PC Inspector

I installed PC Inspector to try to find a file I had put in the recycle bin
and then emptied the recycle bin. the
majority of the stuff found was a bunch of numbers and letters mixed. I was
able to find one picture only. I
typed in the name of the file that was deleted and it didn't have that - it
just gave me a bunch of numbers. I went through the tutorial and scanned
the disks. Didn't give me any names of anything though, just lists of
numbers. Any more ideas? Thanks.
9 answers Last reply
More about inspector

    This may be a moot point now, but in the future when you delete something or
    empty your Recycle Bin and want to recover something from it... Stop using
    the computer now. Your recovery chances are better if the file has not been
    overwritten.

    This is free.

    Restoration Version 2.5.14 Author: Brian Kato
    http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/RESTORATION.html

    Description
    [[Restore files which are deleted from the recycle bin or deleted while
    holding down the Shift key by mistake. Conversely, this program has another
    function that makes it almost impossible to restore all deleted files. You
    can use it after deletion of confidential documents, embarrassing files and
    so on.]]

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:OUU0NBgoFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    PattiChati <PattiChati@anywhere.invalid> hunted and pecked:
    > I installed PC Inspector to try to find a file I had put in the recycle
    > bin and then emptied the recycle bin. the
    > majority of the stuff found was a bunch of numbers and letters mixed. I
    > was able to find one picture only. I
    > typed in the name of the file that was deleted and it didn't have that -
    > it just gave me a bunch of numbers. I went through the tutorial and
    > scanned the disks. Didn't give me any names of anything though, just
    > lists of numbers. Any more ideas? Thanks.

    Wesley

    I see that the program has the same kind of disclaimers as others do.. that
    even if the file is 'recovered', it may not be in exactly the same form as
    it was deleted..

    And to think that there are users who want to turn of the annoying 'are you
    really sure that you reallly want to do this action' and who refuse to
    backup files..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    > This may be a moot point now, but in the future when you delete something
    > or
    > empty your Recycle Bin and want to recover something from it... Stop
    > using
    > the computer now. Your recovery chances are better if the file has not
    > been
    > overwritten.
    >
    > This is free.
    >
    > Restoration Version 2.5.14 Author: Brian Kato
    > http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/RESTORATION.html
    >
    > Description
    > [[Restore files which are deleted from the recycle bin or deleted while
    > holding down the Shift key by mistake. Conversely, this program has
    > another
    > function that makes it almost impossible to restore all deleted files.
    > You
    > can use it after deletion of confidential documents, embarrassing files
    > and
    > so on.]]
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:OUU0NBgoFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    > PattiChati <PattiChati@anywhere.invalid> hunted and pecked:
    >> I installed PC Inspector to try to find a file I had put in the recycle
    >> bin and then emptied the recycle bin. the
    >> majority of the stuff found was a bunch of numbers and letters mixed. I
    >> was able to find one picture only. I
    >> typed in the name of the file that was deleted and it didn't have that -
    >> it just gave me a bunch of numbers. I went through the tutorial and
    >> scanned the disks. Didn't give me any names of anything though, just
    >> lists of numbers. Any more ideas? Thanks.

    People have mentioned a few times of "backing up" files. Do you do this by
    doing a "restore point". My computer does this automatically.
    Unfortunately I couldn't go to the restore point of the day before because
    stuff had been done to my computer that I didn't want to lose. I am afraid
    it is lost and gone forever::(:(
    > Wesley
    >
    > I see that the program has the same kind of disclaimers as others do..
    > that even if the file is 'recovered', it may not be in exactly the same
    > form as it was deleted..
    >
    > And to think that there are users who want to turn of the annoying 'are
    > you really sure that you reallly want to do this action' and who refuse to
    > backup files..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User

