Presario 7994; Parts/Advice Wanted

I am looking for a couple of the blank-off plates for the drive bays and
the door for the front.
Also, The mouse is not being detected. I am using an USB mouse but will
be using the computer primarily in DOS mode and would like to fix it.
I suspect the connector on the motherboard. The computer detects the
port but not the mouse. The mouse works fine on another computer.
Has anyone run into this problem before?
I am going to try re soldering the connector in case it has come loose,
but the connector appears to be worn and may be no good.
Can anyone suggest a source for the female plug?
TIA
Chuck
13 answers Last reply
More about presario 7994 parts advice wanted

    The spare part numbers are:
    Door 158240-001
    5.25 blank 102371-001
    3.5 blank 102368-001
    You can try entering the part numbers at spare parts at:
    http://vztxesppro3.cce.hp.com/hpparts/Default.asp?mscssid=035V7F6T9K0U9JCT3BQC64L4GC57AGB1

    As for the mouse, are you trying to use a USB mouse in DOS?

    HH

    "ka6uup" <ka6uup@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    > I am looking for a couple of the blank-off plates for the drive bays and
    > the door for the front.
    > Also, The mouse is not being detected. I am using an USB mouse but will
    > be using the computer primarily in DOS mode and would like to fix it.
    > I suspect the connector on the motherboard. The computer detects the
    > port but not the mouse. The mouse works fine on another computer.
    > Has anyone run into this problem before?
    > I am going to try re soldering the connector in case it has come loose,
    > but the connector appears to be worn and may be no good.
    > Can anyone suggest a source for the female plug?
    > TIA
    > Chuck

    No,
    I have had no luck getting it to work in DOS. I am using the USB mouse
    temporarily till I can figure out why it won't recognize the PS2 mouse.
    If you know how to get the USB mouse to work under DOS, PLEASE let me
    know. :-}
    Thanks for the info on the door.
    Chuck

    HH wrote:

    > The spare part numbers are:
    > Door 158240-001
    > 5.25 blank 102371-001
    > 3.5 blank 102368-001
    > You can try entering the part numbers at spare parts at:
    > http://vztxesppro3.cce.hp.com/hpparts/Default.asp?mscssid=035V7F6T9K0U9JCT3BQC64L4GC57AGB1
    >
    > As for the mouse, are you trying to use a USB mouse in DOS?
    >
    > HH
    >
    > "ka6uup" <ka6uup@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>I am looking for a couple of the blank-off plates for the drive bays and
    >>the door for the front.
    >>Also, The mouse is not being detected. I am using an USB mouse but will
    >>be using the computer primarily in DOS mode and would like to fix it.
    >>I suspect the connector on the motherboard. The computer detects the
    >>port but not the mouse. The mouse works fine on another computer.
    >>Has anyone run into this problem before?
    >>I am going to try re soldering the connector in case it has come loose,
    >>but the connector appears to be worn and may be no good.
    >>Can anyone suggest a source for the female plug?
    >>TIA
    >>Chuck

    well< I checked out HP and neither part is available.
    Thanks anyway
    Chuck

    HH wrote:

    > The spare part numbers are:
    > Door 158240-001
    > 5.25 blank 102371-001
    > 3.5 blank 102368-001
    > You can try entering the part numbers at spare parts at:
    > http://vztxesppro3.cce.hp.com/hpparts/Default.asp?mscssid=035V7F6T9K0U9JCT3BQC64L4GC57AGB1
    >
    > As for the mouse, are you trying to use a USB mouse in DOS?
    >
    > HH
    >
    > "ka6uup" <ka6uup@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>I am looking for a couple of the blank-off plates for the drive bays and
    >>the door for the front.
    >>Also, The mouse is not being detected. I am using an USB mouse but will
    >>be using the computer primarily in DOS mode and would like to fix it.
    >>I suspect the connector on the motherboard. The computer detects the
    >>port but not the mouse. The mouse works fine on another computer.
    >>Has anyone run into this problem before?
    >>I am going to try re soldering the connector in case it has come loose,
    >>but the connector appears to be worn and may be no good.
    >>Can anyone suggest a source for the female plug?
    >>TIA
    >>Chuck

    Sorry, but I know of no way a USB mouse will work in DOS since DOS has no
    native support for USB. Possibly a USB to PS2 adapter??? Why not just use a
    PS2 mouse?

