Network Guru Needed

Stymied

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2003
Requesting some help please. This is a great site, and I have been lurking here for years. I've learned a lot from the knowledgeable banter in these forums, resulting in building a new rig some months ago from the ground up. I'm very pleased and have been chugging along until I thought I would add a "Leadtek Winfast TV2000 XP Deluxe" pci card. (Thought it would be nice to catch some TV or FM radio from my computer.)

The problem is...I lose my internet connection if I install and load up the "Leadtek" card. I'm actually showing a new IP address..Without the card install, I'm blazing the internet with my cable modem...Install the card with divers and I get great TV, but no internet connection. I'm stumped. I shot out emails to Leadtek but no answer..(figures). I've searched around and have not found this issue or particular problem with this card.

I've tried different slots, in case of an IRQ conflict but no joy. I'm think'n maybe because I have "Comcast" as my home TV cable and home computer cable service provider that this is the problem. They are cabled in separately, but I've tried both a direct TV hookup and then a splitter on my computer modem line and found they both have the TV picture bandwidth. Looking for a work around for my Local Network Connection to keep it from being changed.

Hopefully one of you "Tom's gurus" can help this knuckle head out with a simple fix.

My cable hookup is "Comcast" thru a Surfboard cable modem to my NIC (ADMtek AN983 10/100 PCI Adapter). Advertised speeds are 1500/250 currently running at 1880/246.

My puter specs are:
P4 2.4b, Costa Rica, C1
Sapphire ATI Radeon 9500NP (Omega's 3.7)
768mb Kingston 2700, 2-2-2-5
WD-80GB Special Edition
Intel D845GEBV2
Lian-LI PC-60USB, Enermax PSU
WinXP Pro SP1, All ~Air~ Cooled

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous!

grafixmonkey

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2004
Cable modem companies frequently check the MAC address of the network card on your computer, and use that to determine if you have paid for access to their network or not. I'd bet if you went into your new network card's options and gave it a manual MAC address matching the one on the other card, you would be connected right away.

You can see the card's MAC address by double clicking the connection in the system tray or in Network Connections, going to the Support tab, and pushing Details. You can change it by entering a number into the field "Network Address" when you go into the connection properties, and push "Configure..." under the field that shows the network card that connection uses.

grafixmonkey

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2004
Oops, misread that...

Yeah I'd also guess the cable signal is having a problem getting to your cable modem with the splitter installed (I assume you needed a splitter to hook up your TV card to the cable line). How did you hook up the splitter to get the signal to both your TV card and cable modem? Cable lengths and splitters can sometimes play havoc with coax TV signals for no obvious reason. Like, if you have ghosting on your TV, sometimes what they do to fix that is do some calculations and insert a short length of cable somewhere in the line.

Can you try switching the cables that go to your card and to your modem, or removing the splitter? We have lots of TVs hooked up in my house (three I think) and some very long cable lengths - the cable to the cable modem is 200 feet I think, from where it splits off one of the other lines. We use no boosters that I'm aware of. Maybe if your cables are very short, or the splitter is causing reflection in the line, that could be causing the problem.