    >> This may be a moot point now, but in the future when you delete something
    >> or
    >> empty your Recycle Bin and want to recover something from it... Stop
    >> using
    >> the computer now. Your recovery chances are better if the file has not
    >> been
    >> overwritten.
    >>
    >> This is free.
    >>
    >> Restoration Version 2.5.14 Author: Brian Kato
    >> http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/RESTORATION.html
    >>
    >> Description
    >> [[Restore files which are deleted from the recycle bin or deleted while
    >> holding down the Shift key by mistake. Conversely, this program has
    >> another
    >> function that makes it almost impossible to restore all deleted files.
    >> You
    >> can use it after deletion of confidential documents, embarrassing files
    >> and
    >> so on.]]
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:OUU0NBgoFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    >> PattiChati <PattiChati@anywhere.invalid> hunted and pecked:
    >>> I installed PC Inspector to try to find a file I had put in the recycle
    >>> bin and then emptied the recycle bin. the
    >>> majority of the stuff found was a bunch of numbers and letters mixed. I
    >>> was able to find one picture only. I
    >>> typed in the name of the file that was deleted and it didn't have that -
    >>> it just gave me a bunch of numbers. I went through the tutorial and
    >>> scanned the disks. Didn't give me any names of anything though, just
    >>> lists of numbers. Any more ideas? Thanks.

    Hi Mike,

    The way I understand it, deleted files can be partially overwritten, that's
    what causes the damage. And of course if they are completely overwritten,
    phhht, they're gone.

    I use Shift + Delete all the time, but I do have the delete confirmation
    dialog set to display. Any of us can get distracted by something or
    whatever and make a mistake.

    I, like many of us make backups, but not often enough so that if right now
    my hard drive went South, I'd be in trouble. Note to self: Update backups
    today.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:OXO6AAnoFHA.3304@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> hunted and pecked:
    > Wesley
    >
    > I see that the program has the same kind of disclaimers as others do..
    > that even if the file is 'recovered', it may not be in exactly the same
    > form as it was deleted..
    >
    > And to think that there are users who want to turn of the annoying 'are
    > you really sure that you reallly want to do this action' and who refuse to
    > backup files..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User

    >> This may be a moot point now, but in the future when you delete something
    >> or
    >> empty your Recycle Bin and want to recover something from it... Stop
    >> using
    >> the computer now. Your recovery chances are better if the file has not
    >> been
    >> overwritten.
    >>
    >> This is free.
    >>
    >> Restoration Version 2.5.14 Author: Brian Kato
    >> http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/RESTORATION.html
    >>
    >> Description
    >> [[Restore files which are deleted from the recycle bin or deleted while
    >> holding down the Shift key by mistake. Conversely, this program has
    >> another
    >> function that makes it almost impossible to restore all deleted files.
    >> You
    >> can use it after deletion of confidential documents, embarrassing files
    >> and
    >> so on.]]
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:OUU0NBgoFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    >> PattiChati <PattiChati@anywhere.invalid> hunted and pecked:
    >>> I installed PC Inspector to try to find a file I had put in the recycle
    >>> bin and then emptied the recycle bin. the
    >>> majority of the stuff found was a bunch of numbers and letters mixed. I
    >>> was able to find one picture only. I
    >>> typed in the name of the file that was deleted and it didn't have that -
    >>> it just gave me a bunch of numbers. I went through the tutorial and
    >>> scanned the disks. Didn't give me any names of anything though, just
    >>> lists of numbers. Any more ideas? Thanks.

    Patti

    System Restore does not have an effect on any user generated stuff.. it only
    affects system files.. that is the theory..

    Backing up is the traditional way of saying 'save'.. if you have a writable
    CD unit, it is always a good idea to save files to CD for which you have no
    installable media.. like a light bulb, one day, you power up your system and
    nothing happens.. backups (saves) are invaluable during times like these..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "PattiChati" <PattiChati@anywhere.invalid> wrote in message
    > People have mentioned a few times of "backing up" files. Do you do this
    > by doing a "restore point". My computer does this automatically.
    > Unfortunately I couldn't go to the restore point of the day before because
    > stuff had been done to my computer that I didn't want to lose. I am
    > afraid it is lost and gone forever::(:(
    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >> Wesley
    >>
    >> I see that the program has the same kind of disclaimers as others do..
    >> that even if the file is 'recovered', it may not be in exactly the same
    >> form as it was deleted..
    >>
    >> And to think that there are users who want to turn of the annoying 'are
    >> you really sure that you reallly want to do this action' and who refuse
    >> to backup files..
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/User

