Cirunz

Distinguished
May 27, 2003
The question may sounds stupid, but I don't know how to resolve:
I'm using Virtual PC on my computer for emulate e pc for make tests on various things.
On my host computer I have installed Win2000 pro, and I'm using one of my two ethernet adapters for virtual switch.
The problem is:
Win2000 disactivate network service if there isn't a computer/switch/whatever connected to the network card, so I can't keep connection between host and guest computer unless another PC connected by crossover cable is switched on.
With NT/98/Other there isn't difference if the cable is connected or not: The network services will work anyway, I want to make something similar on Win2k, someone know a way to bypass this cable test?

grafixmonkey

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2004
If you have a hub or switch or anything with an ethernet port on it, plug it in to that problem port. It doesn't matter if there's anything else on it or not - just set the card to use a static IP address in a private range like 10.1.69.69 so that your NIC won't be able to talk to any other devices and its IP won't interfere with anything else on your LAN. If the hub/switch/whatever isn't being used for anything else, even better - just plug it in and it will give the link light that Win2K is looking for. Any spare device will do, 10 megabit, 100 megabit, even an unplugged cable modem or DSL modem.

I don't know of any way to do this without using extra hardware in this way. You could theoretically plug a third NIC into your computer and plug a crossover cable between the two, but that would change your system setup (might interfere with tests.)

Cirunz

Distinguished
May 27, 2003
Effectively I've resolved plugging an hub on that port. Even if there isn't nothing into the other hub's ports it work fine, has you say.
Anyway thanks for the help.