Last Saturday was the last time that System Restore worked for me.
Counterspy set a restore point before doing its thing. Since then I havn't
been able to create a restore point all week. I'm running XP home edition.
This is what pops up when I try to create a restore point.
System Restore is unable to create a resore point. Please restart the
computer, and then run System Restore again.

Restarting will not help.
Any suggestions on how to get this back in working order?

Restore points can become corrupted, often (but not always) due to a virus
or spyware infection. In this case, the only thing you can do is to delete
all restore points and start fresh. You delete all restore points by turning
system restore off on all drives, rebooting and then turning system restore
on again.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Ric" <rewing@cebridge.net> wrote in message
> Last Saturday was the last time that System Restore worked for me.
> Counterspy set a restore point before doing its thing. Since then I
havn't
> been able to create a restore point all week. I'm running XP home
edition.
> This is what pops up when I try to create a restore point.
> System Restore is unable to create a resore point. Please restart the
> computer, and then run System Restore again.
>
> Restarting will not help.
> Any suggestions on how to get this back in working order?

"Ric" <rewing@cebridge.net> wrote:

>Last Saturday was the last time that System Restore worked for me.
>Counterspy set a restore point before doing its thing. Since then I havn't
>been able to create a restore point all week. I'm running XP home edition.
>This is what pops up when I try to create a restore point.
>System Restore is unable to create a resore point. Please restart the
>computer, and then run System Restore again.
>
>Restarting will not help.
>Any suggestions on how to get this back in working order?

See MVP Bert Kinney's System Restore pages:
http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html especially the section on "System
Restore Fails".

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Hi,

Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in Windows XP.

Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
Click on System in the left pane.
Click the gray title “Source” at the top of the source name column in the right pane to
sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below the two arrows in the
upper right corner. This will copy the event information to the clipboard. Paste the
information for each of the two event here. This will help us in diagnosing the problem.
System Restore Failures to restore:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
System Restore fails to create an automatic restore point:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srauto.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

Ric wrote:
> Last Saturday was the last time that System Restore
> worked for me. Counterspy set a restore point before
> doing its thing. Since then I havn't been able to create
> a restore point all week. I'm running XP home edition.
> This is what pops up when I try to create a restore
> point. System Restore is unable to create a resore point. Please restart the computer,
> and then run System Restore
> again.
> Restarting will not help.
> Any suggestions on how to get this back in working order?

Bert
There's nothing under the source column with "sr" or "srservice".

Ric
"Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in Windows XP.
>
> Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
> Click on System in the left pane.
> Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source name column in the
> right pane to sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
> Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below the
> two arrows in the upper right corner. This will copy the event information
> to the clipboard. Paste the information for each of the two event here.
> This will help us in diagnosing the problem.
> System Restore Failures to restore:
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
> System Restore fails to create an automatic restore point:
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srauto.html
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://bertk.mvps.org
>

> Ric wrote:
>> Last Saturday was the last time that System Restore
>> worked for me. Counterspy set a restore point before
>> doing its thing. Since then I havn't been able to create
>> a restore point all week. I'm running XP home edition.
>> This is what pops up when I try to create a restore
>> point. System Restore is unable to create a resore point. Please restart
>> the computer, and then run System Restore
>> again.
>> Restarting will not help.
>> Any suggestions on how to get this back in working order?

Hi Ric,

I would suggest following the troubleshooting tips on this page.