jollygrinch

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hi. as soon as i can muster the cash i'm going to ug to a t-bird. just 'cuz it's sort of the ultimate in tweeking i'm planning on overclocking my old athlon (550 --right when they came out) using tom's original guid (without the prefab goldfinger) i was just wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions? other than "don't do it you fool!!!".

Apollo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I overclocked my Athlon (Slot A) 500 MHz successfull to 700 MHz without any problems. Just needed a good heatsink with two fans attached. Then I overclocked 2 other Athlon 500 to 700 without a Problem. But I didn't use the goldfinger but replaced the SMD-resitors on the cpu-board.
All the 3x 500 Athlons I opened were indeed 650 MHz orginal, so overclocking to 700 was not a big task :smile:
Nevertheless, be carefull when opening the cpu case! I sometimes thougt I will break it up coz it needed a good pint of muscle power to open it. But just be carefull and cool. Keep relaxed otherwise you will damage some SMD inside or worser.

Good luck!

Frank

Hasse

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok.. he he Well I gotta tell that the first Athlon cpu's that hit the street were runnin some pretty high temperatures. My Athlon 550 gets so hot, even when using a fan ( hmm medicore fan that is) I cannot touch it. Damn I wonder what my T-bird 1200 will be like.. I need a good fan tho.. been wondering about Thermal Takes Orb fans, but I don't know.. looks cool, but hey.. I want it cooling my cpu, not my image..

G

Hey,

Good luck with the oc'n. As mentioned before be VERY careful. For once it doesn't pay to be the incredible hulk. Anyways, I have a decent silver dual Athlon fan for the original Slot A. It cools very nicley, and I even got greedy and slapped a 3rd fan in their, so no cooling problems here. Try to overclock at maybe 50mhz increments. I usually try to be as safe as possible, but then again my friend always says "Your a damn fool, you can't be safe" But then again i suppose he's jealous cause I got a 1ghz out of my 850....

Good Luck

Timothy Stankus
One of the First AMD Athlon Users =)

G

Give up the Nick you thieving, lying, obnoxious little prick

G

Keep us posted, I have a Classic 700 that I will want to bump a little next month. I have only considered GFDs premade, as I don't feel comfortable with an iron in there<g>.Good Luck!

G

Appolo,

I oc my Athlon 500 (core 650).
Why don't you oc them to 850? I did it and it runs fine!
And it doesn't runs real hot.
Just tweek the voltage a bit.

Greetinx joris

G

what kind of fan should I use ? I have a heat sink with 2 fans (the one that came with the CPU itself ...)

thanks

Simon Ethier
ICQ 2165570

G

>>>Keep us posted, I have a Classic 700 that I will want to bump a little next month. I have only considered GFDs premade, as I don't feel comfortable with an iron in there<g>.Good Luck!<<<

Yeah, me too. i ordered the prefab board from these guys:

http://www.ninjamicros.com/index.html

They seemed to be the best quality. Oh, and I bought one of those Globalwin VOS32. God that thing is huge compared to what I have on my 700 now, guess I'll need it!! Can't wait to see how many MHz I can get out of this thing!!!

Good Luck everybody!!

-Raising the awareness of dumbasses everywhere...