I installed PC Inspector to try to find a file I had put in the recycle bin
and then emptied the recycle bin. the
majority of the stuff found was a bunch of numbers and letters mixed. I was
able to find one picture only. I
typed in the name of the file that was deleted and it didn't have that - it
just gave me a bunch of numbers. I went through the tutorial and scanned
the disks. Didn't give me any names of anything though, just lists of
numbers. Any more ideas? Thanks.

This may be a moot point now, but in the future when you delete something or
empty your Recycle Bin and want to recover something from it... Stop using
the computer now. Your recovery chances are better if the file has not been
overwritten.

This is free.

Restoration Version 2.5.14 Author: Brian Kato
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/RESTORATION.html

Description
[[Restore files which are deleted from the recycle bin or deleted while
holding down the Shift key by mistake. Conversely, this program has another
function that makes it almost impossible to restore all deleted files. You
can use it after deletion of confidential documents, embarrassing files and
so on.]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:OUU0NBgoFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
PattiChati <PattiChati@anywhere.invalid> hunted and pecked:
> I installed PC Inspector to try to find a file I had put in the recycle
> bin and then emptied the recycle bin. the
> majority of the stuff found was a bunch of numbers and letters mixed. I
> was able to find one picture only. I
> typed in the name of the file that was deleted and it didn't have that -
> it just gave me a bunch of numbers. I went through the tutorial and
> scanned the disks. Didn't give me any names of anything though, just
> lists of numbers. Any more ideas? Thanks.

Wesley

I see that the program has the same kind of disclaimers as others do.. that
even if the file is 'recovered', it may not be in exactly the same form as
it was deleted..

And to think that there are users who want to turn of the annoying 'are you
really sure that you reallly want to do this action' and who refuse to
backup files..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

> This may be a moot point now, but in the future when you delete something
> or
> empty your Recycle Bin and want to recover something from it... Stop
> using
> the computer now. Your recovery chances are better if the file has not
> been
> overwritten.
>
> This is free.
>
> Restoration Version 2.5.14 Author: Brian Kato
> http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/RESTORATION.html
>
> Description
> [[Restore files which are deleted from the recycle bin or deleted while
> holding down the Shift key by mistake. Conversely, this program has
> another
> function that makes it almost impossible to restore all deleted files.
> You
> can use it after deletion of confidential documents, embarrassing files
> and
> so on.]]
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:OUU0NBgoFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> PattiChati <PattiChati@anywhere.invalid> hunted and pecked:
>> I installed PC Inspector to try to find a file I had put in the recycle
>> bin and then emptied the recycle bin. the
>> majority of the stuff found was a bunch of numbers and letters mixed. I
>> was able to find one picture only. I
>> typed in the name of the file that was deleted and it didn't have that -
>> it just gave me a bunch of numbers. I went through the tutorial and
>> scanned the disks. Didn't give me any names of anything though, just
>> lists of numbers. Any more ideas? Thanks.

People have mentioned a few times of "backing up" files. Do you do this by
doing a "restore point". My computer does this automatically.
Unfortunately I couldn't go to the restore point of the day before because
stuff had been done to my computer that I didn't want to lose. I am afraid
it is lost and gone forever::(:(
> Wesley
>
> I see that the program has the same kind of disclaimers as others do..
> that even if the file is 'recovered', it may not be in exactly the same
> form as it was deleted..
>
> And to think that there are users who want to turn of the annoying 'are
> you really sure that you reallly want to do this action' and who refuse to
> backup files..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User

>> This may be a moot point now, but in the future when you delete something
>> or
>> empty your Recycle Bin and want to recover something from it... Stop
>> using
>> the computer now. Your recovery chances are better if the file has not
>> been
>> overwritten.
>>
>> This is free.
>>
>> Restoration Version 2.5.14 Author: Brian Kato
>> http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/RESTORATION.html
>>
>> Description
>> [[Restore files which are deleted from the recycle bin or deleted while
>> holding down the Shift key by mistake. Conversely, this program has
>> another
>> function that makes it almost impossible to restore all deleted files.
>> You
>> can use it after deletion of confidential documents, embarrassing files
>> and
>> so on.]]
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:OUU0NBgoFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>> PattiChati <PattiChati@anywhere.invalid> hunted and pecked:
>>> I installed PC Inspector to try to find a file I had put in the recycle
>>> bin and then emptied the recycle bin. the
>>> majority of the stuff found was a bunch of numbers and letters mixed. I
>>> was able to find one picture only. I
>>> typed in the name of the file that was deleted and it didn't have that -
>>> it just gave me a bunch of numbers. I went through the tutorial and
>>> scanned the disks. Didn't give me any names of anything though, just
>>> lists of numbers. Any more ideas? Thanks.

Hi Mike,

The way I understand it, deleted files can be partially overwritten, that's
what causes the damage. And of course if they are completely overwritten,
phhht, they're gone.

I use Shift + Delete all the time, but I do have the delete confirmation
dialog set to display. Any of us can get distracted by something or
whatever and make a mistake.

I, like many of us make backups, but not often enough so that if right now
my hard drive went South, I'd be in trouble. Note to self: Update backups
today.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:OXO6AAnoFHA.3304@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> hunted and pecked:
> Wesley
>
> I see that the program has the same kind of disclaimers as others do..
> that even if the file is 'recovered', it may not be in exactly the same
> form as it was deleted..
>
> And to think that there are users who want to turn of the annoying 'are
> you really sure that you reallly want to do this action' and who refuse to
> backup files..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User

>> This may be a moot point now, but in the future when you delete something
>> or
>> empty your Recycle Bin and want to recover something from it... Stop
>> using
>> the computer now. Your recovery chances are better if the file has not
>> been
>> overwritten.
>>
>> This is free.
>>
>> Restoration Version 2.5.14 Author: Brian Kato
>> http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/RESTORATION.html
>>
>> Description
>> [[Restore files which are deleted from the recycle bin or deleted while
>> holding down the Shift key by mistake. Conversely, this program has
>> another
>> function that makes it almost impossible to restore all deleted files.
>> You
>> can use it after deletion of confidential documents, embarrassing files
>> and
>> so on.]]
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:OUU0NBgoFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>> PattiChati <PattiChati@anywhere.invalid> hunted and pecked:
>>> I installed PC Inspector to try to find a file I had put in the recycle
>>> bin and then emptied the recycle bin. the
>>> majority of the stuff found was a bunch of numbers and letters mixed. I
>>> was able to find one picture only. I
>>> typed in the name of the file that was deleted and it didn't have that -
>>> it just gave me a bunch of numbers. I went through the tutorial and
>>> scanned the disks. Didn't give me any names of anything though, just
>>> lists of numbers. Any more ideas? Thanks.

Patti

System Restore does not have an effect on any user generated stuff.. it only
affects system files.. that is the theory..

Backing up is the traditional way of saying 'save'.. if you have a writable
CD unit, it is always a good idea to save files to CD for which you have no
installable media.. like a light bulb, one day, you power up your system and
nothing happens.. backups (saves) are invaluable during times like these..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"PattiChati" <PattiChati@anywhere.invalid> wrote in message
> People have mentioned a few times of "backing up" files. Do you do this
> by doing a "restore point". My computer does this automatically.
> Unfortunately I couldn't go to the restore point of the day before because
> stuff had been done to my computer that I didn't want to lose. I am
> afraid it is lost and gone forever::(:(
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Wesley
>>
>> I see that the program has the same kind of disclaimers as others do..
>> that even if the file is 'recovered', it may not be in exactly the same
>> form as it was deleted..
>>
>> And to think that there are users who want to turn of the annoying 'are
>> you really sure that you reallly want to do this action' and who refuse
>> to backup files..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/User

>>> This may be a moot point now, but in the future when you delete
>>> something or
>>> empty your Recycle Bin and want to recover something from it... Stop
>>> using
>>> the computer now. Your recovery chances are better if the file has not
>>> been
>>> overwritten.
>>>
>>> This is free.
>>>
>>> Restoration Version 2.5.14 Author: Brian Kato
>>> http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/RESTORATION.html
>>>
>>> Description
>>> [[Restore files which are deleted from the recycle bin or deleted while
>>> holding down the Shift key by mistake. Conversely, this program has
>>> another
>>> function that makes it almost impossible to restore all deleted files.
>>> You
>>> can use it after deletion of confidential documents, embarrassing files
>>> and
>>> so on.]]
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:OUU0NBgoFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>>> PattiChati <PattiChati@anywhere.invalid> hunted and pecked:

Wesley

You and I have practices in common other that I don't have the warning when
SHIFT- Deleting.. :) .. and yes, I have had a few 'phhhted' files over
time..

The file overwriting is 'luck of the draw' stuff.. if you are lucky, new
things are written to completely empty bits of the drive..

I do not believe in luck, mainly because I don't have any unless it is of
the bad variety.. the last time, I lost music files.. well, I say lost..
they formed medleys, quite large medleys where the first part might be the
soothing sound of Pachabel, morphing (kind of.. ok crashing) into Black
Sabbath's Cornucopia, and rounding off with The Highland Wedding
(bagpipes).. BTW, this was the good part of the luck at the time..
everything else was gone

Then I remembered that I had saved a bunch of stuff to another computer..
yeehaaa, I had backups

> Hi Mike,
>
> The way I understand it, deleted files can be partially overwritten,
> that's
> what causes the damage. And of course if they are completely overwritten,
> phhht, they're gone.
>
> I use Shift + Delete all the time, but I do have the delete confirmation
> dialog set to display. Any of us can get distracted by something or
> whatever and make a mistake.
>
> I, like many of us make backups, but not often enough so that if right now
> my hard drive went South, I'd be in trouble. Note to self: Update backups
> today.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:OXO6AAnoFHA.3304@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> hunted and pecked:
>> Wesley
>>
>> I see that the program has the same kind of disclaimers as others do..
>> that even if the file is 'recovered', it may not be in exactly the same
>> form as it was deleted..
>>
>> And to think that there are users who want to turn of the annoying 'are
>> you really sure that you reallly want to do this action' and who refuse
>> backup files..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/User

>>> This may be a moot point now, but in the future when you delete
>>> something
>>> or
>>> empty your Recycle Bin and want to recover something from it... Stop
>>> using
>>> the computer now. Your recovery chances are better if the file has not
>>> been
>>> overwritten.
>>>
>>> This is free.
>>>
>>> Restoration Version 2.5.14 Author: Brian Kato
>>> http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/RESTORATION.html
>>>
>>> Description
>>> [[Restore files which are deleted from the recycle bin or deleted while
>>> holding down the Shift key by mistake. Conversely, this program has
>>> another
>>> function that makes it almost impossible to restore all deleted files.
>>> You
>>> can use it after deletion of confidential documents, embarrassing files
>>> and
>>> so on.]]
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:OUU0NBgoFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>>> PattiChati <PattiChati@anywhere.invalid> hunted and pecked:

Hi Mike,

Black Sabbath to bagpipes. <LOL> Your music tastes seem to be eclectic
like mine.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23D48qgpoFHA.1372@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> hunted and pecked:
> Wesley
>
> You and I have practices in common other that I don't have the warning
> when SHIFT- Deleting.. :) .. and yes, I have had a few 'phhhted' files
> over time..
>
> The file overwriting is 'luck of the draw' stuff.. if you are lucky, new
> things are written to completely empty bits of the drive..
>
> I do not believe in luck, mainly because I don't have any unless it is of
> the bad variety.. the last time, I lost music files.. well, I say lost..
> they formed medleys, quite large medleys where the first part might be the
> soothing sound of Pachabel, morphing (kind of.. ok crashing) into Black
> Sabbath's Cornucopia, and rounding off with The Highland Wedding
> (bagpipes).. BTW, this was the good part of the luck at the time..
> everything else was gone
>
> Then I remembered that I had saved a bunch of stuff to another computer..
> yeehaaa, I had backups
>
> Note to self: Update backups today. :)
>

> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User

>> Hi Mike,
>>
>> The way I understand it, deleted files can be partially overwritten,
>> that's
>> what causes the damage. And of course if they are completely
>> overwritten, phhht, they're gone.
>>
>> I use Shift + Delete all the time, but I do have the delete confirmation
>> dialog set to display. Any of us can get distracted by something or
>> whatever and make a mistake.
>>
>> I, like many of us make backups, but not often enough so that if right
>> now my hard drive went South, I'd be in trouble. Note to self: Update
>> backups today.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:OXO6AAnoFHA.3304@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
>> Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> hunted and pecked:
>>> Wesley
>>>
>>> I see that the program has the same kind of disclaimers as others do..
>>> that even if the file is 'recovered', it may not be in exactly the same
>>> form as it was deleted..
>>>
>>> And to think that there are users who want to turn of the annoying 'are
>>> you really sure that you reallly want to do this action' and who refuse
>>> backup files..
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mike Hall
>>> MVP - Windows Shell/User

Wesley

Eclectic?.. is that what you call it when a lead riff turns into the sound
of the piper filling the bag and getting comfortable?.. lol.. varied tastes
is one thing but to have the whole lot joined up into a file size that
challenges the IT/Professional download of SP2?.. now that's another..

It was an interesting exercise in file recovery.. needless to say, I
summarily dumped the recovered files.. two per CD just didn't sit right,
somehow, and the sudden changes in tempo scared the hell out of me..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

> Hi Mike,
>
> Black Sabbath to bagpipes. <LOL> Your music tastes seem to be eclectic
> like mine.
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:%23D48qgpoFHA.1372@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
> Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> hunted and pecked:
>> Wesley
>>
>> You and I have practices in common other that I don't have the warning
>> when SHIFT- Deleting.. :) .. and yes, I have had a few 'phhhted' files
>> over time..
>>
>> The file overwriting is 'luck of the draw' stuff.. if you are lucky, new
>> things are written to completely empty bits of the drive..
>>
>> I do not believe in luck, mainly because I don't have any unless it is of
>> the bad variety.. the last time, I lost music files.. well, I say lost..
>> they formed medleys, quite large medleys where the first part might be
>> the
>> soothing sound of Pachabel, morphing (kind of.. ok crashing) into Black
>> Sabbath's Cornucopia, and rounding off with The Highland Wedding
>> (bagpipes).. BTW, this was the good part of the luck at the time..
>> everything else was gone
>>
>> Then I remembered that I had saved a bunch of stuff to another computer..
>> yeehaaa, I had backups
>>
>> Note to self: Update backups today. :)
>>

>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/User

>>> Hi Mike,
>>>
>>> The way I understand it, deleted files can be partially overwritten,
>>> that's
>>> what causes the damage. And of course if they are completely
>>> overwritten, phhht, they're gone.
>>>
>>> I use Shift + Delete all the time, but I do have the delete confirmation
>>> dialog set to display. Any of us can get distracted by something or
>>> whatever and make a mistake.
>>>
>>> I, like many of us make backups, but not often enough so that if right
>>> now my hard drive went South, I'd be in trouble. Note to self: Update
>>> backups today.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:OXO6AAnoFHA.3304@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
>>> Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> hunted and pecked:

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 15:25:20 -0400, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"

>The file overwriting is 'luck of the draw' stuff.. if you are lucky, new
>things are written to completely empty bits of the drive..

The odds are far better if you keep your data on a HD volume other
than C:, and leave C: to the constant stream of write traffic that's
so likely to cause that damage (Temp, web cache, pagefile, spooler...)

The most accurate diagnostic instrument
in medicine is the Retrospectoscope