EQ2 Soloing Suggestion for SOE

I understand SOE's ideas of having no XP given for groups attacking lower
level (grey) creatures.. That is just too darn easy and worthless. But how
about granting some level of measured/limited XP to solo characters who wish
to hunt to kill off some burden.

I don't know about you all, but I have spent some time battling some pretty
darn tenacious ^^grey creatures that can give you a run for your money, only
to get nothing in reward.

It might be beneficial and helpful to a solo hunter, especially trying to
kill off some debt/burden, to be able to any amount (no matter how small) of
Xp.

It seems that it could be VERY easy to implement and regulate.

Just one Palladian's 3G 4S 35C

"Josh Carter" <josh_carter@yahooooooooo.com> wrote in message
>I understand SOE's ideas of having no XP given for groups attacking lower
>level (grey) creatures.. That is just too darn easy and worthless. But how
>about granting some level of measured/limited XP to solo characters who
>wish to hunt to kill off some burden.
>
> I don't know about you all, but I have spent some time battling some
> pretty darn tenacious ^^grey creatures that can give you a run for your
> money, only to get nothing in reward.
>
> It might be beneficial and helpful to a solo hunter, especially trying to
> kill off some debt/burden, to be able to any amount (no matter how small)
> of Xp.
>
> It seems that it could be VERY easy to implement and regulate.
>
> Just one Palladian's 3G 4S 35C

The game is easy enough without giving exp for newbie yard trash - just my
opinion

Cladari

>I understand SOE's ideas of having no XP given for groups attacking
lower
>level (grey) creatures.. That is just too darn easy and worthless. But
how
>about granting some level of measured/limited XP to solo characters
who wish
>to hunt to kill off some burden.
>I don't know about you all, but I have spent some time battling some
pretty
>darn tenacious ^^grey creatures that can give you a run for your
money, only
>to get nothing in reward.
>It might be beneficial and helpful to a solo hunter, especially trying
>kill off some debt/burden, to be able to any amount (no matter how
small) of
>Xp.
>It seems that it could be VERY easy to implement and regulate.
>Just one Palladian's 3G 4S 35C

I think SOE should alter con colours based on whether you are in a
group or solo. Having creatures marked as group or solo in very
unrealistic and unnecessarily reduces the amount of content for a solo
player. If SOE upgrades the colour of group creatures to a soloable
player (but keeps them the same for a group) it would vastly increase
the number of quest and creatures available to a solo player. Plus it
would save SOE money, as they won't have to make solo or group
content.

Thank you for taking time away from the slaughterhouse to post your opinion.

"tankdoc" <tankdoc@adelphia.net> wrote in message

> "Josh Carter" <josh_carter@yahooooooooo.com> wrote in message
>>I understand SOE's ideas of having no XP given for groups attacking lower
>>level (grey) creatures.. That is just too darn easy and worthless. But
>>how about granting some level of measured/limited XP to solo characters
>>who wish to hunt to kill off some burden.
>>
>> I don't know about you all, but I have spent some time battling some
>> pretty darn tenacious ^^grey creatures that can give you a run for your
>> money, only to get nothing in reward.
>>
>> It might be beneficial and helpful to a solo hunter, especially trying to
>> kill off some debt/burden, to be able to any amount (no matter how small)
>> of Xp.
>>
>> It seems that it could be VERY easy to implement and regulate.
>>
>> Just one Palladian's 3G 4S 35C
>
> The game is easy enough without giving exp for newbie yard trash - just my
> opinion
>
> Cladari

>I never see groups in the seas around antonica, instead they always
seem to
>be trying for gnolls then scarecrows then AC quests then moving on to
>thundering steppes. I've gotten a few groups in down below, but
vermin's
>snye and stormhold keep never seems popular (possibly because only
outdoor
>zones are mappable?) and soloing their doesn't work well from what i
have
>seen.

There is a lot of content that is totally overlooked by people. Go to
northern or central Antonica and you will find large mobs of gnolls,
which people never go after. Yet the Blackbarrow is full of people
killing gnolls .

>It's a shame, eq2 has excellent points, the voice work is a scream and
the
>animations gorgeous, the artwork lovely and the sense of vastness very
>enthralling, but eq2 seems to be shooting itself in the foot by not
allowing
>easy quest sharing, anti-camping code (simply make killing the same
mob give
>less xp each time and the seas would fill with adventurers fast!), and
more
>scope for the soloer.

