Quick Restore CD

Last response: in Computer Brands
August 22, 2004 7:29:28 AM

On Model 7594 windows kept developing errors. Disgusted I wiped out
hard disk and installed with a stand a lone copy of W98SE. Not a good
idea, the sysem works but very slow erratic and compaq files still on
system. Now need to fulll restore with the quick restore disk, but
there is a problem. There is no Compaq Support Quick icon on the
destop as it was deleted from the desktop when formatted. This folder
apparently is needed as it contained the quick restore icon whch
starts the quick restore disk to full restore the operating system. As
it now stands, the quick restorer disk is useless without this folder.
I have looked everywhere on the C: drive and these two programs cannot
be found: (1) quick restore icon and (2) compaq support icon folder.

Any edeas on how to use the quick restorer disk to get this machine
running would really be appreciated.

deerrr

More about : quick restore

Anonymous
August 22, 2004 7:29:29 AM

If you have compaq files you didnt wipe the harddrive.

<darell@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> On Model 7594 windows kept developing errors. Disgusted I wiped out
> hard disk and installed with a stand a lone copy of W98SE. Not a good
> idea, the sysem works but very slow erratic and compaq files still on
> system. Now need to fulll restore with the quick restore disk, but
> there is a problem. There is no Compaq Support Quick icon on the
> destop as it was deleted from the desktop when formatted. This folder
> apparently is needed as it contained the quick restore icon whch
> starts the quick restore disk to full restore the operating system. As
> it now stands, the quick restorer disk is useless without this folder.
> I have looked everywhere on the C: drive and these two programs cannot
> be found: (1) quick restore icon and (2) compaq support icon folder.
>
> Any edeas on how to use the quick restorer disk to get this machine
> running would really be appreciated.
>
> deerrr
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 9:56:06 AM

In article <vp9gi09k53s11hsjdb57m2ap66l4vvp78l@4ax.com>,
darell@worldnet.att.net writes:

>On Model 7594 windows kept developing errors. Disgusted I wiped out
>hard disk and installed with a stand a lone copy of W98SE. Not a good
>idea, the sysem works but very slow erratic and compaq files still on
>system. Now need to fulll restore with the quick restore disk, but
>there is a problem. There is no Compaq Support Quick icon on the
>destop as it was deleted from the desktop when formatted. This folder
>apparently is needed as it contained the quick restore icon whch
>starts the quick restore disk to full restore the operating system. As
>it now stands, the quick restorer disk is useless without this folder.
>I have looked everywhere on the C: drive and these two programs cannot
>be found: (1) quick restore icon and (2) compaq support icon folder.
>
>Any edeas on how to use the quick restorer disk to get this machine
>running would really be appreciated.
>
>deerrr

Did you try putting the QR disk in the drive and re-booting? I'm not familiar
with your model but when I was running a 5000 series the QR disks worked by
re-booting the machine and following the on screen prompts. Back up any files
that you don't want to lose before proceeding.

Darrin
August 26, 2004 8:06:03 AM

"DARTORREY" <dartorrey@aol.com> wrote in message
> In article <vp9gi09k53s11hsjdb57m2ap66l4vvp78l@4ax.com>,
> darell@worldnet.att.net writes:
>
> >On Model 7594 windows kept developing errors. Disgusted I wiped out
> >hard disk and installed with a stand a lone copy of W98SE. Not a good
> >idea, the sysem works but very slow erratic and compaq files still on
> >system. Now need to fulll restore with the quick restore disk, but
> >there is a problem. There is no Compaq Support Quick icon on the
> >destop as it was deleted from the desktop when formatted. This folder
> >apparently is needed as it contained the quick restore icon whch
> >starts the quick restore disk to full restore the operating system. As
> >it now stands, the quick restorer disk is useless without this folder.
> >I have looked everywhere on the C: drive and these two programs cannot
> >be found: (1) quick restore icon and (2) compaq support icon folder.
> >
> >Any edeas on how to use the quick restorer disk to get this machine
> >running would really be appreciated.
> >
> >deerrr
> >

> Did you try putting the QR disk in the drive and re-booting? I'm not
familiar
> with your model but when I was running a 5000 series the QR disks worked
by
> re-booting the machine and following the on screen prompts. Back up any
files
> that you don't want to lose before proceeding.

Go to Compaq/HP website and order Quick Restore CD's for your machine...
Due to a class action lawsuit, you get the disk and shipping free... until
Dec 31
I got mine in 2 days..

--
<B0N3H3@D>
..

To restore the 7594, just put QuickRestore disk 1 (there are 2 discs) in the
CD drive and reboot. Disk 1 is bootable.

HH

"«bonehead;)" <noone@spam.not> wrote in message

> "DARTORREY" <dartorrey@aol.com> wrote in message
> > In article <vp9gi09k53s11hsjdb57m2ap66l4vvp78l@4ax.com>,
> > darell@worldnet.att.net writes:
> >
> > >On Model 7594 windows kept developing errors. Disgusted I wiped out
> > >hard disk and installed with a stand a lone copy of W98SE. Not a good
> > >idea, the sysem works but very slow erratic and compaq files still on
> > >system. Now need to fulll restore with the quick restore disk, but
> > >there is a problem. There is no Compaq Support Quick icon on the
> > >destop as it was deleted from the desktop when formatted. This folder
> > >apparently is needed as it contained the quick restore icon whch
> > >starts the quick restore disk to full restore the operating system. As
> > >it now stands, the quick restorer disk is useless without this folder.
> > >I have looked everywhere on the C: drive and these two programs cannot
> > >be found: (1) quick restore icon and (2) compaq support icon folder.
> > >
> > >Any edeas on how to use the quick restorer disk to get this machine
> > >running would really be appreciated.
> > >
> > >deerrr
> > >

> > Did you try putting the QR disk in the drive and re-booting? I'm not
> familiar
> > with your model but when I was running a 5000 series the QR disks worked
> by
> > re-booting the machine and following the on screen prompts. Back up any
> files
> > that you don't want to lose before proceeding.
> >
> Go to Compaq/HP website and order Quick Restore CD's for your machine...
> Due to a class action lawsuit, you get the disk and shipping free... until
> Dec 31
> I got mine in 2 days..
>

> --
> <B0N3H3@D>
> "I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." Albert
Einstein
> .

