Diagnostic and repair programs/tools

Does anyone know if there are any free system diagnostic or fault finding and
restore/fixing programs available?It seems absurd to me that I can`t just
find and run something that works along these lines and is freely available
to download and use.
Many Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about diagnostic repair programs tools

    Do you know of a "diagnostic or fault finding and restore/fixing" tool for
    your car? Free or otherwise? Me neither. First you have to diagnose your
    car's problem, or bring the car to someone who can diagnose the problem. A
    computer is no different.

    So...what problem(s) are you experiencing?

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    "novvo" <novvo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know if there are any free system diagnostic or fault finding
    and
    > restore/fixing programs available?It seems absurd to me that I can`t just
    > find and run something that works along these lines and is freely
    available
    > to download and use.
    > Many Thanks.

    Thanks for your reply Ted,
    I do take the point you`re making but disagree in that I think microsoft
    should make available the necessary! However,I`ll leave all that for some
    other time and place.
    My problems have been in that I could not log out although I could do so
    from one of my childrens` accounts.I did manage to sort this out by
    re-installing SoundBlaster but then I kept getting a small box with an X on a
    red background each time I logged in,although it would not tell me what
    for.This I also rectified by restoring to an earlier time etc but I keep
    getting small "beep" noises and "program not responding" signals and a
    similar stalling of my computer without a message.It`s V.V.frustrating.
    Anyhow,once again,Many Thanks.

    "Ted Zieglar" wrote:

    > Do you know of a "diagnostic or fault finding and restore/fixing" tool for
    > your car? Free or otherwise? Me neither. First you have to diagnose your
    > car's problem, or bring the car to someone who can diagnose the problem. A
    > computer is no different.
    >
    > So...what problem(s) are you experiencing?
    >
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar
    > "You can do it if you try."
    >
    > "novvo" <novvo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Does anyone know if there are any free system diagnostic or fault finding
    > and
    > > restore/fixing programs available?It seems absurd to me that I can`t just
    > > find and run something that works along these lines and is freely
    > available
    > > to download and use.
    > > Many Thanks.

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 15:27:03 -0700, "novvo"

    >My problems have been in that I could not log out although I could do so
    >from one of my childrens` accounts.I did manage to sort this out by
    >re-installing SoundBlaster but then I kept getting a small box with an X on a
    >red background each time I logged in,although it would not tell me what
    >for.This I also rectified by restoring to an earlier time etc but I keep
    >getting small "beep" noises and "program not responding" signals and a
    >similar stalling of my computer without a message.It`s V.V.frustrating.

    Sounds nasty. Was the history anything like this:
    - install sound card and drivers, all is happy
    - install SP2 or other "big" patch
    - problems begin...

    If so, check Creative's web site for FAQ or other info about
    compatibility with SP2 or whatever, and look for new (but not so new
    as to be "beta") drivers appropriate for your hardware there.

    Or was it something like this:
    - install sound card and drivers, all is happy
    - install drivers from Windows Update
    - problems begin...

    Lesson there is: Render unto Caeser. I would never use drivers (as
    opposed to OS code or patches) from Windows Update, and in fact unless
    I had a specific problem to fix, I would not pick a fight with device
    drivers (e.g. download even the vendor's drivers, simply because there
    are newer ones available) at all.

    Or was it something like this:
    - install sound card and drivers, all is happy
    - install some game, which may slipstream a new DirectX
    - problems begin...

    The common theme is: What changed? It may be as obvious as above, or
    subtle, such as files "fixed" by AutoChk after a bad exit, or ChkDsk,
    or "cleaned" of malware by your av - or malware itself, of course.

    The most accurate diagnostic instrument
    in medicine is the Retrospectoscope

Download Microsoft Windows XP