Sign in with
Your question

Shogun 2 Total War

Last response: in Video Games
February 25, 2012 8:47:35 PM

Hi guys. I'm buying a budget gaming PC in order to try and play on the cheap. I waswondeirng whether I could play Shogun 2 on the following system and if so how well and on what settings. Thanks in advance!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VIBOX-ZETA-KS-AMD-FX-QUAD-COR...

Specs:

Quad Core AMD FX 4100 3.6 GHZ
RADEON HD 6570 1 GB
8 GB 1333MHZ DDR3 RAM
500 GB Harddrive

More about : shogun total war

February 25, 2012 8:57:19 PM

It will run, but not incredibly well. Lowish settings and never 60 fps.

Shogun 2 is incredibly demanding. It's right up there with any of the most recognized system crushers in my opinion, as far as 60 fps being the goal.
February 25, 2012 9:28:17 PM

casualcolors said:
It will run, but not incredibly well. Lowish settings and never 60 fps.

Shogun 2 is incredibly demanding. It's right up there with any of the most recognized system crushers in my opinion, as far as 60 fps being the goal.

Hmmm interesting....

What would your opinion be on Empire and/or Napoleon? (in terms of relative performance)
Related resources
February 25, 2012 9:58:49 PM

I don't own them so I can't say, unfortunately. I'm sure someone here will let you know though.
February 26, 2012 5:58:56 AM

Um.... I have Shogun 2 and my computer specs are almost on par with this computer's( at least in terms of the specs it shows) and it runs quite smoothly on near max settings. Plus it's a RTS game so FPS isn't nearly as important as for FPS games or something. Could be wrong though.

Alright just checked:
I have almost all settings on ultra with no anti-aliasing running on 1920 x 1080. My game almost never lags during battles. I seriously think you'll be able to handle shogun 2 on that computer and easily handle Empire and Napoleon (I would guess). I have phenom II x4 955 , 5770, and 3 gigs (still ddr2) of memory so not what I would call a high end machine haha.
February 26, 2012 2:12:48 PM

leongrado said:
Um.... I have Shogun 2 and my computer specs are almost on par with this computer's( at least in terms of the specs it shows) and it runs quite smoothly on near max settings. Plus it's a RTS game so FPS isn't nearly as important as for FPS games or something. Could be wrong though.

Alright just checked:
I have almost all settings on ultra with no anti-aliasing running on 1920 x 1080. My game almost never lags during battles. I seriously think you'll be able to handle shogun 2 on that computer and easily handle Empire and Napoleon (I would guess). I have phenom II x4 955 , 5770, and 3 gigs (still ddr2) of memory so not what I would call a high end machine haha.

Should provide an actual number on the fps you get, and tell the OP specifically what settings you have set to ultra and which you don't, as I'm guessing it's more varied than no anti-aliasing and the rest set to ultra (since I already know his computer won't run that setting above maybe 40 fps).
February 26, 2012 8:39:45 PM

No it's no anti-aliasing with the rest set on ultra. And why does it matter how many fps it gets? As long as it plays smoothly and you don't notice lag that's all I care about. Plus it's an RTS so FPS isn't nearly as important IMO.
February 26, 2012 9:14:18 PM

leongrado said:
No it's no anti-aliasing with the rest set on ultra. And why does it matter how many fps it gets? As long as it plays smoothly and you don't notice lag that's all I care about. Plus it's an RTS so FPS isn't nearly as important IMO.

Game feels choppy to me the second it goes under 60 personally. Moreso as you scroll the battlefield.
February 26, 2012 10:48:13 PM

I have Shogun 2 and all the other Total war games as well. I can tell you I run eveything on Ultra in cluding AA and high tessellation. All the box check down at the bottom of the settings screen.

On the campain map I get 30 to 40 FPS when in battle I get 80 to 90 FPS. My temps get up to 68c in battle and 54c on campain map. I don't get stutter or laging of anykind. And as you can see my sig it what I use.

@OP your system should run on high and in some cases catch a ultra here or there. Just mess with the settings and if you know how to OC you GPU give it a little boost. All the other Total war games are not as hungry as Shogun 2 is.
February 26, 2012 10:53:52 PM

DM186 said:
I have Shogun 2 and all the other Total war games as well. I can tell you I run eveything on Ultra in cluding AA and high tessellation. All the box check down at the bottom of the settings screen.

On the campain map I get 30 to 40 FPS when in battle I get 80 to 90 FPS. My temps get up to 68c in battle and 54c on campain map. I don't get stutter or laging of anykind. And as you can see my sig it what I use.

