Jasonski

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
Having just built a BRAND New system designed specifically for gaming:

Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3
i5 2500K
Gigabyte HD6970 OC 2GB
G.Skill RipjawsX F3-12800CL8D 8Gb

I have now discovered, like many many others that BF3 freezes & dumps sporadically after a short time of play. Now I have read that multiple varying threads regarding this frustrating issue both here on Tom's & also over the Net, but my concern is that although there appears to be many many suggestions on how to 'maybe' fix this...........which one is right?

What is the real issue here?
Why are there sooooo many different suggestions that seem to work for some, but not others?

I don't want to just aimlessly start changing the various setting etc in the blind hope that it 'might' work!

Why can no-one, EA included, be specific as to the actual issue? This problem has obviously been around for quite a few months now; surely someone has figured it out once & for all. PLEASE HELP!

The interesting thing here is that prior to building the new system, BF3 ran perfectly on my older system- never crashed, or froze or dumped........ever! My old system was:

Gigabyte P55-USB3
i5 661 3.33Ghz
Gigabyte ATI HD5850 1GB
Kingston HyperX 2000Mhz/4GB

What is going on???? :fou: :fou: :fou: :fou: :fou:

silverliquicity

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
Crashing with BF3, Maybe its hardware configuration.

This is just what i have noticed but people with Nvidia find it easier to fix the problem.
Il find the link to prove that but for now, does playing at low settings cause a problem?

Jasonski

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012

Thanks for your reply Silver!

Yes it freezes in all the different setting & also in both single & multi-player mode.

Any suggestions??

it depends on the system config and the driver config. the way to figure out whats causing the crashes is to read your event logs. each system because there different is likely to show a different error number. this will help you diagnose the issues.
for bf3 on amd gpu based systems its often that the driver your using is just the basic 1 that amd issue every month or so. what you need is there performance drivers. which have specific fixes that arnt needed or can cause instability on other applications other than the games that the performance drivers are issued for...

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Catalyst122Previewdriver.aspx read here for more info.

Jasonski

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012

Thanx Hexit! Nice straight-down-the-line advice.
I downloaded the new driver hopefully it works out.
:)

Major_Trouble

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
We all have different programs running in the background on our PCs which can go on to cause instability. Perhaps you might try eliminating some with Game Booster.

To diagnose I...
1 Run minimum programs
2 Make sure drivers are up to date
3 Check you meet minimum PSU required for your hardware
4 Perform a memory scan to check if defective

These I have found to be the most common causes of crashes. Good luck.

If you are running windows 7 and using the 12.1 drivers...

Known issues under the Windows® 7 operating system

The following section provides a summary of open issues that may be experienced under the Windows 7 operating system in the latest version of AMD Catalyst™. These include:

Call of Duty 4 may experience corruption when run in DirectX 9 mode and the Edge Detect filter is enabled
Portal 2 may generate a black screen when launched in 3D stereo mode.
The Morphological filter settings may be missing in the Vision Control Center.
Civilization V may experience random game crashes.
Forced Anti-Aliasing may not be available when playing Enemy Territory – Quake Wars.
Call of Duty – Black Ops may experience a crash when run in Crossfire mode.
Battlefield 3 may crash when run at ultra settings.
Vsync may be disabled after task switching when playing Rage.
Launching Rage with Crossfire enabled may cause the application to hang.
Random flickering may be observed while playing Battlefield- Bad Company 2.
Saints Row III may hang randomly during gameplay.
Dragons Age 2 may experience random flickering when run in Tri Crossfire mode with Vsync enabled or when run in DirectX 9 mode.
Call of Duty – Modern Warfar

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalystSoftwareSuiteVersion121.aspx

Jasonski

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012

Hi Hexit- no the changes have made no difference.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

The absolute number one by far and away most common cause of BF3 crashes is GPU clocks and voltage. Either increase voltage to your bios limit, or decrease your overclock. BF3 is incredibly picky about overclocks and the problem only becomes pickier, the older the hardware in question is.