Increasing Speed of Computer Processor

jeffry

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2005

How can I increase the speed of my computer's processor? And how can I
increase the Memory my system has allocated to my browser? The
following may provide some relevant data for my questions:

Current Processor is:x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6 authentic
AMD1391MHZ
Model is : Presario 900
OS Name is: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
System type is: X86 - based PC
Total Physical Memory is : 256 MB

I wish to double the the Total Physical Memory. What should I do?

Thanks and all the best

--
jeffry

Follow the instructions here...
[[Not Sure Which Memory Upgrade You Need?
Want to eliminate the hassle and risk of getting the wrong
memory—guaranteed, or your money back? ]]
Memory upgrades
http://www.crucial.com/

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:jeffry.1tszq6@pcbanter.net,
jeffry <jeffry.1tszq6@pcbanter.net> hunted and pecked:
> How can I increase the speed of my computer's processor? And how can I
> increase the Memory my system has allocated to my browser? The
> following may provide some relevant data for my questions:
>
> Current Processor is:x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6 authentic
> AMD1391MHZ
> Model is : Presario 900
> OS Name is: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
> System type is: X86 - based PC
> Total Physical Memory is : 256 MB
>
> I wish to double the the Total Physical Memory. What should I do?
>
> Thanks and all the best
>

> --
> jeffry

MODEL: Presario 900 Series (905au) MEMORY UPGRADES
256MB Module 269086B25 $38.98
Just search for your make, model, & memory upgrades.
512mb. is considered to be the minimum these days.
As far as overclocking;
'Favorite Products for Overclocking' (http://tinyurl.com/aemr9)
Best,
Treeman

--
Treeman

"jeffry" <jeffry.1tszq6@pcbanter.net> wrote...

> How can I increase the speed of my computer's processor? And how can I
> increase the Memory my system has allocated to my browser? The
> following may provide some relevant data for my questions:
>
> Current Processor is:x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6 authentic
> AMD1391MHZ
> Model is : Presario 900
> OS Name is: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
> System type is: X86 - based PC
> Total Physical Memory is : 256 MB
>
> I wish to double the the Total Physical Memory. What should I do?

Why not start with the HP support web site at
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/siteHome?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en or
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/pfinder?tool=prodinfoCategory&query=Presario+900&dest_page=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en?

Then read through the available info including Memory Specifications and
Upgrading RAM.

Then go to www.crucial.com to find the memory modules you need.

Notebook motherboards and CPUs are not as easily configured as desktops, so you
are unlikely to be able to increase your CPU speed.

Jeffrey

Overclocking the cpu is not a good idea.. it can lead to instability.. re.
memory, follow Wesley's advice..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"jeffry" <jeffry.1tszq6@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> How can I increase the speed of my computer's processor? And how can I
> increase the Memory my system has allocated to my browser? The
> following may provide some relevant data for my questions:
>
> Current Processor is:x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6 authentic
> AMD1391MHZ
> Model is : Presario 900
> OS Name is: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
> System type is: X86 - based PC
> Total Physical Memory is : 256 MB
>
> I wish to double the the Total Physical Memory. What should I do?
>
> Thanks and all the best
>

> --
> jeffry

Jim

"jeffry" <jeffry.1tszq6@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> How can I increase the speed of my computer's processor? And how can I
> increase the Memory my system has allocated to my browser? The
> following may provide some relevant data for my questions:
>
> Current Processor is:x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6 authentic
> AMD1391MHZ
> Model is : Presario 900
> OS Name is: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
> System type is: X86 - based PC
> Total Physical Memory is : 256 MB
>
> I wish to double the the Total Physical Memory. What should I do?
>
> Thanks and all the best
>

> --
> jeffry
You need more physical memory (512 mb or more). The manual for your
computer should tell you how to do this. Be certain that you buy the
correct type.
You may find that disks that have more cache memory make some difference.
And, let the system manage the pagefile size.
Jim

jeffry <jeffry.1tszq6@pcbanter.net> wrote:

>How can I increase the speed of my computer's processor? And how can I
>increase the Memory my system has allocated to my browser? The
>following may provide some relevant data for my questions:
>
>Current Processor is:x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6 authentic
>AMD1391MHZ
>Model is : Presario 900
>OS Name is: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
>System type is: X86 - based PC
>Total Physical Memory is : 256 MB
>
>I wish to double the the Total Physical Memory. What should I do?
>
>Thanks and all the best

Compaq lists 4 different variants for the Presario 900, all of which
have a 2 letter suffice following the 900 - 900AP, 900CA, 900LA and
900US. Presumably there are differences between them so it would help
to know which specific variant you have before making specific
suggestions.

The Compaq web site lists only a single processor for the 900US model
at least (AMD Athlon XP 1700+ running at 1.47 ghz) so I doubt if a
processor upgrade would be feasible. And overclocking a notebook is
pretty well out of the question because, among other things,
overclocking requires increased cooling and there is no way to do this
on a notebook.

More RAM would be a definite possibility, and Crucial is probably the
top-rated supplier for this. The Presario 900 series notebooks all
take PC2100 SDRAM using a 200 pin SODIMM module. This is a different
size and shape module from the SDRAM modules used in regular PCs.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP