so
as long as he doesn't suddenly put it in reverse.

Both of these options flashed through my mind in less than a second, far
less time than it takes to actually articulate. I decided to go around him,
and smoothly drifted to the right, coming somewhat close but missing him
quite easily. I continue on, and in the rear-view mirror I see him back away
from the barrier and attempt to straighten out.

Disaster averted, and we both escaped both injury and damage. My car is less
than a year old and I would not at all have enjoyed seeing it come to harm.

A couple of miles later it occurred to me that I wasn't nervous or shaky or
anything. In fact, during the whole encounter no surge of adrenaline caused
my heart to start racing. In fact, I just calmly but quickly assessed my
options and chose a course of action.

And then it struck me: this was just like a bad pull! I reacted exactly the
same way I'd react when three mobs run into camp, the chanter starts getting
hit, and the shaman is afk. I'd have to choose who to heal, what heals to
use, whether to DivArb, whether to DA to lose aggro or just stand there and
take some hits until the chanter can mez, etc.

Years of experience as a cleric in EverQuest had trained me not to panic
when things go bad but to instead quickly decide upon the best course of
action and then try it.

So, if not for my years in EverQuest, I might this very second be a
slowly-cooling pile of goo on the freeway.

So, take heart true believers. EverQuest is merely training us for the
life-and-death decisions we may yet have to face in our personal lives.

EverQuest saved my life!

-Richard
Monual Lifegiver
Prelate of Rodcet Nife
Lotus Cult
Quellious server

"Richard Lawson" <nouma@msn.com> wrote in message

> Y'know, I've seen so many bogus "EQ killed my child!" kind of claims, I
> thought I'd put in an equally silly claim about how EverQuest saved my
> life Friday night.

Except that I don't think it's all that silly, I think you're spot on. Your
reflexes are well-trained for both kinds of exigencies and these instincts
and reflexes blend together in ways that aren't easy to isolate. Your
survivability in both arenas is a result of that happy mixture.

How much you wanna bet we never see this story in the press?

--
Redbeard
<Veritas>

Descendant of the Elder Winterfury Thunderwolf
<Resolution, Retired>
Barbarian Prophet of The Tribunal
Retired Citizen of Firiona Vie

"Sean Kennedy" wrote:
> Is the cause and effect going the right way here?
> Maybe you're good at games for the same reason you
> can do this type of thing in RL - the ability to
> make quick decisions under bad conditions
> may simply be a natural talent.

Exactly. Which is why those claims that EQ caused the divorces/job
loss/death of all those other people are equally arbitrary. In the end,
it's something in the person itself that led to the outcome, not the game.

All I'm trying to point out is that if people can claim that EQ caused them
to lose their jobs, than I can just as well claim that EQ saved my life
Friday. In the end, both claims don't hold up too well under scrutiny.

--
-Richard

Monual Lifegiver
Prelate of Rodcet Nife
Lotus Cult
Quellious server

You know, I have no interest in the new "Blogging" thing the kids
seem to be into today. But if you had one, Richard, I do believe I'd
make an exception. I'm not trying to imply that this was a mundane
story in any regards, but I have a feeling that you could write a
compelling tale about your most recent trip to the local Byerly's to
pick up some sour cream.

--
Annie

AGE EverQuest Live FAQ:
http://www.icynic.com/~don/EQ/age.faq.htm

Mirrored at:
http://webpages.charter.net/lenny13/age.faq.htm

http://www.derfy.net/agefaq.html

I think your post makes complete sense. I'm a firm believer that
videogames can and do make us better drivers. I think its fairly
simple. When you drive a vehicle you observe the world through windows,
not unlike the screens that we all view our virtual worlds on. You
control your movement through this world via controls - gas pedal,
steering wheel, etc. I believe that maybe our minds are a little more
in tune to this type of control and environment due to the videogames
we play. I have had quite a few things happen in my car that can't be
explained away without taking into account the many years I've spent
playing videogames. Lets here it for hand eye cordination!

"Sean Kennedy" <x@y.z> wrote in message

> Is the cause and effect going the right way here? Maybe you're
> good at games for the same reason you can do this type of thing
> in RL - the ability to make quick decisions under bad conditions
> may simply be a natural talent.

