"Limited Virtual Memory"

I'm starting to tear me hair out over this one. Most of the postings
seem to mention IAA or incorrect settings, which I've already checked
don't apply here. However what intrigues me is KB article 255205 that
recommends that I copy boot.ini to pagefile.sys - this produces an
Access is denied error, yet all other utilities (attrib, del /a etc.)
deny the existence of pagefile.sys altogether.

I even tried manually configuring the PagingFiles registry key. My
jubilation was short-lived - the change worked for one reboot, then the
messages started reappearing, although in this case the copy of boot.ini
to pagefile.new does work but again only for one reboot.

Some more information just in case it helps: the partition is formatted
to NTFS and gets checked and defragged regularly.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I could try next?

Jim

"Neil Rashbrook" <neil@parkwaycc.co.uk> wrote in message
> I'm starting to tear me hair out over this one. Most of the postings seem
> to mention IAA or incorrect settings, which I've already checked don't
> apply here. However what intrigues me is KB article 255205 that recommends
> that I copy boot.ini to pagefile.sys - this produces an Access is denied
> error, yet all other utilities (attrib, del /a etc.) deny the existence of
> pagefile.sys altogether.
And what was this supposed to accomplish?

> I even tried manually configuring the PagingFiles registry key. My
> jubilation was short-lived - the change worked for one reboot, then the
> messages started reappearing, although in this case the copy of boot.ini
> to pagefile.new does work but again only for one reboot.
>
> Some more information just in case it helps: the partition is formatted to
> NTFS and gets checked and defragged regularly.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas as to what I could try next?
Let the system manage the pagefile size. You may need a larger disk.
Jim

Virtual Memory in Windows XP
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uQ7NlJboFHA.764@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Neil Rashbrook <neil@parkwaycc.co.uk> hunted and pecked:

Jim wrote:

>"Neil Rashbrook" <neil@parkwaycc.co.uk> wrote in message
>

>>I'm starting to tear me hair out over this one. Most of the postings seem to mention IAA or incorrect settings, which I've already checked don't apply here. However what intrigues me is KB article 255205 that recommends that I copy boot.ini to pagefile.sys - this produces an Access is denied error, yet all other utilities (attrib, del /a etc.) deny the existence of pagefile.sys altogether.
>>

>And what was this supposed to accomplish?

Sorry, this article was linked from another article whose ID I no longer
remember.

>>I even tried manually configuring the PagingFiles registry key. My jubilation was short-lived - the change worked for one reboot, then the messages started reappearing, although in this case the copy of boot.ini to pagefile.new does work but again only for one reboot.
>>
>>Some more information just in case it helps: the partition is formatted to NTFS and gets checked and defragged regularly.
>>
>>Does anyone have any ideas as to what I could try next?
>>

>Let the system manage the pagefile size.

As it happens I'd already tried that too, without success.

>You may need a larger disk.

No I don't, because the page file is successfully created (but only
once) if I manually configure the registry.

Wesley Vogel wrote:

>Virtual Memory in Windows XP
>http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

The maximum size setting is not incorrect, because manually configuring
the paging file with a different name works for one boot.

It's possible that the page file is corrupt in a way that setting
virtual memory to No Page File does not fix.

The page file is on drive C:

It's possible that NAV 2004 is causing a conflict. It's unfortunate that
the page does not have more information on this. But at least it's
something to go on :)

I'm not sure how safe it is to remove the controller for the boot device.

The permissions are correct because I am able to create a page file with
a different name, although only for one boot.

Neil Rashbrook wrote:

> I even tried manually configuring the PagingFiles registry key. My
> jubilation was short-lived - the change worked for one reboot, then
> the messages started reappearing, although in this case the copy of
> boot.ini to pagefile.new does work but again only for one reboot.

OK, I've decided to blame Norton Protected Recycle bin - if I configure
the registry key to a file name of pagefile.tmp then everything works.

Norton strikes again.

Their software gets into the registry where it has no business.

Dump Norton.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:OjKPH1woFHA.1464@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,

Neil Rashbrook wrote:

> Neil Rashbrook wrote:
>
>> I even tried manually configuring the PagingFiles registry key. My
>> jubilation was short-lived - the change worked for one reboot, then
>> the messages started reappearing, although in this case the copy of
>> boot.ini to pagefile.new does work but again only for one reboot.
>
> OK, I've decided to blame Norton Protected Recycle bin - if I
> configure the registry key to a file name of pagefile.tmp then
> everything works.

I spoke too soon.

With a paging file of C:\pagefile.tmp it works on alternate reboots...

Wesley Vogel wrote:

>Norton strikes again.
>
>Their software gets into the registry where it has no business.
>
>Dump Norton.

Sadly the PC's owner is Norton's biggest fan...

<LOL> What're ya gonna do? <shrug>

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes