Windows Explorer error involving gtcodec.dll

I just uninstalled all the video codecs I had installed on my pc, and then
installed a new set of codecs. The issue I'm now having is that whenever I
open a folder and click on a video file, I get an error message with the
following signature:
AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: gtcodec.dll
ModVer: 1.10.0.0 Offset: 00002124
It seems to me like the issue occurs when Explorer tries to preview the file
in the "Details" tab, but I'd like to be able to fix the problem permanently
instead of patching it by no longer displaying the details tab.

Does anyone know how to help??
3 answers Last reply
More about windows explorer error involving gtcodec

    With that information,go to TechNet at microsoft.com,trouble shooting and
    support,then scroll to events and error message center.Enter a few details
    and
    the on-line utility should give some answers.

    "spiffylike" wrote:

    > I just uninstalled all the video codecs I had installed on my pc, and then
    > installed a new set of codecs. The issue I'm now having is that whenever I
    > open a folder and click on a video file, I get an error message with the
    > following signature:
    > AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: gtcodec.dll
    > ModVer: 1.10.0.0 Offset: 00002124
    > It seems to me like the issue occurs when Explorer tries to preview the file
    > in the "Details" tab, but I'd like to be able to fix the problem permanently
    > instead of patching it by no longer displaying the details tab.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to help??

    Thank you for your response. I am currently unable to find the source and id
    required to look for my specific error message since I am away from my PC;
    however I have managed to solve the problem by deleting all entries for
    gtcodec.dll in the registry -- a drastic step perhaps; however after
    searching extensively for gtcodec.dll on microsoft websites, and elsewhere, I
    have determined it is a codec used for brands of digital cameras I have never
    owned, and therefore is not useful to me at all.
  3. Quote:

    Thank you for your response. I am currently unable to find the source and id
    required to look for my specific error message since I am away from my PC;
    however I have managed to solve the problem by deleting all entries for
    gtcodec.dll in the registry -- a drastic step perhaps; however after
    searching extensively for gtcodec.dll on microsoft websites, and elsewhere, I
    have determined it is a codec used for brands of digital cameras I have never
    owned, and therefore is not useful to me at all.

    deleting the gtcodec.dll solved the very same problem for me. I couldnt find the dll in system32, so I did a computer search with the "advanced options" box checked, found & deleted it from there. No more error.

Windows Explorer Windows XP