No Surface Test in Norton Disk Doctor on XP?

I am a longtime user of Norton Disk Doctor. Does anyone know why the
option to run a surface test does not exist in (my version of) NDD?
I'm using Norton Utilities 6.03.36 (SystemWorks 2002).
3 answers Last reply
More about surface test norton disk doctor

    ray_woodcock wrote:
    > I am a longtime user of Norton Disk Doctor. Does anyone know why the
    > option to run a surface test does not exist in (my version of) NDD?
    > I'm using Norton Utilities 6.03.36 (SystemWorks 2002).

    Those who made the product (www.symantec.com) may be able to shed some light
    on this for you.

    To help you out, here is a page that mentions how to command line run the
    tool (with Surface Scan)..
    However, my bet is that it would fail miserably in Windows XP - being and
    old version and Windows XP protecting the file system/boot records as it
    does. But I could be wrong and it might be "just new enough".

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sunset-c2002kb.nsf/9b60813077fffd2385256ee60055ac57/b7092a924e2875ac85256edf00520fe6?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam
    ( Shorter Link: http://snipurl.com/gxda )

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    > However, my bet is that it would fail miserably in Windows XP

    Yep! But thanks for trying.

    Norton 2002 should have that option, but it may be hidden. Try opening the
    mian disk doctor screen. Then click options. This is over on the right
    side in System Works 2003. Hopefully it it nearby in version 2002. One of
    the options is surface test. However, I am not sure whether this is enough
    to trigger the option. Additionally you may need to check the box to "fix"
    errors on the previous screen.

    Further, all repair options will fail to work while XP is running. The best
    that Norton can do for you is to set a flag to do the test during a reboot.

    Alternatively, run the XP routine "CHKDSK" with the /F or /R options. /F is
    "fix", /R is fix and surface scan free space. This can be run from a
    right-click, properties, tools on a drive letter, or from a command prompt.
    If from a command prompt the frmat would be CHKDSK C: /R.

    <ray_woodcock@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I am a longtime user of Norton Disk Doctor. Does anyone know why the
    > option to run a surface test does not exist in (my version of) NDD?
    > I'm using Norton Utilities 6.03.36 (SystemWorks 2002).

Norton Surface Windows XP