I never used to strafe in RL :p

"Lief" <ask.me.for@it.com> wrote in news:FaXId.268$rv5.120
@newsfe2-win.ntli.net:

> "Sean Kennedy" <x@y.z> wrote in message
>
>> Is the cause and effect going the right way here? Maybe you're
>> good at games for the same reason you can do this type of thing
>> in RL - the ability to make quick decisions under bad
conditions
>> may simply be a natural talent.
>
> I never used to strafe in RL :p

I did - for 25 years I moved laterally and backwards nearly as
well as I did forward -- Then I ruptured my ACL and tore my
meniscus in one brutal mishap :(

--
Arch Convoker Mairelon Snapbang
Feral Lord Bosra Snowclaw

Mairelon, 15th Paladin
Silverhand

My WoW Mods: http://therealorang.com
Yes, FlexBar 1.24 is out :)

> All I'm trying to point out is that if people can claim that EQ caused
> them to lose their jobs, than I can just as well claim that EQ saved my
> life Friday. In the end, both claims don't hold up too well under
> scrutiny.

I understand that there's a bit of tongue-in-cheek here, but I think you
guys may be writing this off too easily. Sure, it's the person at the core
of the experience that makes the difference, but that person gets better at
certain activities by practicing those activities, whether in RL or in
games. Like the surgeons alluded to above who play video games and make
fewer mistakes, the correlation is there. Who cares which is cause and which
is effect? All else being equal, I'll take the surgeon who plays and the
driver who EQ's!

--
Bob Perez

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they
quit playing."
- Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

In article <10v7sjl3pbqfk73@news.supernews.com>,
myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE says...

> "Richard Lawson" <nouma@msn.com> wrote in message
>
> > Y'know, I've seen so many bogus "EQ killed my child!" kind of claims, I
> > thought I'd put in an equally silly claim about how EverQuest saved my
> > life Friday night.
>
> Except that I don't think it's all that silly, I think you're spot on. Your
> reflexes are well-trained for both kinds of exigencies and these instincts
> and reflexes blend together in ways that aren't easy to isolate. Your
> survivability in both arenas is a result of that happy mixture.
>
> How much you wanna bet we never see this story in the press?

Actually, videogames have made the press for improving reflexes and hand
eye coordination on numerous occasions.

Richard Lawson wrote:
<snip>
> EverQuest saved my life!

I get the impression you say this jokingly, but I suspect there's more truth
in what you say about how your reactions were aided by the game than you may
realize yourself.

Well done. :)

--
chainbreaker

If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.

"Arcane Hayter" <arcane.hayter@gmail.com> wrote in

> I think your post makes complete sense. I'm a firm believer that
> videogames can and do make us better drivers. I think its fairly
> simple. When you drive a vehicle you observe the world through windows,
> not unlike the screens that we all view our virtual worlds on. You
> control your movement through this world via controls - gas pedal,
> steering wheel, etc. I believe that maybe our minds are a little more
> in tune to this type of control and environment due to the videogames
> we play. I have had quite a few things happen in my car that can't be
> explained away without taking into account the many years I've spent
> playing videogames. Lets here it for hand eye cordination!

Just so long as you don't start taking too many of those video game moves
to RL...

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 21 Dwarven Mystic, 20 Sage
Aviv, 9 Gnome Fighter, 11 Craftsman

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:48:49 GMT, bizbee <tuberoo@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 17:40:28 -0800 in
><gdk8v0tb6q3v2d7uklfb8tuun14v05mhj9@4ax.com>, "Batchild (Sue M.)"
><batchild1@cox.net> graced the world with this thought:

[snip]

>>Well, they say that surgeons who play video games are supposed to make
>>fewer errors so maybe there's some truth in gamers being able to make
>>snap decisions better?
>>
>I didn't want to bring that one up because I couldn't remember where
>I'd read it, but yes, I do recall seeing some info on that study too.
>Some branches of the military and police practice with video games,
>too.

