ALL MY GAMES HAVE STARTED TO LAG!

jakedavies8

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Hi all,

Just wondering if you could help me. I have had my rig for a while now and all has been running smoothly. I have played all of my games with no lag (crysis, FIFA, Cod, BF3, etc). But suddenly just over the past couple of weeks every game has suffered major performance issues. They all play fine but then drop to around 10fps. Then after a while it returns to a decent FPS and stops lagging. This cycle continues until I loose my rag and give up ! I can't think what has triggered it all I have changed recently is my PSU from 500 to 650w and if I remember rightly it did the same thing before. Will dust be causing this problem or something completely different. I would appriciate any help.

Spec:
Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.4Ghz (stock cooled)
Corsair XMS3 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz (2x4GB)
XFX ATi HD5750 1GB GDDR5
Powercool 650w PSU

Thanks in advance
Jake

jakedavies8

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012

Hi
Not that I am aware of, can you elaborate?

Thanks

could have malware or a virus. Could be something or anything can be trying to do auto updates..... Windows/apps....... instant messaging-e-mail notifications.

how much room on your hard drive ? do a disc clean up and defrag lately ?

yes, dust on fans and heat sinks can cause major problems. Being left neglected parts will go bad because of excessive heat. clean all heat sinks and fans. If your GPU has an enclosed heat sink remove it and blow hard through the exhaust port in the back to blow dust out where the fan is.

walkingepidemic

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
I am not quite sure, but your video card might be overheating, or your PSU might not be working properly. My best advice would be either to get someone to check your PC out, or if you want to, you can do it yourself.

In the meantime, you could try to reduce your game's settings to improve performance.

killzone2367

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Set fan speed to 100% in CCC. See if that helps. Use MalwareBytes and scan your computer for malware. Defragment your HDD. Update drivers.