    >>> This may be a moot point now, but in the future when you delete
    >>> something or
    >>> empty your Recycle Bin and want to recover something from it... Stop
    >>> using
    >>> the computer now. Your recovery chances are better if the file has not
    >>> been
    >>> overwritten.
    >>>
    >>> This is free.
    >>>
    >>> Restoration Version 2.5.14 Author: Brian Kato
    >>> http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/RESTORATION.html
    >>>
    >>> Description
    >>> [[Restore files which are deleted from the recycle bin or deleted while
    >>> holding down the Shift key by mistake. Conversely, this program has
    >>> another
    >>> function that makes it almost impossible to restore all deleted files.
    >>> You
    >>> can use it after deletion of confidential documents, embarrassing files
    >>> and
    >>> so on.]]
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>>
    >>> Wes
    >>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>> In news:OUU0NBgoFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    >>> PattiChati <PattiChati@anywhere.invalid> hunted and pecked:

    Wesley

    You and I have practices in common other that I don't have the warning when
    SHIFT- Deleting.. :-) .. and yes, I have had a few 'phhhted' files over
    time..

    The file overwriting is 'luck of the draw' stuff.. if you are lucky, new
    things are written to completely empty bits of the drive..

    I do not believe in luck, mainly because I don't have any unless it is of
    the bad variety.. the last time, I lost music files.. well, I say lost..
    they formed medleys, quite large medleys where the first part might be the
    soothing sound of Pachabel, morphing (kind of.. ok crashing) into Black
    Sabbath's Cornucopia, and rounding off with The Highland Wedding
    (bagpipes).. BTW, this was the good part of the luck at the time..
    everything else was gone

    Then I remembered that I had saved a bunch of stuff to another computer..
    yeehaaa, I had backups

    > Hi Mike,
    >
    > The way I understand it, deleted files can be partially overwritten,
    > that's
    > what causes the damage. And of course if they are completely overwritten,
    > phhht, they're gone.
    >
    > I use Shift + Delete all the time, but I do have the delete confirmation
    > dialog set to display. Any of us can get distracted by something or
    > whatever and make a mistake.
    >
    > I, like many of us make backups, but not often enough so that if right now
    > my hard drive went South, I'd be in trouble. Note to self: Update backups
    > today.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:OXO6AAnoFHA.3304@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    > Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> hunted and pecked:
    >> Wesley
    >>
    >> I see that the program has the same kind of disclaimers as others do..
    >> that even if the file is 'recovered', it may not be in exactly the same
    >> form as it was deleted..
    >>
    >> And to think that there are users who want to turn of the annoying 'are
    >> you really sure that you reallly want to do this action' and who refuse
    >> backup files..
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/User

    >>> This may be a moot point now, but in the future when you delete
    >>> something
    >>> or
    >>> empty your Recycle Bin and want to recover something from it... Stop
    >>> using
    >>> the computer now. Your recovery chances are better if the file has not
    >>> been
    >>> overwritten.
    >>>
    >>> This is free.
    >>>
    >>> Restoration Version 2.5.14 Author: Brian Kato
    >>> http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/RESTORATION.html
    >>>
    >>> Description
    >>> [[Restore files which are deleted from the recycle bin or deleted while
    >>> holding down the Shift key by mistake. Conversely, this program has
    >>> another
    >>> function that makes it almost impossible to restore all deleted files.
    >>> You
    >>> can use it after deletion of confidential documents, embarrassing files
    >>> and
    >>> so on.]]
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>>
    >>> Wes
    >>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>> In news:OUU0NBgoFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    >>> PattiChati <PattiChati@anywhere.invalid> hunted and pecked:

    Hi Mike,

    Black Sabbath to bagpipes. <LOL> Your music tastes seem to be eclectic
    like mine.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:%23D48qgpoFHA.1372@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> hunted and pecked:
    > Wesley
    >
    > You and I have practices in common other that I don't have the warning
    > when SHIFT- Deleting.. :-) .. and yes, I have had a few 'phhhted' files
    > over time..
    >
    > The file overwriting is 'luck of the draw' stuff.. if you are lucky, new
    > things are written to completely empty bits of the drive..
    >
    > I do not believe in luck, mainly because I don't have any unless it is of
    > the bad variety.. the last time, I lost music files.. well, I say lost..
    > they formed medleys, quite large medleys where the first part might be the
    > soothing sound of Pachabel, morphing (kind of.. ok crashing) into Black
    > Sabbath's Cornucopia, and rounding off with The Highland Wedding
    > (bagpipes).. BTW, this was the good part of the luck at the time..
    > everything else was gone
    >
    > Then I remembered that I had saved a bunch of stuff to another computer..
    > yeehaaa, I had backups
    >
    > Note to self: Update backups today. :-)
    >

