PCI-NIC Detection Problem.

cyphex

Distinguished
May 21, 2005
Well, I've been having trouble connecting to the Internet for about a month now, off and on.

For some strange reason, my computer refuses to detect the ethernet cable connected to it, thus, my computer fails to see any connectivity, resulting in a "A network cable is unplugged" icon to remain in my taskbar. I've already tried switching cables, and that didn't work.

I began thinking that perhaps the problem is due to corrupted drivers. I booted into Safe Mode, and uninstalled the NIC device from my machine, and reinstalled the drivers, no go.

Well finally, I started to come to the conclusion that perhaps my onboard NIC just decided to die. So, I went to CompUSA and picked up a cheap $10 NIC. When I got home, I once again booted into Safe mode, uninstalled the onboard NIC device, and I also went into the BIOS and disabled "Onboard Ethernet." Once that was all finished, I installed the new NIC into an available PCI slot, booted up the machine, installed the included drivers, and... Windows XP fails to detect it.

I'm sure you can imagine how frustrated I was, but I decided to remain calm and go back to CompUSA and pick up a different NIC from another company. And Windows XP, yet again... fails to detect the new NIC. Ergh! I felt like throwing the monitor. But guess what! when I took out the new NIC, my old onboard NIC decides to start working again! YAY! Except it quits working again after a week... and then mysteriously works again! YAY! And then quits working again.

I'm at a complete loss as to what I should do. I appreciate any help on this conundrum I've been experiencing for about a month now.

(Edit: I forgot to mention that the computer I'm having trouble with is connecting to a wireless router, a D-Link DI-624, which also doesn't detect any connectivity either. (No LED lights up,) I don't suspect the router to be apart of the issue as I've been experiencing this problem when I would connect it straight to the Cable Modem.)

Anyway, here are my system specs:

Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.53 GHZ.
512 MB DDR Ram. 80 GB HDD.
Geforce 4 MX 440. (no kidding.)
VIA VT6103 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet Adapter.
ECS P4VXASD2+. (»ecsusa.com/products/p4vxasd2_v5_plus.h..)
VIA VT8235 South Bridge.

riser

Illustrious
So are you connecting this PC over a wire or wireless? Your whole post talks about a wired connection and then you edit to say you're using wireless??

Keep your onboard nic enabled but try putting in your PCI NIC. It should detect it as long as it's seated correctly.
You are using a standard Ethenet cable (not a cross over)?

For wireless, are you using any encryption? How far from the WAP/wRouter? Any walls in the way?

Do you have a strong signal?

What kind of wireless nic are you using?

Are you using XP to configure the wireless connection or the software that came with the wireless nic?

mjjohn

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
Same Problem.....My daughters pc with a KT4V motherboard with a VIA VT6103 LAN controller has ceased to function. WinXP reports that the eathernet adapter is installed and working correctly. On the task bar is the icon showing that there is no network connection. I have checked all the cables with cable diagnostics tester. I also ran a new cable through the house to try it. No luck. My question is, can XP see the adapter as working fine but still have there something wrong at the connector? I did check the connector on the motherboard with a magnifying glass and all the contacts look ok. If I need to install a PCI NIC what would you reccomend.

Thanks

For it is not what is seen, but what is not seen. :eek:

riser

Illustrious
Sidenote on your problem..

You might want to try setting the NIC to 100/full or 10/Full to see if the connection starts working. If the NIC has a problem and you're connecting into a router or a switch, it might have problems auto-negotiating.

You can change the settings in the device manager, properties of the network card, and there is a tab which is usually: Link speed & Duplex.

100/full or 10/full is all the I would recommend, aside from AutoNegotiate.

tcsdoc

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2005
You could still have driver issues and possibly a problem with Windows itself. You need to run SFC on your C: to test your core files. Check device manager for Non-PNP drivers and possible 'ghost' drivers interfering with your existing drivers. Check to make sure Windows Authentication is turned off.