Half the problem is the way quests are dished out. They are on very
individual bases but require you to find a group but there is no
obvious way too. Ie you get a quest while running around Qeynos harbour
to kill things in the sea but there is no one spot to go and met other
people on the same quests. You can send out ooc or shouts but you just
find the other half of problem is people are all out doing there own
thing and no ones interested. Set the LFG flag and you will probably
only get invites from people grinding away on gnolls or crows.

The only way is often to level up and come back then the creatures are
all grey and you can solo them, minus exp and items of course. If, like
I suggest, SOE change the con colours based on whether you in a group
or solo the creatures and quest will give you exp and items for much
long. But at some point you would have to switch from being in a group
to being solo to get anything out of them.

Another answer would be to do what AO does and give quests out
depending if you are in a group and solo. That way the entire group
gets the same quest at the same time and has their mind set on doing it
but that would still limit the content to solo players, much better to
make it all available.

Josh Carter wrote:
> I understand SOE's ideas of having no XP given for groups attacking
> lower level (grey) creatures.. That is just too darn easy and
> worthless. But how about granting some level of measured/limited XP
> to solo characters who wish to hunt to kill off some burden.
<snip>

If you like playing that way, there's a MMOG out there that will let you do
it, probably through to max level if you want--although you'll miss the
elite quests at the "proper" level if you don't group.

Of course, you already know what it is. :)

--
chainbreaker

If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.

Graeme Faelban wrote:
> He is right though, why do you need to get xp for a grey encounter?
> There are plenty of soloable mobs out there that are not grey.

Giving XP for gray encounters, no matter how small would not work. At
my level, Nek is gray. That means that
Commonlands/Sprawl/Graveyard/etc are all gray. If I got any XP at all
from killing a gray, I could go to those areas that are heavily
populated and completely obliterate everything in no time at all, with
no risk at all. Think of how long it would take to clear out the orc
area near the names in CL. Giving a little XP per kill, multiplied by
the amount you can mow through means there would be no reason to risk
anything, except for loot. If I am solo, I can't get the good loot I
want anyway, so why not just kill hoardes for XP?

Maybe adjusting the color cons would work, to provide a larger area to
get XP. Getting XP from grays is definately not the answer though.

On 2005-01-25, Josh Carter <josh_carter@yahooooooooo.com> wrote:
> Thank you for taking time away from the slaughterhouse to post your opinion.

Dissent is forbidden?

Coo.

Matt

"BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk> wrote in message
> >I understand SOE's ideas of having no XP given for groups attacking
> lower
> >level (grey) creatures.. That is just too darn easy and worthless. But
> how
> >about granting some level of measured/limited XP to solo characters
> who wish
> >to hunt to kill off some burden.
> >I don't know about you all, but I have spent some time battling some
> pretty
> >darn tenacious ^^grey creatures that can give you a run for your
> money, only
> >to get nothing in reward.
> >It might be beneficial and helpful to a solo hunter, especially trying
> >kill off some debt/burden, to be able to any amount (no matter how
> small) of
> >Xp.
> >It seems that it could be VERY easy to implement and regulate.
> >Just one Palladian's 3G 4S 35C
>
> I think SOE should alter con colours based on whether you are in a
> group or solo. Having creatures marked as group or solo in very
> unrealistic and unnecessarily reduces the amount of content for a solo
> player. If SOE upgrades the colour of group creatures to a soloable
> player (but keeps them the same for a group) it would vastly increase
> the number of quest and creatures available to a solo player. Plus it
> would save SOE money, as they won't have to make solo or group
> content.

What annoys me is how many quests or zones become inaccessible as you level,
and how small the level range between party members must be. On solution is
to turn off xp but that seems insane... Conan the barbarian learnt languages
by *learning*, not by refusing to learn how to fight better! Yet there's a
gnoll language quest that becomes impossible if i level, so unless they put
in another way (and so far they haven't been flexible) then you can't do
something that is just fun. I guess you are just supposed to level and
collect shiny trinkets, that are later exchanged for other shinies so that
you can level, etc etc.

IMHO quests are fun, grinding is a process of tedium endured in the hope
that it will somehow turn out to be fun later, perhaps when you show off
your shinies to the other grinders.

I keep coming across things that seem to reinforce negative things people
have attributed to SOE's attitude to soloing, like the guide to grouping
they linked to which saw grouping and doing quests as an abberation, and the
"grouping to grind the same monsters until they grey out, then moving
slightly and repeating" as the norm.

I never see groups in the seas around antonica, instead they always seem to
be trying for gnolls then scarecrows then AC quests then moving on to
thundering steppes. I've gotten a few groups in down below, but vermin's
snye and stormhold keep never seems popular (possibly because only outdoor
zones are mappable?) and soloing their doesn't work well from what i have
seen.

It's a shame, eq2 has excellent points, the voice work is a scream and the
animations gorgeous, the artwork lovely and the sense of vastness very
enthralling, but eq2 seems to be shooting itself in the foot by not allowing
easy quest sharing, anti-camping code (simply make killing the same mob give
less xp each time and the seas would fill with adventurers fast!), and more
scope for the soloer.

Nobody ever wrote stories about the daring adventurer Throg and his band,
who stood in the same place for days and bashed, until they moved to a
slightly different location, and resumed bashing. Playing online should be a
chance to write your own story! That's adventure...

Ralph Nebbish,
20 pal,
nah
jee
naaaaaaa

"Josh Carter" <josh_carter@yahooooooooo.com> wrote in

> I understand SOE's ideas of having no XP given for groups attacking
> lower level (grey) creatures.. That is just too darn easy and
> worthless. But how about granting some level of measured/limited XP
> to solo characters who wish to hunt to kill off some burden.
>
> I don't know about you all, but I have spent some time battling some
> pretty darn tenacious ^^grey creatures that can give you a run for
> your money, only to get nothing in reward.
>
> It might be beneficial and helpful to a solo hunter, especially trying
> to kill off some debt/burden, to be able to any amount (no matter how
> small) of Xp.
>
> It seems that it could be VERY easy to implement and regulate.

Why bother? There are plenty of green, blue, white, yellow, orange
encounters out there that are quite soloable.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 21 Dwarven Mystic, 20 Sage
Aviv, 11 Gnome Braeler, 14 Craftsman

> "tankdoc" <tankdoc@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Josh Carter" <josh_carter@yahooooooooo.com> wrote in message
>>>I understand SOE's ideas of having no XP given for groups attacking
>>>lower level (grey) creatures.. That is just too darn easy and
>>>worthless. But how about granting some level of measured/limited XP
>>>to solo characters who wish to hunt to kill off some burden.
>>>
>>> I don't know about you all, but I have spent some time battling some
>>> pretty darn tenacious ^^grey creatures that can give you a run for
>>> your money, only to get nothing in reward.
>>>
>>> It might be beneficial and helpful to a solo hunter, especially
>>> trying to kill off some debt/burden, to be able to any amount (no
>>> matter how small) of Xp.
>>>
>>> It seems that it could be VERY easy to implement and regulate.
>>
>> The game is easy enough without giving exp for newbie yard trash -
>> just my opinion
>
> Thank you for taking time away from the slaughterhouse to post your
> opinion.

<top post corrected>

"Shadow" <kitchen@fis.org.nz> wrote in message

> What annoys me is how many quests or zones become inaccessible as you
level,
> and how small the level range between party members must be. On solution
is
> to turn off xp but that seems insane... Conan the barbarian learnt
languages
> by *learning*, not by refusing to learn how to fight better! Yet there's a
> gnoll language quest that becomes impossible if i level, so unless they
put
> in another way (and so far they haven't been flexible) then you can't do
> something that is just fun. I guess you are just supposed to level and
> collect shiny trinkets, that are later exchanged for other shinies so that
> you can level, etc etc.

There's been a bit of a discussion on this in the forums.

It looks as though there may be plans afoot to have the parts for quests
such as "bark like a gnoll" drop from grey mobs similar to body parts.
That would be great if it happens =)

--
eq2.najena.floriana

>>Half the problem is the way quests are dished out. They are on very
>>individual bases but require you to find a group but there is no
>>obvious way too. Ie you get a quest while running around Qeynos
harbour
>>to kill things in the sea but there is no one spot to go and met
other
>>people on the same quests. You can send out ooc or shouts but you
just
>>find the other half of problem is people are all out doing there own
>>thing and no ones interested. Set the LFG flag and you will probably
>>only get invites from people grinding away on gnolls or crows.

>Start your own group, then. Use the search tool to find some
LFG-people
>fitting your needs, send them a tell and ask if they want to help
finish
>this here quest you have.