@OP your system should run on high and in some cases catch a ultra here or there. Just mess with the settings and if you know how to OC you GPU give it a little boost. All the other Total war games are not as hungry as Shogun 2 is.

How are those dual 550 ti's btw? Never really considered sli'ing that card and haven't seen any benches. Decent for the money? I don't know if you noticed btw, but his CPU is the bulldozer fake quad, and a 6750 gpu :x. I think some of you are severely overestimating this hardware lol.
February 26, 2012 11:07:16 PM

casualcolors said:
How are those dual 550 ti's btw? Never really considered sli'ing that card and haven't seen any benches. Decent for the money?

They aren't too bad. I wouldn't use them on BF3 or Skyrim. But for my type of gaming they work real well. I just wish had gone with something else. They are a weak cand.

That is why they are OC'd and in SLI so it gives me the illusion of a 6870. But so far so good. I am into strategy type gaming a little RPG hense the handle. You know what is funny?

I put together a nice rig and totally blew it with a shottie PSU with two 550's. But for now it will do untill I need to up grade. I warn eveybody not to follow in my footsteps. They won't be able too game with BF3 etc.
February 26, 2012 11:08:08 PM

casualcolors said:
How are those dual 550 ti's btw? Never really considered sli'ing that card and haven't seen any benches. Decent for the money? I don't know if you noticed btw, but his CPU is the bulldozer fake quad, and a 6750 gpu :x. I think some of you are severely overestimating this hardware lol.

Actually it's a 6570 :( 

Sorry about the typo.

BTW I'll probably not play too much higher than a resolution of 1280x800.
February 26, 2012 11:08:47 PM

DM186 said:
They aren't too bad. I wouldn't use them on BF3 or Skyrim. But for my type of gaming they work real well. I just wish had gone with something else. They are a weak cand.

That is why they are OC'd and in SLI so it gives me the illusion of a 6870. But so far so good. I am into strategy type gaming a little RPG hense the handle. You know what is funny?

I put together a nice rig and totally blew it with a shottie PSU with two 550's. But for now it will do untill I need to up grade. I warn eveybody not to follow in my footsteps. They won't be able too game with BF3 etc.

At the very least you're only a GPU and PSU replacement away from good digs though. It could certainly be worse. You invested in the sandy bridge platform and can be thankful for that lol.
February 26, 2012 11:10:50 PM

EXTREME184 said:

Sorry about the typo.

Oh. Well, that's a small resolution but a 6570 is considerably weaker than the already weak 6750 :x. I'm guessing medium/high settings maybe at that very small resolution but I can't be sure. I haven't gamed on anything near that size in a long time sorry.
February 26, 2012 11:34:39 PM

casualcolors said:
Oh. Well, that's a small resolution but a 6570 is considerably weaker than the already weak 6750 :x. I'm guessing medium/high settings maybe at that very small resolution but I can't be sure. I haven't gamed on anything near that size in a long time sorry.

What would you consider a decent resolution? Sorry for all the questions lol
February 26, 2012 11:44:18 PM

EXTREME184 said:

Sorry about the typo.

That changes everything. You will have nothing but problems in Shogun 2. Your FPS will be if your lucky around 30 in battle and 10 on campain map. But it is still playable.

Med Just not on ultra or very high, that will be your center spot and turn off eveything that you don't need or even if you think you need. Like said before it is very hungry game.

You would fare better playing the Empire or Napoleon and Medieval ll games. They would be more for that cards liking. I do wish you the best of luck on this. That Shogun 2 is such a cool game.

If you can up grade then get a 6870 then that game will rock for you.
February 28, 2012 7:18:22 PM

DM186 said:
That changes everything. You will have nothing but problems in Shogun 2. Your FPS will be if your lucky around 30 in battle and 10 on campain map. But it is still playable.

Med Just not on ultra or very high, that will be your center spot and turn off eveything that you don't need or even if you think you need. Like said before it is very hungry game.

You would fare better playing the Empire or Napoleon and Medieval ll games. They would be more for that cards liking. I do wish you the best of luck on this. That Shogun 2 is such a cool game.

If you can up grade then get a 6870 then that game will rock for you.

Thanks man. I appreciate all the help. Just bought the Total War Collection today (Empire, Napoleon, Rome and Med II for £10)

I hope they'll all run well :o 
September 3, 2013 9:17:35 PM

I have 8GB RAM and a 7950 and even on ultra settings it still screws me over. I get graphical glitches when i try to zoom up in the battles. I consider Total War 2 the new-old Crysis 2.5. However with my old 550ti I was able to play it on normal~high settings... So you should be able to play it on a normal ~ low settings fine
!