Sign in with
Your question

Problem with Intel(R) PRO/1000 CT Network adapter

Last response: in Components
March 6, 2005 4:49:11 AM

Hey guys

I am having trouble getting the Intel(R) PRO/1000 CT network adapter built into my motherboard (A Gigabyte GA-8KNXP version 1) to work with my Optus cable connection. Windows XP says that it is installed and working properly but every time I plug the cat 5 cable into it from my cable modem it was says “limited or no connectivity” But when I plug it into my second network card it works fine.

Anyone have any ideas on how I could possibly fix this?

Thanks in advance.
March 8, 2005 7:49:46 PM

I'm finding this to be an answer to too many things.
Set your NIC to 100/full. I've had problems using the intel nic where it's trying to negotiable gigabit instead of dropping to 10/100.

Riser
March 9, 2005 11:40:21 PM

I believe newer cable connections are MAC address filtered. You will have to call your ISP and have them reset the mac address they have on record before you can plug the modem into a new network card.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
Related resources
March 14, 2005 4:04:42 PM

In most cases they update MAC addresses every 4 hours so if you let it sit over night or for the 4 hours, it should be good. I didn't read the thing right.. good eye on catching that.

Riser
November 10, 2005 8:22:29 PM

The 'limited or no connection' message could also indicate an ip conflict or the inability to get an ip address if dhcp is used. You might want to run a cmd windows and type 'ipconfig -all' to confirm your settings.
March 17, 2006 2:06:34 PM

Yeah, usually indicates an invalid 169.254.xxx.xxx address is being given to the PC.

Well, I class it them as invalid :p 

Just set your PC to: 192.168.000.050 if it is your only PC, and check with ISP / documentation regarding the cable modem.
!