C&C Generals soundproblems

I have this problem: In Generals the sound dosnt work, except at the beginning in the intro-video an also in the videos at the beginning of a new campaigne, but as soon as I start to play, the sound is gone. I only sometimes hear a short sound which alsways repeats itself and is often only to hear w/ the speakers at max. volume.

What I have already tried:

Reinstall Generals
Patch Generals to newest version (1.6)
Reinstall DirectX (w/ DirectX Buster in Safe Mode)
Install DirecX 8.1 and 9.0a (deinstallation was always w/ DirectX Buster in Safe Mode)
Reinstall onboard sounddriver
Use older sounddriver (version 1.14 from the mobo-CD)
First uninstall Generals, than uninstall DirectX, than reinstall sounddriver, than reinstall Generals, than reinstall DirectX

I ran SFC before I first installed Generals because of a different problem I had (Settings: search deleted and changed files, search hole Windows-folder, rest:default) and restored 6 files. I also found a lot files, where date, daytime and size were identical, but the version number was replaced by a newer one. All these files were also in .cab files in the Win98-CD, and the files on the CD alwys had the older version. Most of these files were in the C:\WINDOWS\VCM directory. Should I also restore this files?

What also could maybe be imprtant: I disabled the config.sys and autoexec.bat in msconfig, because otherwise windows crashes when loading the desktop iconjs or shprtly before or afterwards.

I also found out, that the gameport driver was the only Audio-driver which was updated between version 1.14 and 2.41 (I installed the drivers over the device manager because the automatic setup-wizard alsway crashed and when I used the driverfile for 2.41 it sayed for all drivers except gameport, that the old driver will be continued to be used).

After I reinstalled Generals after patching to 1.6, Generals alsway crashed when I tried to start it, and next to the Generals-Window in the task bar I could see "Technical Difficulties". After i reinstaled it again, everything was like before again.

My Software:
Win 98SE
DirectX 8.1
Detonator 44.03
nForce2 Driver: 2.41

Hardware: see Sig.

AMD Athlon XP 2700+
Epox 8rda+
Thermaltake Volcano 7+
2x256 MB PC2700
Creative GeForce 4 Ti 4800 (4600 Chip)
Chieftech Case
WD 80GB/8MB HDD
16x48 DVD-ROM
20x10x32 Burner
10 answers Last reply
More about generals soundproblems
  1. try increasing your PCI Latency in your Bios...

Intel Pentium 4 - 400Mhz FSB - 2.4Ghz
    - 1152mb pc-133 - Ati Radeon 9700 128Mb
  2. I increased the PCI latency from 32 to 255 (max.) in the BIOS, and the only thing, that changed is, that the ea-games-challenge everything sound at the beginning was normal.

AMD Athlon XP 2700+
    Epox 8rda+
    Thermaltake Volcano 7+
    2x256 MB PC2700
    Chieftech Case
    WD 80GB/8MB HDD
    16x48 DVD-ROM
    20x10x32 Burner
  3. have you installed the newest directx (v.9b)?

Try downloading another sounddriver (eg. for an older or another model)...

Get winxp or win2k...

4. I havent tried DirectX 9.0b, but I will. I have however tried 9.0, 9.0a and 8.1.

I dont know which other sounddriver Is compatible w/ nForce, so that I can try to use it.

I would have to reformat my HDD to use WinXP/2k, because I only have one partition now. A comlplete reinstall would take very long (needed nearly one week until everything was installed at the begeinning). I also would use 2k/XP only as secondary os, because a lot old games dont even work in XP, and I am used to win98, and it would take very long until I would be as good in XP/2k as I am now in 98.

AMD Athlon XP 2700+
    Epox 8rda+
    Thermaltake Volcano 7+
    2x256 MB PC2700
    Chieftech Case
    WD 80GB/8MB HDD
    16x48 DVD-ROM
    20x10x32 Burner
  5. hmm... it they are the same language versions you could do an upgrade... just stick your win2k/xp cd in while running win98. No programs or files lost.. no big hassle, just chain-smoke for about half-an-hour and you are there ;)

I don't know much about the nForce chips, sorry. I was counting on you having ac'97, which has like a zillion different drivers over the web.

Another possibility could be to pick up another soundcard.. they go from about 14€.

6. hmm... it they are the same language versions you could do an upgrade... just stick your win2k/xp cd in while running win98. No programs or files lost.. no big hassle, just chain-smoke for about half-an-hour and you are there ;)

I don't know much about the nForce chips, sorry. I was counting on you having ac'97, which has like a zillion different drivers over the web.

Let us know how you do with dx9b

Another possibility could be to pick up another soundcard.. they go from about 14€.

7. "hmm... it they are the same language versions you could do an upgrade... just stick your win2k/xp cd in while running win98. No programs or files lost.. no big hassle, just chain-smoke for about half-an-hour and you are there ;)"

The problem is, that I have only one partition now, so I would have to use fdisk again and reformat and install WinXP.

"Let us know how you do with dx9b"

dx9b didnt change anything.

"Another possibility could be to pick up another soundcard.. they go from about 14€."

Yes, but I would need a 5.1 soundcard to make use of my speaker system, and 5.1 soundcards cost at least about 30$.

I have now changed the hardware acceleration for the sound chip to Basic, and now the Sound in generals works, but I still have problems when playing DVDs.

See here:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/software/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=37535#37535

AMD Athlon XP 2700+
    Epox 8rda+
    Thermaltake Volcano 7+
    2x256 MB PC2700
    Chieftech Case
    WD 80GB/8MB HDD
    16x48 DVD-ROM
    20x10x32 Burner
  8. I tried to change the hardware acceleration for my OnBoard Sound. (Control Panel > Sounds and Multimedia > Audio > Sound Playback > Advanced > Performance > Hardware acceleration). The videos are played normal when set the accelleration to "None" or "Basic", but then the sound is only 3.1 instead of 5.1 when playing DVDs (the front speaqkers and the subwoofer work, but the back speakers dont), but when I test my speakers w/ the nForce Tray Program or play C&C Generals (didnt try other games yet, all speakers work. So it seems to be a DirectSound problem, because the next acceleration step after basic also includes DirectSound.

Does anyone know a program, which enables 5.1 sound for DVDs w/o using DirectSound?

I have installed and uninstalled DirectX many times, but it didnt solved the problem. I used DirectX Buster in safe mode, but there were still a few dx*.* files left in the C:\WINDOWS folder and subfolders. Should I try to also delete them and and reinstall directX afterwards?

AMD Athlon XP 2700+
    Epox 8rda+
    Thermaltake Volcano 7+
    2x256 MB PC2700
    Chieftech Case
    WD 80GB/8MB HDD
    16x48 DVD-ROM
    20x10x32 Burner
  9. re-installing dx is not really required unless in tells you to, I know that creative have surroundmixer-programs... I suppose the same will go for the n-force soundsystem. You did make windows (control panel) run 5.1 speakersystem or is that not included i win98?

10. have a great time at c&c though =)

Ask a new question

Read More

Directx Video Games