Reformatting Help!

Ive been trying to reformat my computer but everytime i try i get this
message:

The type of the file system is NTFS.

Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted first.
ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N)

anyone have any idea what it means and what i need to do so that i can
reformat my computer? Im using XP Home Edition

--
elttop
5 answers Last reply

    Try installing xp cd,exit the info screen,restart computer,boot to xp cd
    (you may
    need to adjust for this in BIOS-boot priority device or similiar),at cd
    boot menu,
    press r for recovery,press enter key for password,then type:DiskPart In
    DiskPart
    delete the partition,then create one,then press Esc key,then type:
    FORMAT C: /FS:ntfs When its thru,type:EXIT Let the computer restart,boot
    to xp cd,select install xp.

    "elttop" wrote:

    > Ive been trying to reformat my computer but everytime i try i get this
    > message:
    >
    > The type of the file system is NTFS.
    >
    > Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another
    > process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted first.
    > ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
    > Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N)
    >
    > anyone have any idea what it means and what i need to do so that i can
    > reformat my computer? Im using XP Home Edition
    >

    > --
    > elttop

    To do a clean install boot the Windows XP install CD-Rom. When you get to
    the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other partitions found. After you
    delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again restart the pc booting
    the CD-Rom to avoid unexpected drive letter assignments with your new
    install.

    Be sure to apply SP2 or at least these two below to your new install before
    connecting to any network.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "elttop" wrote:

    | Ive been trying to reformat my computer but everytime i try i get this
    | message:
    |
    | The type of the file system is NTFS.
    |
    | Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another
    | process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted first.
    | ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
    | Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N)
    |
    | anyone have any idea what it means and what i need to do so that i can
    | reformat my computer? Im using XP Home Edition
    |

    | --
    | elttop

    Hi .. If you have a windows xp disc ? What you need to do is enter your bios
    screen and make sure you can boot off your CD Rom drive , Meaning your boot
    order must be set up to boot off the CD Rom first , Afterward once that is
    done just save that setting ..... At that point just do the following

    1. Insert your Windows XP CD into the CD-ROM drive and restart your
    computer.
    2. At the Windows XP Setup menu, press Enter to continue setup.
    3. Press F8 to agree the License Agreement. Then press Esc to continue a
    fresh copy without repairing.
    4. Press D to delete the selected partition, then press Enter.
    5. Press L to confirm. After you delete the partition, press Enter to
    install Windows XP. You can use the UP and DOWN arrows keys to select and
    format the partition as NTFS or FAT32. Press Enter again to format the
    partiton.
    6. Remove any floppies or CD-ROM before your computer restarts. Then follow
    the setup instructions to finish the installation process.

    Also you might want to check out these websites in how its done as well

    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcas...xp_sg_clean.asp

    http://michaelstevenstech.com/

    take at look at these sites above

    "elttop" <elttop.1trlpq@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > Ive been trying to reformat my computer but everytime i try i get this
    > message:
    >
    > The type of the file system is NTFS.
    >
    > Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another
    > process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted first.
    > ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
    > Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N)
    >
    > anyone have any idea what it means and what i need to do so that i can
    > reformat my computer? Im using XP Home Edition
    >

    > --
    > elttop

    visit my website http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org Click the Win XP Faq
    button and take a look at question 7 How do i reformat my hard drive with
    XP. For re-installing xp check out question 85. Both these questions assume
    you have a retail copy of windows xp rather than a manufacturer's recovery
    disk.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert

    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

    "RoadRunner" <xpnewsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi .. If you have a windows xp disc ? What you need to do is enter your
    > bios
    > screen and make sure you can boot off your CD Rom drive , Meaning your
    > boot
    > order must be set up to boot off the CD Rom first , Afterward once that is
    > done just save that setting ..... At that point just do the following
    >
    > 1. Insert your Windows XP CD into the CD-ROM drive and restart your
    > computer.
    > 2. At the Windows XP Setup menu, press Enter to continue setup.
    > 3. Press F8 to agree the License Agreement. Then press Esc to continue a
    > fresh copy without repairing.
    > 4. Press D to delete the selected partition, then press Enter.
    > 5. Press L to confirm. After you delete the partition, press Enter to
    > install Windows XP. You can use the UP and DOWN arrows keys to select and
    > format the partition as NTFS or FAT32. Press Enter again to format the
    > partiton.
    > 6. Remove any floppies or CD-ROM before your computer restarts. Then
    > follow
    > the setup instructions to finish the installation process.
    >
    > Also you might want to check out these websites in how its done as well
    >
    > http://www.winsupersite.com/showcas...xp_sg_clean.asp
    >
    > http://michaelstevenstech.com/
    >
    > take at look at these sites above
    >

    > "elttop" <elttop.1trlpq@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Ive been trying to reformat my computer but everytime i try i get this
    >> message:
    >>
    >> The type of the file system is NTFS.
    >>
    >> Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another
    >> process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted first.
    >> ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
    >> Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N)
    >>
    >> anyone have any idea what it means and what i need to do so that i can
    >> reformat my computer? Im using XP Home Edition
    >>

    >> --
    >> elttop

Computers Format Windows XP