Anonymous
August 31, 2004 12:23:19 AM

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 04:06:03 GMT, «bonehead;) wrote in

> "DARTORREY" <dartorrey@aol.com> wrote in message
>> In article <vp9gi09k53s11hsjdb57m2ap66l4vvp78l@4ax.com>,
>> darell@worldnet.att.net writes:
>>
>>>On Model 7594 windows kept developing errors. Disgusted I wiped out
>>>hard disk and installed with a stand a lone copy of W98SE. Not a good
>>>idea, the sysem works but very slow erratic and compaq files still on
>>>system. Now need to fulll restore with the quick restore disk, but
>>>there is a problem. There is no Compaq Support Quick icon on the
>>>destop as it was deleted from the desktop when formatted. This folder
>>>apparently is needed as it contained the quick restore icon whch
>>>starts the quick restore disk to full restore the operating system. As
>>>it now stands, the quick restorer disk is useless without this folder.
>>>I have looked everywhere on the C: drive and these two programs cannot
>>>be found: (1) quick restore icon and (2) compaq support icon folder.
>>>
>>>Any edeas on how to use the quick restorer disk to get this machine
>>>running would really be appreciated.
>>>
>>>deerrr
>>>

>> Did you try putting the QR disk in the drive and re-booting? I'm not
> familiar
>> with your model but when I was running a 5000 series the QR disks worked
> by
>> re-booting the machine and following the on screen prompts. Back up any
> files
>> that you don't want to lose before proceeding.
>>
> Go to Compaq/HP website and order Quick Restore CD's for your machine...
> Due to a class action lawsuit, you get the disk and shipping free... until
> Dec 31
> I got mine in 2 days..

Can you give a link for the free QR cd's? Following the link in the
Compaq FAQ indicates the cost is $10.00. Here is the link from the FAQ.

For Quickrestore CDs:
http://qrcons.orderz.com/page1.asp

Thanks,
Nevans
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 2:49:08 AM

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 20:23:19 -0500, Nevans wrote in

> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 04:06:03 GMT, «bonehead;) wrote in
>
>> "DARTORREY" <dartorrey@aol.com> wrote in message

>>> Did you try putting the QR disk in the drive and re-booting? I'm not
>> familiar
>>> with your model but when I was running a 5000 series the QR disks worked
>> by
>>> re-booting the machine and following the on screen prompts. Back up any
>> files
>>> that you don't want to lose before proceeding.
>>>
>> Go to Compaq/HP website and order Quick Restore CD's for your machine...
>> Due to a class action lawsuit, you get the disk and shipping free... until
>> Dec 31
>> I got mine in 2 days..
>
> Can you give a link for the free QR cd's? Following the link in the
> Compaq FAQ indicates the cost is $10.00. Here is the link from the FAQ.
>
> For Quickrestore CDs:
> http://qrcons.orderz.com/page1.asp

http://www.compaqqrsettlement.com/

Just in case anyone else wasn't aware, I wanted to share the class
action settlement link above, where you can file a claim form to get the
free Compaq Presario Quick Restore CD's. It's probably been mentioned
in this newsgroup before but I just found out about this group earlier
today - and am I glad I did!

Thanks again,
Nevans
September 7, 2004 2:37:48 PM

You may be able to get a original restore cd from
http://www.ambry.com. They usually carry all of them. All you need
is the correct part number from hp.

"«bonehead;\)" <noone@spam.not> wrote in message news:<LkdXc.7492$FV3.5123@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>...
> "DARTORREY" <dartorrey@aol.com> wrote in message
> > In article <vp9gi09k53s11hsjdb57m2ap66l4vvp78l@4ax.com>,
> > darell@worldnet.att.net writes:
> >
> > >On Model 7594 windows kept developing errors. Disgusted I wiped out
> > >hard disk and installed with a stand a lone copy of W98SE. Not a good
> > >idea, the sysem works but very slow erratic and compaq files still on
> > >system. Now need to fulll restore with the quick restore disk, but
> > >there is a problem. There is no Compaq Support Quick icon on the
> > >destop as it was deleted from the desktop when formatted. This folder
> > >apparently is needed as it contained the quick restore icon whch
> > >starts the quick restore disk to full restore the operating system. As
> > >it now stands, the quick restorer disk is useless without this folder.
> > >I have looked everywhere on the C: drive and these two programs cannot
> > >be found: (1) quick restore icon and (2) compaq support icon folder.
> > >
> > >Any edeas on how to use the quick restorer disk to get this machine
> > >running would really be appreciated.
> > >
> > >deerrr
> > >

> > Did you try putting the QR disk in the drive and re-booting? I'm not
> familiar
> > with your model but when I was running a 5000 series the QR disks worked
> by
> > re-booting the machine and following the on screen prompts. Back up any
> files
> > that you don't want to lose before proceeding.
> >
> Go to Compaq/HP website and order Quick Restore CD's for your machine...
> Due to a class action lawsuit, you get the disk and shipping free... until
> Dec 31
> I got mine in 2 days..
Anonymous
September 18, 2004 10:33:19 AM

Can you post the part # from HP Site I cannot seem to find it. They are
listed as unavailable.
September 18, 2004 11:27:11 AM

For what Presario model???
HH