    > No,
    > I have had no luck getting it to work in DOS. I am using the USB mouse
    > temporarily till I can figure out why it won't recognize the PS2 mouse.
    > If you know how to get the USB mouse to work under DOS, PLEASE let me
    > know. :-}
    > Thanks for the info on the door.
    > Chuck
    >
    > HH wrote:
    >
    > > The spare part numbers are:
    > > Door 158240-001
    > > 5.25 blank 102371-001
    > > 3.5 blank 102368-001
    > > You can try entering the part numbers at spare parts at:

    http://vztxesppro3.cce.hp.com/hpparts/Default.asp?mscssid=035V7F6T9K0U9JCT3BQC64L4GC57AGB1

    > > As for the mouse, are you trying to use a USB mouse in DOS?
    > >
    > > HH
    > >
    > > "ka6uup" <ka6uup@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>I am looking for a couple of the blank-off plates for the drive bays and
    > >>the door for the front.
    > >>Also, The mouse is not being detected. I am using an USB mouse but will
    > >>be using the computer primarily in DOS mode and would like to fix it.
    > >>I suspect the connector on the motherboard. The computer detects the
    > >>port but not the mouse. The mouse works fine on another computer.
    > >>Has anyone run into this problem before?
    > >>I am going to try re soldering the connector in case it has come loose,
    > >>but the connector appears to be worn and may be no good.
    > >>Can anyone suggest a source for the female plug?
    > >>TIA
    > >>Chuck

    hi,
    have you tried a serial mouse ?
    hope this helps ,
    terry

    ==============
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Chuck,
    check out http://www.logitech.com/pub/techsupport/mouse/mouse.txt
    good luck ,
    terry

    ==============
  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Some motherboards with a more generic BIOS than Compaq's have legacy USB
    support, with the right low-level BIOS mapping for a USB keyboard to work in
    DOS. As to whether or not a USB mouse will work in DOS with legacy USB support
    enabled, I don't know. I have not had the time to experiment. I sort of doubt
    it, unless Logitech or maybe some 3rd party driver developer has written a mouse
    driver that works with a USB mouse. There are some other USB DOS drivers
    lurking around... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 06:19:37 -0400, "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Sorry, but I know of no way a USB mouse will work in DOS since DOS has no
    >native support for USB. Possibly a USB to PS2 adapter??? Why not just use a
    >PS2 mouse?
    >HH
    >
    >"ka6uup" <ka6uup@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    >> No,
    >> I have had no luck getting it to work in DOS. I am using the USB mouse
    >> temporarily till I can figure out why it won't recognize the PS2 mouse.
    >> If you know how to get the USB mouse to work under DOS, PLEASE let me
    >> know. :-}
    >> Thanks for the info on the door.
    >> Chuck
    >>
    >> HH wrote:
    >>
    >> > The spare part numbers are:
    >> > Door 158240-001
    >> > 5.25 blank 102371-001
    >> > 3.5 blank 102368-001
    >> > You can try entering the part numbers at spare parts at:
    >> >
    >http://vztxesppro3.cce.hp.com/hpparts/Default.asp?mscssid=035V7F6T9K0U9JCT3BQC64L4GC57AGB1
    >> >
    >> > As for the mouse, are you trying to use a USB mouse in DOS?
    >> >
    >> > HH
    >> >
    >> > "ka6uup" <ka6uup@pacbell.net> wrote in message

  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    In DOS, USB keyboard, yes, mouse no. Just spend $10 on a PS/2 mouse.
    HH

    > Some motherboards with a more generic BIOS than Compaq's have legacy USB
    > support, with the right low-level BIOS mapping for a USB keyboard to work
    in
    > DOS. As to whether or not a USB mouse will work in DOS with legacy USB
    support
    > enabled, I don't know. I have not had the time to experiment. I sort of
    doubt
    > it, unless Logitech or maybe some 3rd party driver developer has written a
    mouse
    > driver that works with a USB mouse. There are some other USB DOS drivers
    > lurking around... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 06:19:37 -0400, "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Sorry, but I know of no way a USB mouse will work in DOS since DOS has no
    > >native support for USB. Possibly a USB to PS2 adapter??? Why not just use
    > >PS2 mouse?
    > >HH
    > >
    > >"ka6uup" <ka6uup@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    > >> No,
    > >> I have had no luck getting it to work in DOS. I am using the USB mouse
    > >> temporarily till I can figure out why it won't recognize the PS2 mouse.
    > >> If you know how to get the USB mouse to work under DOS, PLEASE let me
    > >> know. :-}
    > >> Thanks for the info on the door.
    > >> Chuck

    >http://vztxesppro3.cce.hp.com/hpparts/Default.asp?mscssid=035V7F6T9K0U9JCT3
    BQC64L4GC57AGB1

  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    The PS/ mouse doesn't work.
    See previous emails.
    There is something wrong with the connector
    Chuck
    HH wrote:
    > In DOS, USB keyboard, yes, mouse no. Just spend $10 on a PS/2 mouse.
    > HH
    >
    > <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    >
    >>Some motherboards with a more generic BIOS than Compaq's have legacy USB
    >>support, with the right low-level BIOS mapping for a USB keyboard to work
    >
    > in
    >
    >>DOS. As to whether or not a USB mouse will work in DOS with legacy USB
    >
    > support
    >
    >>enabled, I don't know. I have not had the time to experiment. I sort of
    >
    > doubt
    >
    >>it, unless Logitech or maybe some 3rd party driver developer has written a
    >
    > mouse
    >
    >>driver that works with a USB mouse. There are some other USB DOS drivers
    >>lurking around... Ben Myers
    >>
    >>On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 06:19:37 -0400, "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Sorry, but I know of no way a USB mouse will work in DOS since DOS has no
    >>>native support for USB. Possibly a USB to PS2 adapter??? Why not just use

    >>>PS2 mouse?
    >>>HH
    >>>
    >>>"ka6uup" <ka6uup@pacbell.net> wrote in message

    >>http://vztxesppro3.cce.hp.com/hpparts/Default.asp?mscssid=035V7F6T9K0U9JCT3
    >
    > BQC64L4GC57AGB1

    > and

    > will

    > loose,

  10. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Thanks, I haven't tried a serial mouse. But,I do have one and will try it
    Chuck

    terry_b17 wrote:

    > hi,
    > have you tried a serial mouse ?
    > hope this helps ,
    > terry
    >
    > ==============
    > Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Well, I turned up this with a Google search:

    "I discovered that if you put the "hidusb.sys" file on your boot floppy and load
    it at the A: prompt in DOS, the USB mouse will then work in [DOS]. I figured
    this out when I tried to use a USB mouse in WIN98SE with [DOS-level] Drive Image
    and discovered that the PS2 mouse driver wouldn't work.

    Hidusb.sys is actually a Microsoft USB driver originally from Win98 but included
    in later Windows versions, too: Just search your system for the file, and it
    probably will be there."

    Here is the URL for complete discussion:

    http://www.freedos.org/freedos/news/technote/179.html

    Also see this URL:

    http://www.stefan2000.com/darkehorse/PC/DOS/Drivers/USB/

    And:

    http://www.tssc.de/index.htm#http://www.tssc.de/products/enablers/usbenab/main.htm

    And:

    http://fd-doc.sourceforge.net/faq/cgi-bin/viewfaq.cgi?faq=Installing_FreeDOS/190

    And:

    http://www.freedos.org/

    .... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 13:59:00 -0400, "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >In DOS, USB keyboard, yes, mouse no. Just spend $10 on a PS/2 mouse.
    >HH

    >> Some motherboards with a more generic BIOS than Compaq's have legacy USB
    >> support, with the right low-level BIOS mapping for a USB keyboard to work
    >in
    >> DOS. As to whether or not a USB mouse will work in DOS with legacy USB
    >support
    >> enabled, I don't know. I have not had the time to experiment. I sort of
    >doubt
    >> it, unless Logitech or maybe some 3rd party driver developer has written a
    >mouse
    >> driver that works with a USB mouse. There are some other USB DOS drivers
    >> lurking around... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 06:19:37 -0400, "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Sorry, but I know of no way a USB mouse will work in DOS since DOS has no
    >> >native support for USB. Possibly a USB to PS2 adapter??? Why not just use
    >> >PS2 mouse?
    >> >HH
    >> >
    >> >"ka6uup" <ka6uup@pacbell.net> wrote in message

    >>http://vztxesppro3.cce.hp.com/hpparts/Default.asp?mscssid=035V7F6T9K0U9JCT3
    >BQC64L4GC57AGB1

    >and
    >will
    >loose,

  12. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Ben,
    Thanks Much.
    Chuck

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > Well, I turned up this with a Google search:
    >
    > "I discovered that if you put the "hidusb.sys" file on your boot floppy and load
    > it at the A: prompt in DOS, the USB mouse will then work in [DOS]. I figured
    > this out when I tried to use a USB mouse in WIN98SE with [DOS-level] Drive Image
    > and discovered that the PS2 mouse driver wouldn't work.
    >
    > Hidusb.sys is actually a Microsoft USB driver originally from Win98 but included
    > in later Windows versions, too: Just search your system for the file, and it
    > probably will be there."
    >
    > Here is the URL for complete discussion:
    >
    > http://www.freedos.org/freedos/news/technote/179.html
    >
    > Also see this URL:
    >
    > http://www.stefan2000.com/darkehorse/PC/DOS/Drivers/USB/
    >
    > And:
    >
    > http://www.tssc.de/index.htm#http://www.tssc.de/products/enablers/usbenab/main.htm
    >
    > And:
    >
    > http://fd-doc.sourceforge.net/faq/cgi-bin/viewfaq.cgi?faq=Installing_FreeDOS/190
    >
    > And:
    >
    > http://www.freedos.org/
    >
    > ... Ben Myers
    >

    > On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 13:59:00 -0400, "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>In DOS, USB keyboard, yes, mouse no. Just spend $10 on a PS/2 mouse.
    >>HH
    >>
    >><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Some motherboards with a more generic BIOS than Compaq's have legacy USB
    >>>support, with the right low-level BIOS mapping for a USB keyboard to work
    >>
    >>in
    >>
    >>>DOS. As to whether or not a USB mouse will work in DOS with legacy USB
    >>
    >>support
    >>
    >>>enabled, I don't know. I have not had the time to experiment. I sort of
    >>
    >>doubt
    >>
    >>>it, unless Logitech or maybe some 3rd party driver developer has written a
    >>
    >>mouse
    >>
    >>>driver that works with a USB mouse. There are some other USB DOS drivers
    >>>lurking around... Ben Myers

    >>>http://vztxesppro3.cce.hp.com/hpparts/Default.asp?mscssid=035V7F6T9K0U9JCT3
    >>
    >>BQC64L4GC57AGB1

    >>and

    >>will

    >>loose,

  13. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    It likely also could load via the config.sys file, i.e., by way of a line
    such as:
    DEVICE=HIDUSB.SYS
    or
    DEVICEHIGH=HIDUSB.SYS
    the latter if HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.EXE load before the USB driver.
    Been a long time since I thought about DOS stuff ;8-)
    HH

Compaq Mice Computer Computers