I found the Associated Press article on MSNBC's site at:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4685909/

http://members.cox.net/batchild1
http://members.cox.net/scorseseinfo

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:02:55 -0800 in
<bkdbv0h8du1ffilro01gich659dqs58b6o@4ax.com>, "Batchild (Sue M.)"
<batchild1@cox.net> graced the world with this thought:

>On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:48:49 GMT, bizbee <tuberoo@earthlink.net>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 17:40:28 -0800 in
>><gdk8v0tb6q3v2d7uklfb8tuun14v05mhj9@4ax.com>, "Batchild (Sue M.)"
>><batchild1@cox.net> graced the world with this thought:
>>
>[snip]
>

>>>Well, they say that surgeons who play video games are supposed to make
>>>fewer errors so maybe there's some truth in gamers being able to make
>>>snap decisions better?
>>>
>>I didn't want to bring that one up because I couldn't remember where
>>I'd read it, but yes, I do recall seeing some info on that study too.
>>Some branches of the military and police practice with video games,
>>too.
>
>I found the Associated Press article on MSNBC's site at:
>
>http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4685909/
>

>http://members.cox.net/batchild1
>http://members.cox.net/scorseseinfo

The only person I know that finds more stuff than you is Tim May. I'm
not sure whether that's good or bad, you may want to check him out for
laughs.

highlander

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001

"Richard Lawson" <nouma@msn.com> wrote in message
> Y'know, I've seen so many bogus "EQ killed my child!" kind of claims, I
> thought I'd put in an equally silly claim about how EverQuest saved my
> life Friday night.

2 things comes to mind
first - What would have happed if you played warrior ? would you have tank
him or would you have gon for the named first ?
second - what about the loot ?

Highlander

Sean Kennedy <x@y.z> wrote:

>Maybe you're
>good at games for the same reason you can do this type of thing
>in RL - the ability to make quick decisions under bad conditions
>may simply be a natural talent.

Hey, now, c'mon.
We all know what Bizbee's real natural talents are :)

--
Exodus 22:18 can kiss my pagan ass
www.lokari.net

"Highlander" <highlander_dk@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Richard Lawson" <nouma@msn.com> wrote in message
> > Y'know, I've seen so many bogus "EQ killed my child!" kind of claims, I
> > thought I'd put in an equally silly claim about how EverQuest saved my
> > life Friday night.
> >
> 2 things comes to mind
> first - What would have happed if you played warrior ? would you have tank
> him or would you have gon for the named first ?
> second - what about the loot ?

lol

Quoth Batchild (Sue M.):

> Well, they say that surgeons who play video games are supposed to make
> fewer errors so maybe there's some truth in gamers being able to make
> snap decisions better?

They don't make fewer errors, they just quicksave more often.

--
There are two rules for success in life:
1) Don't tell others everything you know.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

In article <20050125234357689+0000@usenet.force9.net>,
david@alcaudon.com says...
> Quoth Batchild (Sue M.):
>
> > Well, they say that surgeons who play video games are supposed to make
> > fewer errors so maybe there's some truth in gamers being able to make
> > snap decisions better?
>
> They don't make fewer errors, they just quicksave more often.

Or possibly just spend less time at work... :)

Between video games and golf there isn't much time left to make mistakes
in the OR. :p

Quoth Lief:

> "Sean Kennedy" <x@y.z> wrote in message
>
>> Is the cause and effect going the right way here? Maybe you're
>> good at games for the same reason you can do this type of thing
>> in RL - the ability to make quick decisions under bad conditions
>> may simply be a natural talent.
>
> I never used to strafe in RL :p

I cannot blame EQ for me strafing around corners in RL. That actually
goes back to Quake. :p

--
The post above may contain opinions.

Quoth Richard Lawson:

> So, if not for my years in EverQuest, I might this very second be a
> slowly-cooling pile of goo on the freeway.

Whew, glad you aren't. :)

> Exactly. Which is why those claims that EQ caused the divorces/job
> loss/death of all those other people are equally arbitrary. In the
> end, it's something in the person itself that led to the outcome, not
> the game.
>
> All I'm trying to point out is that if people can claim that EQ caused
> them to lose their jobs, than I can just as well claim that EQ saved
> my life Friday. In the end, both claims don't hold up too well under
> scrutiny.

I cannot claim that EQ has saved my life, but... I won't bore you with
the details, but EQ addiction played a considerable part on me having to
leave the USA -- and consequently, also on me chasing and eventually
getting the dream job that I always had wanted, but was a little bit too
comfortably settled down to pursue.

I'd also say that EQ has possibly made me a bit more assertive in real
life, particularly in dealing with strangers. I count myself incredibly
lucky in the fact that I've had to deal with a lot more idiots in EQ
than I have in real life, and for those few occasions, the practice has
been invaluable.

On the whole, I'd say EQ has had a pretty big effect on my life,
although perhaps not entirely disproportionate to the amount of hours
I've sunk into it. :)

--
"Actually, the road to Hell is paved with human skulls.
You can feel their teeth chittering through