How do I move documents and settings to another location o..

August 17, 2005 9:49:18 PM

How can I change the Documents and Settings folder on my XP Pro workstation.
Default for all users is C:\Documents and Settings\User name\...

I want this off my C: drive and put else where.
I am running this computer in a peer to peer network.

I've looked at the group policy stuff, but it seems it is appropriate only
for moving stuff onto a server.

Thanks
Finecats.
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 5:05:57 AM

> How can I change the Documents and Settings folder on my XP Pro
> workstation. Default for all users is C:\Documents and Settings\User
> name\...
>
> I want this off my C: drive and put else where.
> I am running this computer in a peer to peer network.
>
> I've looked at the group policy stuff, but it seems it is appropriate
> only for moving stuff onto a server.
>
> Thanks
> Finecats.

1. Click Start - Right click 'My Documents' - Select 'Show On Desktop'
2. You should now have a 'My Documents' folder on your desktop.
3. right click the 'My Documents' folder on your desktop and select
'Properties'
4. A dialogue box will come up - Select the 'Target' tab
5. Make sure that the contents are moved to the new location.
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 1:14:35 PM

Hi

Please have a look at the following MS article:

"An error message informs you that you cannot move or rename the Documents
and Settings folder"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314843

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Larry Dick" <LarryDick@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:o n8er64oFHA.1044@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> How can I change the Documents and Settings folder on my XP Pro
> workstation.
> Default for all users is C:\Documents and Settings\User name\...
>
> I want this off my C: drive and put else where.
> I am running this computer in a peer to peer network.
>
> I've looked at the group policy stuff, but it seems it is appropriate only
> for moving stuff onto a server.
>
> Thanks
> Finecats.

August 19, 2005 7:20:32 AM

AKAIK you cannot move the whole of "Documents and Settings".

What you can do is move some things from within user account profiles,
such as My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, My Videos, Desktop.

The easiest way to do this is by rt-dragging to a new location, then
clicking Move, then renaming the dir. This is tracked by the OS
fairly effectively, which updates registry accordingly.

However, any already-derived paths from the shell folder you moved,
will not change, and a search and edit via NirSoft's Registry Scanner,
or successive Find in Regedit, will be needed.

For example, let's say you want a small fast C: for the system, safer
data storage on D:, and the bloated stuff on E:.You'd rt-drag "My
Pictures" to E: and then click Move, then rename to taste, doing the
same with My Music and My Videos. Then you might rt-drag the
remainder of My Documents to D: and rename it to taste.

However, if you had already installed a media player or few, and these
had defined their own paths based on the value of My Music at the
time, then these will still point into the original location on C: -
also, any MRUs listing recently-played songs will do the same.

You can just manually do the Regedit thing, but I find these wretched
shell folders tend to slip back to duhfaults (possibly due to the
"special" Desktop.ini still being in the old locations).

Another option is to use TweakUI for XP or similar, as these have an
UI through which shell folder paths can be changed.

Careful with AllUsers, though - the "shared" folders are just about
impossible to move, and keed defaulting back to C:

>------------ ----- --- -- - - - -
Drugs are usually safe. Inject? (Y/n)
>------------ ----- --- -- - - - -
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 2:22:01 AM

Will,
I have tried this solution on my computer, but can't get it to work. First I
installed Windows XP HE SP1. Then I created a file called "unattend.txt" and
put it on the rook directory of drive C:\. Then I ran WINNT.EXE from the CD
with the /unattend parameter as specified in the document. I always get a
syntax error on line 2 message.

Don
--
- Birds are God's gift of beauty to the world -

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Please have a look at the following MS article:
>
> "An error message informs you that you cannot move or rename the Documents
> and Settings folder"
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314843
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Larry Dick" <LarryDick@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> news:o n8er64oFHA.1044@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > How can I change the Documents and Settings folder on my XP Pro
> > workstation.
> > Default for all users is C:\Documents and Settings\User name\...
> >
> > I want this off my C: drive and put else where.
> > I am running this computer in a peer to peer network.
> >
> > I've looked at the group policy stuff, but it seems it is appropriate only
> > for moving stuff onto a server.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Finecats.

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 5:41:32 AM

"=?Utf-8?B?ZGdjNDk=?=" <dgc49@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> Will,
> I have tried this solution on my computer, but can't get it to work.
> First I installed Windows XP HE SP1. Then I created a file called
> "unattend.txt" and put it on the rook directory of drive C:\. Then I
> ran WINNT.EXE from the CD with the /unattend parameter as specified in
> the document. I always get a syntax error on line 2 message.
>
> Don

If you're willing to invest some time and do a clean-install look here for
instructions:

http://unattended.msfn.org/index.htm

They talk about how to make a customized setup disk and other means of
customizing your XP-installation.
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 7:23:02 AM

This appears to be what I am looking for. Will keep you informed. Thanks.

Don
--

"John Smithe" wrote:

> "=?Utf-8?B?ZGdjNDk=?=" <dgc49@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>
> > Will,
> > I have tried this solution on my computer, but can't get it to work.
> > First I installed Windows XP HE SP1. Then I created a file called
> > "unattend.txt" and put it on the rook directory of drive C:\. Then I
> > ran WINNT.EXE from the CD with the /unattend parameter as specified in
> > the document. I always get a syntax error on line 2 message.
> >
> > Don
>
> If you're willing to invest some time and do a clean-install look here for
> instructions:
>
> http://unattended.msfn.org/index.htm
>
> They talk about how to make a customized setup disk and other means of
> customizing your XP-installation.

June 3, 2009 10:53:55 PM

I know its too late now but I actually found a simple and detailed solution at the following link. Moving Documents and Settings Folder .
Please remember this is not my post. I only came across it surfing around. So props to whoever put it up.
Lets see if the person who posted this thread is still around or not. Cool.
!