Like I said in my experience people aren't interested. It was hard
enough finding a group for AQ4, one of the more popular quests. For
other lesser quests you often have no chance of finding people. And yes
I was often do the recruiting.

In my experience people only group to grind away certain creatures and
aren't interested in doing specific quests.

>IMO, this is the pivotal idea of EQ2. You get to meet people and make
>friends helping each other achieve various goals. This not just
something
>you can choose to do. In a sense, it's what the game is all about.

I agree but that doesn't mean you should penalise people you want to
solo. I've played online games that have both. Grouping is always
better because it safer and quicker. EQ2 the only game I played that
draws a line down the middle between group and solo content. But the
line is unfairly biased towards groups.

>However, if SOE listened to all you solo-whiners ;-) and made soloing
just
>as rewarding as grouping, it would become much more difficult to find
the
>people you need when you need them. Norrath would become a colder
place,
>because most people would just keep to themselves, myself included.

And if SOE don't listen to what its subscribers they will leave for
games that do, ie WOW. Enough people seem to be scream for soloable
content leads me to believe SOE have this issue very wrong.

>You just need to reward grouping - or penalize soloing, if you will.
>Otherwise, a very basic idea of the game is jeopardized. Those grey
mobs you
>see are the designers' way of punishing you for not completing a group
quest
>when it was suitable for you. Take your punishment like a man, or
stick to.
>The soloable quests, of which there are plenty. It's impossible to do
all
>quests in the game with one character anyway; you'll always level too
fast
>for that.

There are not as many soloable quests as groups ones and when you get
one its impossible to tell which is which. Plus you can get mixtures,
ie start out killing easily creatures but the last bit sends you up
against a named or mob which you have no chance doing.

Or how about unavoidable class quest that make tell you to kill
creatures you can't solo but because you hit a level cap you can't
level past and come back to then they are grey!

And what's there to stop a group doing solo quest? The game doesn't
stop a group killing red/solo creatures and getting exp and item but
stops solo players killing group mobs. Seems very biased an unfair to
me.

>Don't think that I don't know how you feel. It's in my nature to keep
>myself, and I solo a lot more than I group. However, because there's
so much
>in EQ2 that I cannot do on my own, I have to join up with others now
and
>then, and I have to admit that this is when the game shows its full
>potential. Sure, there has been nightmare groups that I wish I had
never
>met, but the best moments always come while grouping.

You have totally misunderstood me here. I would rather be in a group
then soloing. It safer and quicker but I don't often have much time
during the week. I can only play maybe an hour at a time and if you
spend the first half and hour finding a group that doesn't leave much
time to do anything.

On 25 Jan 2005 08:05:26 -0800, BombayMix wrote:

>Half the problem is the way quests are dished out. They are on very
>individual bases but require you to find a group but there is no
>obvious way too. Ie you get a quest while running around Qeynos harbour
>to kill things in the sea but there is no one spot to go and met other
>people on the same quests. You can send out ooc or shouts but you just
>find the other half of problem is people are all out doing there own
>thing and no ones interested. Set the LFG flag and you will probably
>only get invites from people grinding away on gnolls or crows.

Start your own group, then. Use the search tool to find some LFG-people
fitting your needs, send them a tell and ask if they want to help finish
this here quest you have. You'll be surprised how many are willing to help
out if you ask them. When you're done, ask them what they want to do now,
and help them do it. Before you disband, make sure to put each other on your
respective friends lists and you may have something lasting and valuable
going on.

IMO, this is the pivotal idea of EQ2. You get to meet people and make
friends helping each other achieve various goals. This not just something
you can choose to do. In a sense, it's what the game is all about.

However, if SOE listened to all you solo-whiners ;-) and made soloing just
as rewarding as grouping, it would become much more difficult to find the
people you need when you need them. Norrath would become a colder place,
because most people would just keep to themselves, myself included.

You just need to reward grouping - or penalize soloing, if you will.
Otherwise, a very basic idea of the game is jeopardized. Those gray mobs you
see are the designers' way of punishing you for not completing a group quest
when it was suitable for you. Take your punishment like a man, or stick to
the soloable quests, of which there are plenty. It's impossible to do all
quests in the game with one character anyway; you'll always level too fast
for that.

