Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Is my Pc balanced for games?

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Video Games
Last response: in PC Gaming
February 28, 2012 4:40:59 PM

Hi! I believe that my pc is balanced enough, but i'm not sure if there is something to upgrade to.. These are the specs;

cpu; C2Q q9400 (@3gh)
ram; 4gb kingnston hyperX ddr3 (1333)
mobo; MSI G41M-P25
gpu; sapphire 6870 (@970 core clock, @1150 memory clock)
hd; Western digital 500gb (wd5000aavs)
psu; thermaltake 500W

I am quite happy with my build up, but is there anything that i could upgrade with not much money (because I consider building a new pc in the near future)?

More about : balanced games

February 28, 2012 5:03:45 PM

I only have one quarrel: that PSU. Thermaltake is a horrible PSU brand. Get one from Corsair, XFX, or Seasonic.
February 28, 2012 5:10:37 PM

Hm.. I never had considered that, thanks for the reply.
Related resources
February 28, 2012 5:33:10 PM

your computer sounds great, if it works then leave it alone.
February 28, 2012 11:32:15 PM

Sounds good to me. Yeah the PSU brand isn't amazing but you shouldn't really have any problems.
February 29, 2012 12:50:18 AM

The theraltake PSU is a peak PSU. I would not try OC'ing and if you have I would watch the all of my hardwear to make sure that nothing is going to the dark side.

Watch your CPU usage and temps same with your GPU. I have a shotty PSU as well. I have to keep tabs on everything. Once you stress your PSU well you could get sparks as another OP got on another thread.

He had a cooler master 450w and he hook every thing up booted up started his OC'ing went into the game and boom sparks smoke and fryed his MOBO and GPU and of course his PSU. I wish you good luck on your new rig.
February 29, 2012 8:22:45 AM

You might want to try another 4gb of ram if you're feeling any sluggish issues - saw a post yesterday, can't find it now, but it mentioned bench marks showing windows 7 performing better with 8gb's of ram.

DM186 said:
The theraltake PSU is a peak PSU. I would not try OC'ing and if you have I would watch the all of my hardwear to make sure that nothing is going to the dark side.

Watch your CPU usage and temps same with your GPU. I have a shotty PSU as well. I have to keep tabs on everything. Once you stress your PSU well you could get sparks as another OP got on another thread.

He had a cooler master 450w and he hook every thing up booted up started his OC'ing went into the game and boom sparks smoke and fryed his MOBO and GPU and of course his PSU. I wish you good luck on your new rig.

My god that would scare the hell out of me. I'd probably cry.
February 29, 2012 9:21:16 AM

It looks ballanced enough. Like was said you might like to try a little more ram. It's dirt cheap at the moment.

The other thing you might want to try is small SSD for your OS and often used programs. I wouldn't be without one now.
February 29, 2012 9:48:38 AM

Yeah it all looks good, save up and build a nice rig. Make sure it will serve you well and buy reputable stuff!
February 29, 2012 5:29:40 PM

DM186 said:
The theraltake PSU is a peak PSU. I would not try OC'ing and if you have I would watch the all of my hardwear to make sure that nothing is going to the dark side.

Watch your CPU usage and temps same with your GPU. I have a shotty PSU as well. I have to keep tabs on everything. Once you stress your PSU well you could get sparks as another OP got on another thread.

He had a cooler master 450w and he hook every thing up booted up started his OC'ing went into the game and boom sparks smoke and fryed his MOBO and GPU and of course his PSU. I wish you good luck on your new rig.



I have coolermaster hyper 212 and in full load after 12 hours (with prime95) the cpu max temp was 61C.. As for the gpu it never runs over 72-73C.. I have installed 5 fans in my case and the air flow is very good.. Thanks for replying DM!!!
February 29, 2012 5:32:35 PM

Major_Trouble said:
It looks ballanced enough. Like was said you might like to try a little more ram. It's dirt cheap at the moment.

The other thing you might want to try is small SSD for your OS and often used programs. I wouldn't be without one now.



I may would buy 2 more gigs of ram.. I also like the ssd option, but unfortunatelly it's way far for my budjet.. Maybe in the future for the new one..:) 
February 29, 2012 11:18:34 PM

Hey you can do what ever you want. All I was trying to do is point out that certian PSU's are very unpredictable. So here are some links about PSU's I hope you understand that we are here to help not tell you what to do.

The thing is you put a lot of money into your rigs and the most important thing in your rig is the PSU. If your PSU is no good you don't have anything. And when PSU's go bad well you loose a lot of money.

So if you want to bank on a shotty PSU then it is totaly on you. I really incourage you to read these links. That way you will have more of an understanding about PSU's. I do wish you good luck on this.

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/322966-28-list-recomm...

http://www.overclock.net/t/738097/psu-review-database

http://support.amd.com/us/certified/power-supplies/Page...
March 1, 2012 9:55:04 AM

Thanks for helping man.. I made a ''scan" in the links above.. I also checked this psu and i consider replacing my old one with this..
http://www.plaisio.gr/Computers/Hardware/PSU/Corsair-Ga...
I am from greece, and that is the store's site.. I read some very positive reviews for this psu.. Also I see you own the i7 2600k.. I would like to ask you if I should buy the same one for my new rig (It costs about 290 euros in greece), or go for the i7 2700k?? The second one is about 15-20 euros more expensive...
March 2, 2012 1:24:46 AM

gp7 said:
Thanks for helping man.. I made a ''scan" in the links above.. I also checked this psu and i consider replacing my old one with this..
http://www.plaisio.gr/Computers/Hardware/PSU/Corsair-Ga...
I am from greece, and that is the store's site.. I read some very positive reviews for this psu.. Also I see you own the i7 2600k.. I would like to ask you if I should buy the same one for my new rig (It costs about 290 euros in greece), or go for the i7 2700k?? The second one is about 15-20 euros more expensive...


Good choice of PSU. Now it depends on what you are going to do or what you are into. If it is just gaming then i5 2500k would be the best CPU to get.

If you are into more than just gaming then go with the i7 2700k and I believe there are two more sizes up from that. To use the i7 2600k 2700k etc just for gaming is a waste of CPU.

Even the top games like BF3 and Skyrim etc. You would never use more that 30 to 40% of that CPU. If you are into hyper threading of sorts then yes get it. Mine is over kill with what type of gaming I do.

I never use anything over 35% at anytime on anygame. I could have saved my self few hundred US dollars and bought the i5 CPU. I hope this helps and here is a link to CPU's. I want to wish you good luck on your choice of CPU.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=287
March 2, 2012 7:23:54 AM

Yes, the main purpose for the cpu is gaming.. 2500k costs 90-100 euros less and from the benchmarks in games it seems to be by far the most reasonable choice.. And the extra 100 euros will go for a better gpu..! Thanks for one more time!
March 2, 2012 6:29:23 PM

gp7 said:
Yes, the main purpose for the cpu is gaming.. 2500k costs 90-100 euros less and from the benchmarks in games it seems to be by far the most reasonable choice.. And the extra 100 euros will go for a better gpu..! Thanks for one more time!


You are very welcome and I wish you the best and have fun gaming. Good luck to you