Can the Tritton Detonator (XBOX 360 headset) work on PC?

TheMetal

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Hi guys,

I'm wondering if it's possible to use my newly purchased Tritton Detonator (supposed to be for XBOX 360), on my PC.

I can hook it up directly without any adapters to the audio jack, but the point of these headphones it that I'm supposed to be able to hear my own voice when I chat on my mic.

If anyone's similar with this headset, is there a way to get these headphones working (with the mic)?

TheMetal

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
So, can anyone give a shot at this answer?

I was able to get the entire unit working with the USB powered unit, but my PC doesn't seem to want to register my mic.

Do I need a *specific* mic cord?

G

I really want to know the answer to this and how :(I've just bought some for £60 and i want to use on my pc not xbox!

donble12

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
it does work, i used a wired xbox360 controller to connect to the PC and it will automatically recognize the mic when you plug the Tritton Detonator into the controller. and thats how i use Tritton Detonator mic on PC:) hopefully that helps

TheMetal

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Hey donble, can you post a pic, or explain better? I've never even held an Xbox 360 controller being a PC gamer, so I'm not familiar with what you described at all.

boyer2017

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Not sure if this will work but heres a solution for WINDOWS 7! (As I use windows 7 I only know how to do this on windows 7) First. Right click sound (sound control icon in the bottom right hand corner of your screen) and click recording devices. Second. Right click headset mic and click set as default device and default communication device. Third. Test. If it works let me know :D

kaydenn

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013
What I did was, I had an extra astro mixamp from 2 years back, so I plugged the mixamp into the pc, then plugged the headset cable into the mixamp, then the red and white cable in the back. Really simple but expensive if you don't already have an amp. Really makes it better for gaming with the amp though :)

SoapMacTavish

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013

You don't even need a mixamp. I actually made a thread regarding the Detonators a few weeks back I think.

You need 2 male stereo headphone jacks and a dual RCA to headphone converter. Just plug them all together, put the mic jack into the mic input, the headphone jack into the headphone output and plug the USB cable in. Select the appropriate soundcard as default, and voila, works with any game and any software.

Then just press the SVM button and you can hear yourself perfectly when you speak.

If not, putz around with the microphone boost and volume settings and you're golden.

VoidsShadow

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013

I also have the Tritton Detonator, but I already solved the dilemma. The problem is that the Detonator uses a 3.5mm 4-pole jack (shiny, silver sections on the male jack), allowing both the audio input and output to use the same cord. However, most PCs use separate jacks for microphones and headsets/earbuds which only use 3 poles. Solution number one involves buying a 3.5mm 4-pole female jack. Option number two requires using an audio joiner/splitter which separates the 4-pole line into two 3-pole lines. Either way, you'll have to pay.

Splitter/joiner
http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/916583103/2-in-1-Audio-adapter-cable-3-5mm-male-3-pole-to-3-5mm-female-4.jpg

Female jack/socket: http://www.amazon.com/Gino-Female-Headphone-Connector-Adapter/dp/B00DC4VGHC

The only caveat I've had with the joiner is that the mic input is converted from mono to stereo rather poorly. When listening to the microphone playback, no audio is recorded on the right channel. It is only audible on the left channel. For pre-recorded audio, you can separate the channels and delete the right channel, convert the track to mono, or combine the the channels. All options can accomplished in Sony Vegas or Audacity. I have not confirmed whether or not these solution are possible in other programs.