K6-2 Overclocking

G

I'm wondering if I can overclock a K6-2 550.
I have a 3dcool Tornado 1000 case, which keeps my computer fairly cool, but I only have a standard heatsink/fan. Previously, I tried to overclock my cpu to 577 MHz, but I was unsuccessful. I would like to know if the K6-2 550 is overclockable with adequate cooling or if I should even bother buying a better heatsink/fan.

G

Just check my thread, should explain whether or not they are overclockable...

Screw it, stupid thing won't take what I tell it to (less than 100 characters too)

G

I beleiev that you can indeed overclock that K6-2 550. Of course a few standard rules apply when trying to overclock successfully; You must have fast enough mainboard memory to support the bus speed, You must have absolutly the largest heat sink/ fan assembly that will fit. And you will probally have to increse the CPU core and I/O voltage.. BTW make sure you use thermal compound between the CPU and heat sink, and dont use to much or it will have the oppsite effect. How much is correct you may ask? Pust enough so that when you touch it with your finger the bottom of your finger print shows the metal on the cpu or heat sink. Good luck.. :)

G

Hey,

Im afriad although it may appear possible to overclock a K6-2 550, you can't do it. The chip becomes to unstable and won't usually function. On 3dspotlight.com this was dicussed, and It didnt seem possible. I can also vouch for it because it just wouldnt work. If you really want more speed go up to an Athlon or Duron. Duron is a great chip for Oc'ers.

Timothy Stankus
One of the First AMD Athlon Users =)

B_Man

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2004
YES you to can overclock a AMD K6-2/550 ,,,,,,,,,,
I was running a K6-2/550 at 600 MHzon a Asus P5A-B/300 Motherboard with 498MB pc133 sdr memory "clocked at 110 MHz",multiplier set at 5.5 . For heat I used a overly large Vantec Aluminum heatsink wich I laped for nearly 6 hours to get a completely flat surface and greased with a normal silver thermal grease,and last but not least a VooDoo 2 2500 Agp video card. I wish you luck though, as it was 1 of 2 overclocking successes that I have had. I have tried ocing with video cards also and haven't had much luck with them other than not to have fried anything ???? yet!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Try this setting: 6x100, 2.55v core. Use an Athlon/Duron cooler. If your board lacks a 6x multiplier you can use 2x, since your processor remaps 2x to 6x.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
Why can't i overclock my K6-2 450 on a redfox mobo and ali chipset. The bios is award modular 4.0.

I can't find any multiplier settings in the BIOS.

<b>MY RIG</b>
<font color=purple> INTEL P4 2.0GHZ | NVIDIA GEFORCEFX 5200 64MB | 256MB DDR266 SDRAM | INT. AUDIO | SEAGATE 7200.7 40GB HDD | LG 15" CRT | WIN98SE</font color=purple>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LMAO! Multipliers in BIOS? LOL! Look at the jumpers d00d.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Another option is 5x120fsb=600. My old P5A-B was flaky at 110 and 115fsb . But 120fsb was completely stable.

typos.......

I aint signing nothing!!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Rick_Criswell on 01/06/04 08:30 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

TRENDING THREADS