    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User

    >> Hi Mike,
    >>
    >> The way I understand it, deleted files can be partially overwritten,
    >> that's
    >> what causes the damage. And of course if they are completely
    >> overwritten, phhht, they're gone.
    >>
    >> I use Shift + Delete all the time, but I do have the delete confirmation
    >> dialog set to display. Any of us can get distracted by something or
    >> whatever and make a mistake.
    >>
    >> I, like many of us make backups, but not often enough so that if right
    >> now my hard drive went South, I'd be in trouble. Note to self: Update
    >> backups today.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:OXO6AAnoFHA.3304@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    >> Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Wesley
    >>>
    >>> I see that the program has the same kind of disclaimers as others do..
    >>> that even if the file is 'recovered', it may not be in exactly the same
    >>> form as it was deleted..
    >>>
    >>> And to think that there are users who want to turn of the annoying 'are
    >>> you really sure that you reallly want to do this action' and who refuse
    >>> backup files..
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Mike Hall
    >>> MVP - Windows Shell/User

    Wesley

    Eclectic?.. is that what you call it when a lead riff turns into the sound
    of the piper filling the bag and getting comfortable?.. lol.. varied tastes
    is one thing but to have the whole lot joined up into a file size that
    challenges the IT/Professional download of SP2?.. now that's another..

    It was an interesting exercise in file recovery.. needless to say, I
    summarily dumped the recovered files.. two per CD just didn't sit right,
    somehow, and the sudden changes in tempo scared the hell out of me..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    > Hi Mike,
    >
    > Black Sabbath to bagpipes. <LOL> Your music tastes seem to be eclectic
    > like mine.
    >

    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:%23D48qgpoFHA.1372@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    > Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> hunted and pecked:
    >> Wesley
    >>
    >> You and I have practices in common other that I don't have the warning
    >> when SHIFT- Deleting.. :-) .. and yes, I have had a few 'phhhted' files
    >> over time..
    >>
    >> The file overwriting is 'luck of the draw' stuff.. if you are lucky, new
    >> things are written to completely empty bits of the drive..
    >>
    >> I do not believe in luck, mainly because I don't have any unless it is of
    >> the bad variety.. the last time, I lost music files.. well, I say lost..
    >> they formed medleys, quite large medleys where the first part might be
    >> the
    >> soothing sound of Pachabel, morphing (kind of.. ok crashing) into Black
    >> Sabbath's Cornucopia, and rounding off with The Highland Wedding
    >> (bagpipes).. BTW, this was the good part of the luck at the time..
    >> everything else was gone
    >>
    >> Then I remembered that I had saved a bunch of stuff to another computer..
    >> yeehaaa, I had backups
    >>
    >> Note to self: Update backups today. :-)
    >>

    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/User

    >>> Hi Mike,
    >>>
    >>> The way I understand it, deleted files can be partially overwritten,
    >>> that's
    >>> what causes the damage. And of course if they are completely
    >>> overwritten, phhht, they're gone.
    >>>
    >>> I use Shift + Delete all the time, but I do have the delete confirmation
    >>> dialog set to display. Any of us can get distracted by something or
    >>> whatever and make a mistake.
    >>>
    >>> I, like many of us make backups, but not often enough so that if right
    >>> now my hard drive went South, I'd be in trouble. Note to self: Update
    >>> backups today.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>>
    >>> Wes
    >>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>> In news:OXO6AAnoFHA.3304@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    >>> Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> hunted and pecked:

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 15:25:20 -0400, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"

    >The file overwriting is 'luck of the draw' stuff.. if you are lucky, new
    >things are written to completely empty bits of the drive..

    The odds are far better if you keep your data on a HD volume other
    than C:, and leave C: to the constant stream of write traffic that's
    so likely to cause that damage (Temp, web cache, pagefile, spooler...)

    The most accurate diagnostic instrument
    in medicine is the Retrospectoscope

Microsoft Windows XP