TRossi85

Honorable
Feb 26, 2012
I've recently built a Rig (I'll post specs on bottom) and I was having no problems until i started playing Terra and Star Wars. My neighbor who's computer is about 6 years old now, runs these games better then mine. We have the same internet from the same company, both connected through Ethernet cables. Anyways while playing these games the loading screens are very, very long. He beats me by a good 30 seconds to a minute. Also while running the game just starts to have a lot of lag spikes then at it will go away come back. I've gone and updated all of my drivers. I just can't seem to find the problem. Any feedback would be great thank you.

GeForce GTX 480
CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX750 (CMPSU-750AX) 750W ATX12V
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155
VelociRaptor WD 300gb
BigFoot Killer controller

If you guys need anymore information I will try to provide it.

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
first off all you must see what graphics he is playing, if you set the graphics to low settings the game loads will be faster and the frames per second will be higher, so probably he is playing with low graphics and low resolution? try setting your graphics to a low level (same as your friend if you can) and use the same resolution, than you can compare, also be warned that games with DX11 effect will be much more demanding than games without it, if he is using a 6 years old graphics card probably he is not using dx11...

just try tweaking graphics that you will have good frames, see what settings your friend is using than you can compare performance in 2 computers...

agree with ricardois, just because he's loading faster isn't a fair comparison.

get his specs and the video settings he's playing on and compare to yours, I bet you'll find reasonable discrepancies that will explain the load time and performance differences.

TRossi85

Honorable
Feb 26, 2012
Allright we are both playing on high video settings when this was happening. I already tried lowering to a low detail and I am still getting these same issues. Yes he only uses direct 9c while I have direct 11x loaded onto my computer.

envymert

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011

Thats exactly what they are saying ....dx9 and dx 11 are VASTLY different. So you are loading more graphics ...think tessalation and effects to that nature than he is. Also what speeds are your Harddrives? If he has something like a raptor and you have a 7200 rpm HD which is standard that will make a difference too. If you have a 5400 rpm drive it could be super slow.

In any event I wouldnt worry, I have a 2500k at 4.8ghz and SWTOR installed on my SSD harddrive and SWTOR loads take forever. Also Id like to know what video card he has .... a 6 year old computer running SWTOR in DX9 on High ? ! ?

envymert

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011

hrmm interesting your HD is much faster than his but yeah I think its solely the difference in SWTOR loading DX9 vs DX11. On tatoinne even with my SSD I still wait like 30 secs to load the damn zone .....I can boot my computer from off to windows and load a webpage before I can load some zones in SWTOR ....its annoying I know :eek:

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
HD speed will give you no performance changes in gameplay, you can see faster loading times, that is it...

Does SWTOR uses dx11? if yes, just disable it and see the performance differences, the performance drop is extreme, so probably this is the difference (if the game uses it).

i don't know any dx9 card more powerfull than a 480 so probably it is the dx11 you can disable it and than compare the differences, if you wan't to play at good fps in DX11 just lower other settings of the game tweaking it up to you get good graphics and a good performance.