folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
The new P4 machine I built is making a very high pitched squealing sound when I do large transfers over the network. I did some file copying on my local disks just to make sure it wasn't the hard drives, it isnt. It only happens when I do file transfers over the network. I have never heard of a squealing nic and frankly I don't see how it is possible but that seems to be the only additional thing that is bein used when the squealing occurs.
I left the side of my case off to listen for it and it does sound like it is comming from the general nic area so it must be either the nic or the nic interfering with something.
Any Ideas?
Specs:
Pentium 4 3.06Ghz
Gigabyte GA-8INXP (Intel Pro1000 MT adapter)
2x Western Digital 36.7GB SATA Raptor (Raid0)
Maxtor 120GB 7200rpm 8mb cache
(aditional specs and pics can be found on my sig)

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
I vaguely remember something like this happening to me a few years ago. I don't know if its a bad nic, or just a loose connection, but I guess the real reason I posted was to let you know that I've heard that before... just don't remember any details... so you're not going mad -- well, no comment 'cause I'm already mad... :) ...

I think it's either a short somewhere (try blowing canned air in/around the NIC - maybe a bit of dust is causing a short) or interference from the clock generator on the nic.... but I could be full of hot air too.

Mike.

tcsdoc

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2005
Your NIC is defective, but not bad. This explains why you can use the card but tranfers induce interference causing the 'squeal'. Replace the card. If it's an onboard chip, disable the chip (bios or jumper) and install a NIC.