I got a low memory message on my computer that told me I had less than 1GB of
memory left. I've tried everything from disk cleanup to defrag (which by the
way won't work because I don't have enough free space). I started checking my
folders to find out where the memory is and I found that 92GB is being stored
in the Temp folder inside the Windows folder. What is this? Shouldn't the
disk cleanup clear this? If I delete these files, will it kill my computer?
Help, please. I need the memory bad.

Job no. 1: Remove the viruses and/or spyware from your computer.

P.S. You can safely delete the contents of ...\windows\temp after you
restart your computer. However, the viruses/spyware will fill it up again in
no time.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"PurenergyDJ" <PurenergyDJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I got a low memory message on my computer that told me I had less than 1GB
of
> memory left. I've tried everything from disk cleanup to defrag (which by
the
> way won't work because I don't have enough free space). I started checking
my
> folders to find out where the memory is and I found that 92GB is being
stored
> in the Temp folder inside the Windows folder. What is this? Shouldn't the
> disk cleanup clear this? If I delete these files, will it kill my
computer?
> Help, please. I need the memory bad.

A couple of other suggestions:
1) Clear your IE cache using Tools-Internet Options in Internet Explorer
2) Reduce the amount of disk space being used by System Restore. Right
click on My Computer ->Properties -> System Restore and move the slider to
the left. I keep mine at about 2%.

These two things will free up space on your HD.

#1: Your error message was obviously with respect to low disk space
(storage) and not low memory (RAM).

#2. Windows XP would not normally use the \Windows\Temp folder, so I
suspect that you may have some malfunctioning application or other
installed that is using this folder. Any Norton/Symantec products
installed? These are justifiably renowned for doing this type of
thing.

You could try deleting the files in the \Windows\Temp folder and see
what happens. But first check and see if there is any pattern to the
files that are in this folder. Look for things like similar file
names, large numbers of files with the same size, and so forth. That
may help to pinpoint the actual culprit.

"Genuine" temporary files (meaning ones created by Windows itself and
by properly programmed, well behaved applications) in Windows XP will
be found in the C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Local
Settings\Temp folder, and that is the one that will be emptied out by
Disk Cleanup.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--