linksys WRT54G+ Terayon cable modem connection problems

Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 1, 2005 4:32:36 PM

i have a linksys WRT54G that is connected to a Terayon cable modem
my main computer is connected via ethernet cable to the router.

there was no problems with the internet connection 'till i started
using the linksys router.

everything works fine, but the connection is disconnected for about
5-10 secs. once or twice an hour!!

what should i do about this?? (for now, i am not using the router)

thanks.
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 2:35:15 AM

On 1 Sep 2005 12:32:36 -0700, friedman30@gmail.com wrote:

>i have a linksys WRT54G that is connected to a Terayon cable modem
>my main computer is connected via ethernet cable to the router.
>
>there was no problems with the internet connection 'till i started
>using the linksys router.
>
>everything works fine, but the connection is disconnected for about
>5-10 secs. once or twice an hour!!
>
>what should i do about this?? (for now, i am not using the router)

Go to the Main WAN setup page on the WRT54G and change the "timeout"
at the bottom of the page from the default of 5 minutes to zero
minutes.

Also, disconnect the USB cable between the Tarayon cable modem and the
computah as it's only needed for configuration and just gets in the
way.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 6:17:29 AM

the USB cable is going from the Terayon modem to the linksys router and
from the router to the computer.

there is no direct link between the Terayon modem and the computer.
September 4, 2005 1:11:56 PM

On 4 Sep 2005 02:17:29 -0700, friedman30@gmail.com wrote:

>the USB cable is going from the Terayon modem to the linksys router and
>from the router to the computer.

The WRT54G does not have a USB connector.

>there is no direct link between the Terayon modem and the computer.

The Terayon modem has *TWO* connectors. One is USB which *MAY* be
used for connectivity witht the computer, but is usually just used to
setting up the Terayon modem. The other is ethernet which is what you
should be using with the router. Not all Terayon cable modems are
identical, but most have both connections. Kindly disclose the model
number and I'll check.

You should have a CAT5 ethernet cable going between the Terayon cable
modem and the WAN port of the WRT54G. There should also be a CAT5
ethernet cable going between one of the LAN ports on the WRT54G and
the computer. Leave the USB cable from the Terayon modem
disconnected.

Your unspecified cable ISP probably has setup guides for installling
hardware. The problem is probably that the ISP requires that the MAC
address of your computer appear on their CMTS for authentication. On
the WRT54G setup page, the third item on the horizontal scrolling
menu, says "MAC Address Clone". Do it. Save. Then, turn OFF the
power on both the Terayon modem and WRT54G to rest the bridging table.
With luck, it might work.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 3:42:36 PM

the Terayon model is : TJ715X

It has only one ethernet connection, and all the connections look fine.
I have tried upgrading the firmware to the european one. (my internet
provider told me to do so).

Jeff, i did not follow your advice, since i am not sure what it is
supposed to do... can you please try and make it more clear?
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 4:21:24 PM

On 4 Sep 2005 11:42:36 -0700, friedman30@gmail.com wrote:

>the Terayon model is : TJ715X

The TJ700x series has both USB and ethernet connections. The USB is
mostly used for setup and firmware. The ethernet connection goes to
your WRT54G or computer. Leave the USB cable disconnected.

>It has only one ethernet connection, and all the connections look fine.
>I have tried upgrading the firmware to the european one. (my internet
>provider told me to do so).

1. Does it stay up when TJ715X is directly connected to the computah?

2. Who is your internet provider? I'm trying to determine if you
need to clone the MAC address or perform some authentication ritual.
Probably not.

>Jeff, i did not follow your advice, since i am not sure what it is
>supposed to do... can you please try and make it more clear?

3. Is this:
"everything works fine, but the connection is disconnected for
about 5-10 secs. once or twice an hour!!"
still a problem when the WRT54G is put back in the system?

4. When you are testing, are you using wireless or wired? You should
do all your initial setup and testing of the router with a wired
connection, not wireless. Verify that it works and stays up with the
WRT54G installed and connected with an ethernet connection.

5. Once you have that wired working, unplug the ethernet cable to the
computer and try wireless. If it continues to disconnect erratically,
it might be RF interference from other wireless networks, cordless
phones or microwave ovens. Try a different channel 1, 6, or 11. Try
moving the WRT54G away from the windows so that it doesn't pickup as
much crud from outside.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 4:51:25 AM

It seems that there is a solution to the problem.
I talked to my internet provider ("Netvision") and they told me that
there is a european firmware to the router.

i have found that firmware at the German Linksys site, and upgraded (or
better said - downgraded) to it.

for now, everything works fine.

thanks;

Dror Friedamn