Another Registry question

Several weeks ago a window popped up on the screen when I booted the
computer. It informed me that information for the registry had been
recovered using a log or a file.
I presume something happened in the registry. What or how I do not
know as I don't fool around in there.
Is there anything I need to do or check? How can I be rid of the
little window from Windows with the information?
Thanks for your help.
Linda S

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:ARbLe.93038$5N3.50634@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net,
Linda S <lindasacredheart57santoro@worldnet.att.net> had this to say:

> Several weeks ago a window popped up on the screen when I booted the
> computer. It informed me that information for the registry had been
> recovered using a log or a file.
> I presume something happened in the registry. What or how I do not
> know as I don't fool around in there.
> Is there anything I need to do or check? How can I be rid of the
> little window from Windows with the information?
> Thanks for your help.
> Linda S

Nope. You should be all set. If it keeps happening then post back with more
questions and a bit more detail but that's just Windows doing it's job.

Galen
--

"Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
its solution is its own reward."

Sherlock Holmes

Galen wrote:
> In news:ARbLe.93038$5N3.50634@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net,
> Linda S <lindasacredheart57santoro@worldnet.att.net> had this to say:

>>Several weeks ago a window popped up on the screen when I booted the
>>computer. It informed me that information for the registry had been
>>recovered using a log or a file.
>> I presume something happened in the registry. What or how I do not
>>know as I don't fool around in there.
>> Is there anything I need to do or check? How can I be rid of the
>>little window from Windows with the information?
>>Thanks for your help.
>>Linda S
>

> Nope. You should be all set. If it keeps happening then post back with more
> questions and a bit more detail but that's just Windows doing it's job.
>
> Galen
Hi,
Thanks for the reassurance.
Is there anyway to get rid of the little information window that
appears every time we turn on the computer?
Linda S

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:09:35 GMT, Linda S
>Galen wrote:
>> Linda S <lindasacredheart57santoro@worldnet.att.net> had this to say:

>>>Several weeks ago a window popped up on the screen when I booted the
>>>computer. It informed me that information for the registry had been
>>>recovered using a log or a file.

>> You should be all set. If it keeps happening then post back with more
>> questions and a bit more detail but that's just Windows doing it's job.

> Thanks for the reassurance.
> Is there anyway to get rid of the little information window that
>appears every time we turn on the computer?

That's the trouble with reassurance.

The registry is your PC installation's nads, and the message you are
seeing is telling you that it got kicked really hard there. Wouldn't
you want to know if that was happening to you?

It's not normal for the registry to get corrupted. Even though it's
in constant use (and thus very exposed to "things going wrong"), it's
well protected by the system. For example, no process is allowed to
open the registry files as raw files, and do anything to them.

So if your registry is getting damaged "every time we turn on the
computer", that's a message you need to hear, not ignore.

As Galen says: "If it keeps happening then post back with more
questions and a bit more detail" - seconded!

On "that's just Windows doing it's job"; there are many jobs Windows
does automatically on your behalf, that maybe it shouldn't.

The equivalent of...

"Hey! Who's that dude walking off with my jacket!!"

' Oh, that guy? He often climbs through the window and takes your
stuff, I just thought that was normal - so when he asked for the keys
to the wardrobe, I helped him with that, as well as your credit card
details that he said he'd forgotten. Did I do something wrong? '

Some jobs should be done by a responsible adult :)

"If I'd known it was harmless, I'd have
killed it myself" (PKD)

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:09:35 GMT, Linda S
>
>>Galen wrote:
>>
>>>Linda S <lindasacredheart57santoro@worldnet.att.net> had this to say:

>>>You should be all set. If it keeps happening then post back with more
>>>questions and a bit more detail but that's just Windows doing it's job.
>

>> Thanks for the reassurance.
>> Is there anyway to get rid of the little information window that
>>appears every time we turn on the computer?
>

> That's the trouble with reassurance.
>
> The registry is your PC installation's nads, and the message you are
> seeing is telling you that it got kicked really hard there. Wouldn't
> you want to know if that was happening to you?
>
> It's not normal for the registry to get corrupted. Even though it's
> in constant use (and thus very exposed to "things going wrong"), it's
> well protected by the system. For example, no process is allowed to
> open the registry files as raw files, and do anything to them.
>
> So if your registry is getting damaged "every time we turn on the
> computer", that's a message you need to hear, not ignore.
>
> As Galen says: "If it keeps happening then post back with more
> questions and a bit more detail" - seconded!
>
> On "that's just Windows doing it's job"; there are many jobs Windows
> does automatically on your behalf, that maybe it shouldn't.
>
> The equivalent of...
>
> "Hey! Who's that dude walking off with my jacket!!"
>
> ' Oh, that guy? He often climbs through the window and takes your
> stuff, I just thought that was normal - so when he asked for the keys
> to the wardrobe, I helped him with that, as well as your credit card
> details that he said he'd forgotten. Did I do something wrong? '
>
> Some jobs should be done by a responsible adult :)
>

>>-------------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
>
> "If I'd known it was harmless, I'd have
> killed it myself" (PKD)
>
>>-------------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Thanks for the heads up.]
I do not have any more details. I am not computer literate enough to
know what to look for or to run to fix a problem.
This computer, an e-machine T3065, came with Windows XP Home
installed. Large hard drive, etc. The tech that helped set it up at home
for us, took my old hard drive and installed it, too, rather than
transfer all the information or whatever is done at that stage. I had
not backed up my info to disks so he did it this way.
What else would you need to know or can you point me to some info that
I can read and, perhaps, learn how to fix this problem.
Thanks again,
Linda S

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 16:28:37 GMT, Linda S

?

>>> Have been kicked off the web several times for some reason that I
>>> could never figure out. I had been working right along, went to a
>>> new web page and whammo-off the internet.

Is this on dial-up? Sounds strange.

Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 16:28:37 GMT, Linda S
>
>>cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) wrote:
>>
>>>Linda S

>>>Folks' expectations vary, so I have to confirm; no errors,
>>>spontaneous reboots, or lock-ups?
>
> No errors, spontaneous booting off the internet but no spontaneous
reboots. No lockups, either.
> ?

> Is this on dial-up? Sounds strange.

Cox cable.