Don't think that I don't know how you feel. It's in my nature to keep to
myself, and I solo a lot more than I group. However, because there's so much
in EQ2 that I cannot do on my own, I have to join up with others now and
then, and I have to admit that this is when the game shows its full
potential. Sure, there has been nightmare groups that I wish I had never
met, but the best moments always come while grouping.
--
Henrik Dissing
Vork - Dwarven Guardian and Weaponsmith on Highkeep

(e-mail: hendis AT post DOT tele DOT dk)

"BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk> wrote in
<snip>

> Or how about unavoidable class quest that make tell you to kill
> creatures you can't solo but because you hit a level cap you can't
> level past and come back to then they are grey!

There is a class quest that is not soloable?

<snip>

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 21 Dwarven Mystic, 20 Sage
Aviv, 11 Gnome Braeler, 14 Craftsman

Hey bud... your playing EQ2, a game by SOE, get used to the lack of xp rewards
already ok?

Graeme Faelban wrote:
> "BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk> wrote in
> <snip>
> >
> > Or how about unavoidable class quest that make tell you to kill
> > creatures you can't solo but because you hit a level cap you can't
> > level past and come back to then they are grey!
>
> There is a class quest that is not soloable?

The Wizard quest requires you to kill an oracle in the BlackBarrow.
Problem is his in a mob of 6 other gnolls. The mob is marked as group++
and be white to green depending on when you do the quest.

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Actually you don't even need to zone into Blackburrow at all to do the
quest.

> Graeme Faelban wrote:
> > "BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk> wrote in
> > <snip>
> > >
> > > Or how about unavoidable class quest that make tell you to kill
> > > creatures you can't solo but because you hit a level cap you can't
> > > level past and come back to then they are grey!
> >
> > There is a class quest that is not soloable?
>
> The Wizard quest requires you to kill an oracle in the BlackBarrow.
> Problem is his in a mob of 6 other gnolls. The mob is marked as group++
> and be white to green depending on when you do the quest.

They seem to build a lot of catch-22's into this game :p

On 26 Jan 2005 09:30:47 -0800, BombayMix wrote:

>Like I said in my experience people aren't interested. It was hard
>enough finding a group for AQ4, one of the more popular quests. For
>other lesser quests you often have no chance of finding people. And yes
>I was often do the recruiting.

I suppose I could just have been lucky and you could have been unlucky. Or
maybe our expectations are different, I don't know.

Anyway, if there is indeed a wide-spread reluctance to participate in group
efforts, making it easier to solo will only make matters worse, one should
think.

>And if SOE don't listen to what its subscribers they will leave for
>games that do, ie WOW. Enough people seem to be scream for soloable
>content leads me to believe SOE have this issue very wrong.

Judged by yesterday's patch and announcement, they did listen. Hopefully,
they're not overdoing it.

>There are not as many soloable quests as groups ones and when you get
>one its impossible to tell which is which.

True, it would be nice to tell from the beginning if a quest has been
designed for soloing.

>Or how about unavoidable class quest that make tell you to kill
>creatures you can't solo but because you hit a level cap you can't
>level past and come back to then they are grey!

I have yet to see such a quest, but if you say they exist, I believe you.
But again, grouping is a discipline that you must master to some degree to
play EQ2. I have no problem with that.

>And what's there to stop a group doing solo quest? The game doesn't
>stop a group killing red/solo creatures and getting exp and item but
>stops solo players killing group mobs. Seems very biased an unfair to
>me.

If a group decides to kill mobs they could just as easily have killed
individually, they're wasting precious group time. It's their loss, and I
don't see why they should be prevented from doing that.

When you talk about the game being biased in favor of groups, I would have
to reply: Yes, and it should be. We can always discuss how biased, but for
the whole concept of grouping to make sense, doing so must be rewarded. You
seem to regard this reward as an unjust treatment of the solo player.

>You have totally misunderstood me here. I would rather be in a group
>then soloing. It safer and quicker but I don't often have much time
>during the week. I can only play maybe an hour at a time and if you
>spend the first half and hour finding a group that doesn't leave much
>time to do anything.

I recognize that description, which is why I usually only group during
weekends.

As I said, I know how you feel, and I hope the latest XP-boost for soloers
and small groups, as well as the promised upcoming solo content, will make
you a little happier with EQ2. Just don't give up looking for groups,
because that will always be the key to the truly great adventures,
fortunately :)
--
Henrik Dissing
Vork - Dwarf Guardian and Weaponsmith on Highkeep

TRENDING THREADS